Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 91 240... The guy I bought it from decided to get drunk and go do burnouts and now the car doesn't move. He claims it's the clutch but I need opinions from someone that knows what they're talking about. The clutch pedal still has pressure but as I stated earlier, the car doesn't move. You can shift the transmission through all five gears and reverse without pressing the clutch pedal. He said he did a couple of burnouts and then he stopped to do another and it just wouldn't move. Does it sound like the clutch or could it possibly be the transmission? He also said when he smelt clutch burning when you put it in gear and rev it (even though it's not moving). It's a 91 with 175k miles. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could be a blown transmission. If the gears are stripped out. Drive shaft could have snapped. rear diff pinion gear shredded, Theres alot that it could be. even try taking the shifter out from inside the car ans see if he snapped that. Start with basics. Not moving. Check driveshaft and the shifter inside the trans first. Take the boot off and the shifter plastic cover off it should just pop off. Then you will see 4 10mm bolts holding down the rubber boot and then theres a snap ring that holds the shifter in. If you dont have one get one from sears or lows... make sure it can do both pinch and seperate they are better IMO because you then have 1 tool insead of 2. if thats the prob just go to the junk yard with the same tools and get a new shifter. If it is a transmission problem then you are screwed mostly... Same thing appilys junk yard again but remember it is a geat price to get a transmission there but it is a junk yard still.
Clutch problems are an easy fix. just get a clutch and swap it out thats fairly easy too. But check and eliminate possibilities starting with the easyest

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The clutch has no effect on what the car does anymore. You can put it in any gear and let the clutch out and it doesn't attempt to move at all. I don't hear any odd noises or anything. Without pressing the clutch you can move the shifter between gears with ease. It doesn't feel like the gears are stripped out, you can feel it slide into each gear. As I said before, when the car is sitting still while in gear you can smell clutch burning after a minute or two. Would the clutch just stop engaging all of the sudden after doing brake standing burnouts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts