Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does the 6 bolt or 5 bolt output flanges have to do with a LSD conversion? What does the gear ratio have to do with it too? If I was dropping one of these on an Auto 4 lug 240 without ABS, are there any extra costs or supplies or flanges I might need? Can I use my original Axels? Does anybody have part numbers, my dealership has fools working there so I like to know the part#.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
kellen_wynn said:
What does the 6 bolt or 5 bolt output flanges have to do with a LSD conversion? What does the gear ratio have to do with it too? If I was dropping one of these on an Auto 4 lug 240 without ABS, are there any extra costs or supplies or flanges I might need? Can I use my original Axels? Does anybody have part numbers, my dealership has fools working there so I like to know the part#.
Okay. Let's start from the beginning.
Swapping a VLSD into your 240SX can be done a number of different ways. There are basically 2 types of R200 VLSD rearends. One has 5 bolt output shafts, and one has 6 bolt output shafts. The 240SX R200 open diff that you're swapping out to install the VLSD has 6 bolt output shafts.
Here you are faced with 2 options: buy a 5-bolt output shaft R200 VLSD (bad choice), or buy a 6-bolt output shaft VLSD (good choice.) I bought the 6-bolt output shaft VLSD, and it lined up with the driveshaft and the output shafts perfectly. If you buy a 5-bolt output shaft VLSD, you need the 5-bolt output shafts, which will cost you another $200.
On BOTH R200 VLSD's, you need to remove the back cover due to the ABS sensor, and install the smaller back cover from your 240SX open differential. This is the only adjustment that you need to make.
My advice is to do exactly what I did: buy a 6-bolt output shaft R200 VLSD, swap the back covers, change the fluid, drop it in place, and reconnect the driveshaft.

If you need pictures, you shall have pictures.

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the most help I have recieved on the subject! Thanks! Pictures would be great! The reason I asked the question because this guy had two S13/S14 VLSD's for sale; one 5 bolt, and the other 6 bolt output shafts both w/o axels. So your saying with a 6 bolt all I need to do is remove my open diff. Take off the back plate put it on the VLSD and just bolt it up to my car. I dont need to buy any other parts besides oil or do I need axels too? Is gear ratio any concern for me?

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
kellen_wynn said:
This was the most help I have recieved on the subject! Thanks! Pictures would be great! The reason I asked the question because this guy had two S13/S14 VLSD's for sale; one 5 bolt, and the other 6 bolt output shafts both w/o axels. So your saying with a 6 bolt all I need to do is remove my open diff. Take off the back plate put it on the VLSD and just bolt it up to my car. I dont need to buy any other parts besides oil or do I need axels too? Is gear ratio any concern for me?
You don't need to buy the output shafts (axles) if you have buy a 6 bolt output flange VLSD. It will line right up.
The final drive ratio is wider with the VLSD. This translates, to some extent, to slower acceleration and higher topspeed capability. It widens all the gears. I cannot tell you the driving impression difference, because I swapped VLSD in at the same time as an S14 engine, so I can't tell you how it affected acceleration. Needless to say, with the VLSD, you knock a very significant ammount of time off of your 0-60.
A guy in my town has an S13 with SR20, and I thought it was mostly stock because he still had open diff. He just ran 11.99 in the quarter with an OPEN DIFF. This past week he swapped in a KAAZ 2-way LSD and some other goodies. Yikes...

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Follow up question, how much is the VLSD? Mine came from a 1995 Infiniti J30, and costed $270 for the unit and $35 to ship to my house. Synthetic LSD fluid was $9 from a local oil manufacturer (my city is home to AMSOIL). I still think that VLSD is the best mod you can do to the 240SX short of engine swaps and turbo. With a manual 240SX, the three best things you can do to revolutionize the feel of driving your car are a racing clutch (Stage I, don't go all out unless you have huge power), short throw, and VLSD. You can do all those for under $500.
You don't need to do everything from my setup (S14 KA swap, T04E turbo, Supra injetors, Z32 pump, SAFC-II, Z32 MAF) to fall in love with your car again.
If you really want to go crazy, I'd do the Sumi brakes and the manual conversion.

·
Registered
139 Posts
bridrive55 said:
Okay. Let's start from the beginning.
Swapping a VLSD into your 240SX can be done a number of different ways. There are basically 2 types of R200 VLSD rearends. One has 5 bolt output shafts, and one has 6 bolt output shafts. The 240SX R200 open diff that you're swapping out to install the VLSD has 6 bolt output shafts.
Here you are faced with 2 options: buy a 5-bolt output shaft R200 VLSD (bad choice), or buy a 6-bolt output shaft VLSD (good choice.) I bought the 6-bolt output shaft VLSD, and it lined up with the driveshaft and the output shafts perfectly. If you buy a 5-bolt output shaft VLSD, you need the 5-bolt output shafts, which will cost you another $200.
On BOTH R200 VLSD's, you need to remove the back cover due to the ABS sensor, and install the smaller back cover from your 240SX open differential. This is the only adjustment that you need to make.
My advice is to do exactly what I did: buy a 6-bolt output shaft R200 VLSD, swap the back covers, change the fluid, drop it in place, and reconnect the driveshaft.

If you need pictures, you shall have pictures.
If im not mistaken,all s14 240sx's that came with ABS(as an option), also automatically came with the lsd?

What is the diff ratio for the j30 lsd?

pics would be nice! :)

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The back cover on the S14 Diff house is two bolts, a S13 needs four. So all you need to do is swap the back covers. But my question was: Can you just swap out the internals?

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
kellen_wynn said:
The back cover on the S14 Diff house is two bolts, a S13 needs four. So all you need to do is swap the back covers. But my question was: Can you just swap out the internals?
Lol, that would be a huge pain in the ass. You would need to replace everything BUT the housing and completely reassemble the differential. It will take hours and not save you money. Just get an R200 VLSD and swap the back covers so that it bolts up. This is the time-tested cheapest and easiest option. Think about it: for $300, you can drop in a mod that will make your car .8 seconds faster in the 1/4, driftable, and fully monstrous in the launch. It's the best mod that you can do for the money, and one of the most drastic improvements to driving impression that money can buy. Good luck...

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You the man Brid! I'll be dropping in my S14 6 bolt VLSD next weekend or whenever I'm not working the whole week. Then we'll see if its all its cracked up to be. I paid $200 for it which was more than I thought it was worth(prove me wrong, VLSD). Thanks again! :cheers:

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
kellen_wynn said:
You the man Brid! I'll be dropping in my S14 6 bolt VLSD next weekend or whenever I'm not working the whole week. Then we'll see if its all its cracked up to be. I paid $200 for it which was more than I thought it was worth(prove me wrong, VLSD). Thanks again! :cheers:
You won't be disappointed! Just don't push too much past 300whp. :)

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
nismoslut said:
why not , jw im doing this as we speak
I have right around 300hp too, and the VLSD can't take much abuse at this power. It varies from diff to diff, but VLSD's are not known for longevity on high power setups. Drifting is murder on VLSD's, and a lot of 300+hp drifters use helical diffs, or some cheapo's use Phantom Grips. I hate the Phantom Grip, so when I blow my VLSD (which will probably be pretty soon, I'm upgrading to 1000cc injectors this summer) I'm probably going to get a real 2-way helical LSD.

·
Metal > Rap
668 Posts
Would a S15 LSD fit up. I got 1 laying around, just waiting to get money for custom axles.

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally the Diff has arrived. But, I have some questions before I get started.

To start I'm going to go to nissan and get a new gasket. And some fluid!

1) The diff was shipped with the back plate off, should I spray out the diff before I install it? I've notice some hard chunks of grime in the housing. 2) I was told this was a VLSD off an S14 yet I see no evidence of the orange sticker. I have a pic. Is it the real deal? 3) The diff came with no output shaft hubs. Can I just take the ones off my Open diff?

Any recomendations and tips would be helpfull. Which fluids? Who should I take it to if I run into problems? etc.

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some pics

Attachments

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Okay, that's not good. You're going to need to install some output flanges, so get ready to rip apart your open diff to take the flanges out and make the ole switcheroo. The backplate isn't a problem, as you're going to need your 240 backplate anyways. The fluid might also not be a problem. I would flush it out with some gasoline, this will remove the excess residue and gunk. Hook it up with a new gasket, dial in the back cover, and fill it up with differential oil. Any LSD fluid(I just use the hypoid-type fluid) will work.

·
Paddle Shifted
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
URGENT!!!

I'm getting conflicting information about the side flanges on the differental housing. My boy Brid, your my BOY BRID, says I can take the side flanges from my Open Diff and use them in my VLSD. But another person said the open diff flanges wont lock up with the LSD and will act like a open diff. And I need to find VLSD side flanges.

Is this true or am I safe to use the open diff flanges?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts