Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry about all the posts i put up..

i had a problem with some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and i took it in, the mechanic said he was going to try to put some liquid in the coolant to see if it worked.

after about 3 days, i think i started to see some smoke again, but i wasn't sure. then i changed my fuel filter and pcv value, and it started to smoke alot more of the same color (white) smoke.

it only does it when it accelartates from a stop and very rarly when its already going in the higher gears (Automatic transmission)

what do you guys think i should do?

i bought some stuff called block sealer or something that is supposed to treat the head gaskets. should i not put this in?

·
Registered
303 Posts
It sounds like the valve stem seals to me. It happened to my 91 and it was a pain to change them.

Are you consuming oil? If so how many qts per miles?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jer28 said:
It sounds like the valve stem seals to me. It happened to my 91 and it was a pain to change them.

Are you consuming oil? If so how many qts per miles?

i havent seen a change in oil or coolant!

before i took it to the mechanic, there was a little bit of drop in coolant but not anymore..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i read that a bad pcv valve maybe the problem, should i go out and buy another one?

i blew in one end and air didnt go in, i blew in the other and air did go in. so i thought it worked.

i read that if the engine is on, and you put a piece of paper where the oil cap is, it should suck it down, when i did that, it was kinda blowing in and out

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one more thing, when the smoke comes out, sometimes i hear a rattling kind of noise from the engine compartment, around the passangers side

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm new here so take this as you will, but generally:

- White smoke = water/coolant leak in cooling jacket in block
- Blue smoke = oil leak
- black smoke = running rich

Having said that, it's cold out and most cars have white smoke until they warm up.

Based on what you're saying I would guess it's valve/valve seal related and you are burning oil (Sometimes the blueish color is hard to tell from white).

Valve keepers go bad all the time in chevy's (What I am used to working on) and they have a distinct puff of blue smoke when you start them if they sit a while.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: i added some sort of sealer crap i found at autozone, and rechanged the pvc value and it all went away.

im going to put the old valve in tomorrow to see if that was the problem.

thanks!

jj

1 - 7 of 7 Posts