Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, i know that there are several posts on this topic, and I have done my research. I bookmarked the NPM article on the pinout swaps, and I found almost all of the information that I need. I have a 94 XE and I have the cluster from a 93 SE-R. When I wire the tach cluster up in my car, will the speedo reading be off because of the 150mph limit vs. the 130mph limit? If so, can i fix this by swapping my original speedo into the new cluster? And also, i know the redline reading will be off, but will the tach reading be correct? And, while i'm on a roll, one more question. On the back of the cluster (top left if you are looking at it) There is a black box with a connector in the bottom of it on the SE-r Cluster. I am yet to pull my XE cluster out, but I want to know if mine will have that box/connector also? Is it a cruise control unit or something along those lines? Hate to bother you if these questions have been posted, but I haven't found them yet
-Bullitt

·
Fearsome Fabricator
213 Posts
will the speedo reading be off because of the 150mph limit vs. the 130mph limit?

It shouldn't.

If so, can i fix this by swapping my original speedo into the new cluster?

A couple screws holds the speedo in - I swapped mine so I could keep the same odometer without tampering with it.

And also, i know the redline reading will be off, but will the tach reading be correct?

The ECU will start shutting down the fuel before you get there, so it isn't a worry. The reading will be correct, as it responds only to ignition pulses, where there still are only four.

There is a black box with a connector in the bottom of it on the SE-r Cluster.... mine will have that box/connector also?

Yep. Can't remember what it was for. Seatbelt buzzer?

I swapped in a GXE tach cluster into mine. It looked EXACTLY like the SE-R cluster, save the redline/speedo. The swap is very doable. Also, to double check your pinouts, the connectors in the cluster are labelled. do them one at a time and you're fine. Easy if you can trace the paths too.

Works sweet.

G

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea man, thanks for the help. My question about the speedo was, on the SER the speedo reads to 150 and the numbers are closer. Is the needle gonna increase slower to compensate, or will it increase at the same rate as with the XE cluster because the car doesnt know the difference? I guess I can figure it out once i get the car running again (blown engine) and swap it back if i need to. Thanks though man

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump, i would really like to know if that will work before i put a couple of hours into the project sorry for the bump but...

·
Registered
24 Posts
if you car has a cable speedo it might be a little off but not much. If you have a speedo that is controled by a wire it will read off of your vss vehicle speed sensor. it should be just fine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
No, your speedo will not be off. I have an SE-R cluster in my SE, and I have verified, that the speedo, odometer, and tach are pretty damn accurate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea, mine is a 94, so it is an electronic speedo. Sweet, that means that everything should be accurate? Thanks guys, that is what i needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts