Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i just picked up a 97 4dr 2.4 altima gse i think it is i had it like 3 days

i have a coupple of problems my speedo works but the trip and milage dont any more is this cable driven or a sensor ?? and were is it ?

2nd problem i have a crank sensor ecu code and i have been told in 97 they combined the crank with the dizzy is this true ??

i went 2 crappy tire and they said 35$ but it was going to take a long time 2 get it so i went 2 the dealership and he just told me 2 drive with the light on becuase its like 500$ because its in the dizzy?

does anybody have a dizzy for sale if this is true ?

im in canada nr toronto

·
Registered
241 Posts
Only very old cars have cable-based speed sensor. Newer cars with computers use and electronic-base type called a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). It is located to the rear of the transmission.

You would have to replace the instrument cluster in order to fix the odometer issue. Any instrument cluster from a '95-'97 Altima will work as long as it is from the same transmission type.

The camshaft position sensor (CMP) is inside the distributor. The '95 and newer engines also have a crankshaft position sensor (CKP) in the transmission. So basically you have two different sensors. The CMP is used to time your engine while the CKP is used for engine misfiring detection. Give us the exact diagnostic code and we can help you out further.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi thanks alot man i dident think anybody used this forum the civic forum was alot more active :)

i apreciate the help :)

there has been a development the car is faster now i unplugged the large socket from the dizzy and now the car boots along just fine :)
my guess it was a fualty conection or somethin

At idle there is a slight fluctuation sometimes. I just had a remote starter installed and it turns the motor over but it cant start it sometimes coughs and splutters but not starting but wen i use the key its starting 1st time :)

is there a way of making the ecu flash me the code??? my buddy used his computer at the shop last time and he told me its the crank sensor

but i have never flashed a code or anything myself

i have done it with my civic but never the altima

ooo and at some point on the way 2 work my trip meter went up 10k and then stopped working again haha :) wierd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok realy feel dumb question weres the ecu???

i just looked under the carpet on the passangers sode and theres a bunch of plastik every other car i have had its been there ??

·
Registered
241 Posts
The ECU is to the right of the accelerator and sits underneath the heater unit. Its behind the plastic access cover. To flash the codes, just put the ignition swith to ON, and use a small flathead screwdriver to SOFTLY turn the ECU screw full right, and then full left. The CEL will flash back the codes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts