Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it took me a while but i finally found the fuel filter,my question is on the ouside of the filter it says i should bleed the fuel line before replacing it because of the pressure.I was wondering if i could just slowly turn the screw on the top hose to let some of the pressure out.Im just dont want it to spray gas everywhere when i take it out.

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
Loosen the clamp all the way and slide it on the hose out of the way. Get a towel... wrap it around the filter and the hose and try to separate the two with a twisting motion. There's some pressure but it's not like it's a V6 or V8 fuel rail. It's nothing.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Twiz said:
Loosen the clamp all the way and slide it on the hose out of the way. Get a towel... wrap it around the filter and the hose and try to separate the two with a twisting motion. There's some pressure but it's not like it's a V6 or V8 fuel rail. It's nothing.
DON'T DO THIS!!!!!

There is 35psi of pressure on the fuel system. It will spray fuel all over the place.

Let your car sit overnight, and do it in the morning. the pressure will have bled down by then.

Lew

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
It's weird cause I always disconnect it like that... I did it twice... mine didn't spray with the towel wrapped around it... also I disconnect the top side (hose from the engine first) then the other. However I did let the car sit a few hours before this, mostly cause the engine is hot and that's a fire hazard.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Twiz said:
It's weird cause I always disconnect it like that... I did it twice... mine didn't spray with the towel wrapped around it... also I disconnect the top side (hose from the engine first) then the other. However I did let the car sit a few hours before this, mostly cause the engine is hot and that's a fire hazard.
You are giving advice that can get someone hurt. If the pressure in the fuel system does not drop as fast as yours, when the hose clamp is loosened, fuel sprays out immediately. Following your advice someone can get fuel in their eyes. If they don't allow the engine to cool before loosening it, there can be a fire or explosion. Even if the probability is low, it is a chance that should not be taken.

Suppose someone gets hurt taking your advice. You are liable to get sued.

The factory service manual is emphatic about releasing the pressure before working on the fuel system.

Lew

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
I agree he shouldn't work on his engine at all if he has no idea what he's dealing with. Actually I'll stop giving any kind of advice if you insist I'm wrong. Doing this the next day in the morning won't help with anything if he sticks the key in the ignition and brings the pressure back without starting the engine.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i pull the fuse to the pump with the car running, did the filter right after and only a dribble of gas came out

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Slacky said:
i pull the fuse to the pump with the car running, did the filter right after and only a dribble of gas came out
That's the procedure for removing the fuel pressure in the factory service manual.

Lew

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i wouldnt have put the key in or started it anyway thats why i figured id let it sit overnight,thanx for all the feedback.One other thing i was wondering if the fuel pump from an se-r would work on my 1.6, also would the starter work??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
is it , i thought i was smart for comin up with that one i just pulled it and waited for it to stall and i was like damn im a genious

1 - 11 of 11 Posts