Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another issue that has come up. Actually, this began before the tranny went out a couple weeks ago, but I would like to get this problem taken care of soon. The light that illuminates the area showing what gear you are in has gone out. This is on a 1999 Sentra with an automatic transmission, by the way. It was flickering intermittently for a while, but now the light has gone out completely. Does this sound like a loose/burned out light bulb or something more serious? If the bulb is the problem, are they easy to get to and replace, or should I take it into a shop somewhere and have this done? I have tried searching this forum for an older, related thread, but no to avail. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
thats just going to be the bulb easy to replace uses a type 194 getting to it requires removing the cap around the shifter and then reaching in there unscrewing a light base mounted under the PRND12 and replaceing the bulb

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MagicPie said:
thats just going to be the bulb easy to replace uses a type 194 getting to it requires removing the cap around the shifter and then reaching in there unscrewing a light base mounted under the PRND12 and replaceing the bulb

Ok, I finally tried getting to the bulb today. It was a bit tricky for me, but I did finally manage to get in there and get to it. It appears that the bulb is attached to a wire harness, but I can't get the bulb itself to come out. It looks like everything is one single unit. While the bulb/wiring harness pops out, I can't unscrew the bulb to remove it, allowing me to take it into a parts store to buy a new one. Does anybody know how to go from here? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
If you have the actual wire harness and can see the bulb the grap the tan or ogrange looking base and pull up on the bulb itself it will come out easy, if you buy a 194 bulb you can tell how the bulb sits in the base. if you cant see the bulb itself then you need to give a half twist to the base for it to come off from the area it lights

if your having trouble then remove the center console area both parts are required to be removed to get to it

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Auto Shifter Light Bulb

MagicPie said:
If you have the actual wire harness and can see the bulb the grap the tan or ogrange looking base and pull up on the bulb itself it will come out easy, if you buy a 194 bulb you can tell how the bulb sits in the base. if you cant see the bulb itself then you need to give a half twist to the base for it to come off from the area it lights

if your having trouble then remove the center console area both parts are required to be removed to get to it
Hi MagicPie, I have the same issue with my 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE. I can't even begin as to where the screws to remove the the gear cover or panel (whatever it's called). Is it the light bulb be easy to replace as well? What type of bulb do I need? Thanks for any help you can give me. Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts