Nissan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Glad to hear there were no big issues. Even replacing that rear caliper that is sticking is not that expensive, and it might only be the boots and pins needing replacement. As X-Hale said it takes the pressure off in looking for a replacement and frankly should make you willing to invest in the X a bit longer. Bonne chance with it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well, the rear left brake pad was really worn, which was odd as I had the rotors and pads done last June. This shop suspected no lubrication was applied. So I had to redo the pads to pass the safety and that was it! They gave me a deal (I think) and charged $205.00 to do it with pads they had on hand. I guess they were impressed how good the Little Silver Bus looked for its high mileage, and no suspension issues, either. Tightened up the loose heat shield as I mentioned some rattle was annoying me. These guys are pretty good; I think I will use them for more stuff now, and not bother with the young cheaper guy anymore. Anyway, on with the search... :geek:
ah good news for you. It's always good to have a few mechanic shops and be on good terms with the mechanics and not put ALL your trust in one shop/one mechanic just because ''i trust them/they always been good to me''. There are numerous reasons for this. Sometimes you have a shop/mechanic with a rigid, cocky, know it all attitude and set in their ways . Sometimes you get the inexperienced mechanics or ones with personal problems/dug-alcohol issues. One big reason too is when you think you found that ''perfect shop/great mechanic'' and put all your trust into them , invest your time and money with them, they can gain your confidence and rip you off by padding the bill or doing unnecessary work/parts replacements on your vehicle or not even really doing the work they got paid for. It does happen.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Soooo....After hours of endless scrolling through Kijiji and Facebook and Autotrader, a guy emailed me last night in response to our ad looking for an X-Trail. He was just about to list a 2006 Bonavista model with 211K on it. Original owner, regular trips to the dealer, service records, two sets of tires on rims (Pirelli all seasons and Michelin Ice winters), was going to list it at $5K, but as his mechanic told him it would need a brake job down the road, he asked for $4K firm and even offered to meet us half way, saving us a bunch of driving. I had actually passed on a few good ones in Calgary as my hubby has not driven in big city horrible traffic for years and it was a concern! This was a very nice couple ( I googled him and he builds tiny houses), and we felt pretty good about the whole thing. It is the same color as ours (silver)!! But garaged so in much better shape than ours was, and 75K fewer kms. So, I will still be hanging around here for awhile yet, fellas! :cool:

IMG_5432.jpg IMG_5430.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
ahhhhhh lo0ks good. Congrats.....you do need a windshield. When you get it replaced, ask for a ''SHADED wndshield'' . I had the plain factory tinted windshield and after a year ( i'm an autoglass installer ) i asked my insurance company if okay to install a shaded band windshield. Sometimes there is no cost or very little cost difference. But what a nice difference to have the green or blue shaded band at the top. Congrats on the truck.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
There is some basis to the old adage ''go with what you know''. Congrats. I just don't get the only 75K less mileage. I thought your original was up to 435,000km, so the difference should be 220,000? Anyway, I hope you can maximize what you can sell the original for with its recent safety inspection pass. The Bonavista's have a good set of features.
Does it actually need a windshield? I can't tell from the pics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
ahhhhhh lo0ks good. Congrats.....you do need a windshield. When you get it replaced, ask for a ''SHADED wndshield'' . I had the plain factory tinted windshield and after a year ( i'm an autoglass installer ) i asked my insurance company if okay to install a shaded band windshield. Sometimes there is no cost or very little cost difference. But what a nice difference to have the green or blue shaded band at the top. Congrats on the truck.
Thanks for the tip on the glass!
Very nice! It even has roof rails.
Ya! My old one just had rails, and came with ugly racks which we sold...This one came with some rack extensions for skis and canoes, which I doubt we will use.
There is some basis to the old adage ''go with what you know''. Congrats. I just don't get the only 75K less mileage. I thought your original was up to 435,000km, so the difference should be 220,000? Anyway, I hope you can maximize what you can sell the original for with its recent safety inspection pass. The Bonavista's have a good set of features.
Does it actually need a windshield? I can't tell from the pics.
I meant 75K less than the kms on our first one when we bought it (286K), but ya, half the kms of what we have now, haha! The shop that did the safety on ours suggested listing it at 1500, and thought I could get 1200. One of our mechanics keeps reminding me to call him when we are ready to sell, so hopefully he has someone in mind.
Yes, this one needs a windshield, which he mentioned before we met. The crack is just high enough to cause glare in my eyes. But we will get that replaced asap. This one seems peppier! Anyway, I will have fun going through it and finding out what it needs, and what they "forgot" to mention. He did say that the rear wiper had a problem, which appears to be a missing fluid nozzle; you can hear the pump go but nothing comes out. Had a similar issue on the last one. A very thorough safety was done for this, thankfully, and he said to call the dealer and get the service history sent over as he did not save every single invoice. Looks like he also used a couple other local shops for repairs. It has a very new battery, too!

·
Registered
459 Posts
oh hey Molly, another glass replacement tip: When you get the windshield replaced, ask for the technician to look for PINCHWELD RUST. ....pinchweld is the metal frame that the windshield sits ontop of the urethane glue. Often the pinchweld develops rusty holes and will spread like cancer to other areas. If you get an infuriating moldy mildew smell, condensation or water drip from inside, chaNCES are you have a rusty pinchweld with perforations. This would be the ideal time to get either your glass technician to sand down the rust, add a pinchweld rust primer ( and /or body filler) or bring your Xtrail to an approved body shop that has a dedicated Auto glass technician do it all in their bodyshop. The autoglass shop may charge very little to nothing depending on the rust severity, the bodyshop manager tho may have to mark up his/her costs for service and materials. But well worth it. I replaced my own windshield 4-5 years ago. I noticed i had some minor rusty looking surfaces near the top of windshield area before i started. Sure enough, i remove my old windshield and remove the old urethane glue....under neath was surface rust along the entire pinchweld. So i took a drill with wire wheel and removed as much rust, added pinchweld primer , sadded another coat, let it dry for 2 hours. Then put the black urethane windshield primer ( bonding agent/rust inhibitor) and applied the new urethane glue / installed my new windshield. My glass has never leaked since i replaced it. I did have a minor drip from my head liner area above the rear view mirror 3 years ago. I traced that down to the roof mounted external antenna base. Easy fix.....removed the external antenna ( hidden bolt under a cap on the headliner, pry off gently the antenna base) cleaned the roof mounting surface area, i used a bit of Dap Ultra Quick Seal i had a 1/3rd tube in my tool shed, remounted and no more leaks! Anyways, ask to have a look at the condition of your pinchweld to see if rust repair is needed and also ask if your glass replacement includes a brand new windshield moulding...i highly recommend a new w/shield moulding so it finishes off the replacement and no further cosmetic problems later.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the window tips, Tony. Looks like the guy we chose always replaces the molding, but he cannot get tinted glass. That is OK, though. He didn't even want our credit card number to order it...small town life! :sneaky:
On another note, I went through the small pile of maintenance receipts this morning and also went through the apparently thorough inspection it came with, highlighting the urgent matters and the less critical issues, so I could call the mechanic who did it and ask him to explain a few things. We had experienced a sort of clunky sound in the rear going over bumps yesterday which we did not notice when we test drove it as it was full of winter tires rolling around, clunking. The guy was very nice and explained various things and said he did not notice any clunking. So, I take it to our new favorite local shop, and in five minutes the guy drove it, put it in the air, and told me it was the left rear sway bar bushing. He showed me the problem, and said it was a cheap and fast fix. He also said they would have marked that with an X if they had done the inspection. Next Tuesday, I go in to get that fixed. He will also go over the brakes, rotors and calipers which the inspection said all needed to be replaced. They told me often the calipers do not need replacing, but need to be unstuck, which would save money. A complete brake job would run about $900.00 with their parts, and I am welcome to buy from Rock Auto to possibly save money. According to the inspection, we will also have to clean the battery contacts as they are apparently corroded, and the block heater is probably not working. And he said there may be an engine coolant leak. So it begins... :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
255 Posts
As soon as I read clunking in the rear I said to myself sway bar bushings. I replaced both of mine when I bought the car.
BTW I'm using my X-Trail for a work vehicle this summer. I can't bring myself to load up tools and materials in the Benz. Also the folks on this forum are pleasant even though we are few.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks for the window tips, Tony. Looks like the guy we chose always replaces the molding, but he cannot get tinted glass. That is OK, though. He didn't even want our credit card number to order it...small town life! :sneaky:
On another note, I went through the small pile of maintenance receipts this morning and also went through the apparently thorough inspection it came with, highlighting the urgent matters and the less critical issues, so I could call the mechanic who did it and ask him to explain a few things. We had experienced a sort of clunky sound in the rear going over bumps yesterday which we did not notice when we test drove it as it was full of winter tires rolling around, clunking. The guy was very nice and explained various things and said he did not notice any clunking. So, I take it to our new favorite local shop, and in five minutes the guy drove it, put it in the air, and told me it was the left rear sway bar bushing. He showed me the problem, and said it was a cheap and fast fix. He also said they would have marked that with an X if they had done the inspection. Next Tuesday, I go in to get that fixed. He will also go over the brakes, rotors and calipers which the inspection said all needed to be replaced. They told me often the calipers do not need replacing, but need to be unstuck, which would save money. A complete brake job would run about $900.00 with their parts, and I am welcome to buy from Rock Auto to possibly save money. According to the inspection, we will also have to clean the battery contacts as they are apparently corroded, and the block heater is probably not working. And he said there may be an engine coolant leak. So it begins... :unsure::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Well, lol, it is a used vehicle and somebody sold it for a reason, so chances are you will need to pay to replace a part or two/service something!......we all have been in this used car situation. Sometimes tho you can buy a used vehicle and feel like you struck gold. My brother's cars are a good example. One is a 04 toyota matrix i originally found for my father when he was age 81. That car went to one brother and has been an excellent used car buy with pretty much nothing gone wrong, just tires and fluids, filters and after 13 years it finally needed a new starter. The other brother bought a used 2014 toyota corolla and has had less then one year, so far just puts gas in it and no issues at all. I too have had great success with all the japanese vehicles i have boughten ( i lost count...8? ). I just buy them, routine maintenance , an occasional minor replacement part and then sell the vehicle after 3-4 years from boredom. Best of luck with your latest Xtrail, hopefully problem free and a great vehicle for your needs.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
:p We had a fun day! We drove to Waterton Park to check things out, about a 40 minute drive....parked at a pullover, and I hear this sort of tocking sound from the left rear. What is it? I go out and hear it coming from the wheel, and the rim is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!! And there is black sooty stuff on it. Then more noises follow, kind of a thrumming sound for a bit. We figured it was cooling off sounds. Unsure of what to do, I called our shop in Pincher Creek( luckily there was cell service). She advised to let it cool and make our way into the park townsite to a small garage whose owners' she knows well. The guys waited till it was safe to handle, and took off the wheel and the caliper was seized. He managed to get it unstuck, applied some WD40, and assured us it should not catch fire or anything, but that new calipers were a must. They didn't even charge us. Sadly, the fix didn't last long and it started getting fairly hot again. Called our shop on the way home (we stopped periodically to let it cool down a bit), and told them just order everything and fix it asap. I fail to understand how the mechanic who did the safety for this vehicle didn't think it was more serious. He told them (and told me) that ya, the brakes and maybe the calipers will need doing in the next few months or so. The safety I had done on our old Ex revealed uneven brake pads in the rear, one down very low, and he wouldn't pass it unless I got it fixed. Guess I am a bit disappointed, and now wonder how accurate the rest of the inspection actually is, haha!! :unsure:

·
Registered
459 Posts
not to be a downer.....think long and hard if you want to continue with this vehicle if it seems it may be a money pit. Not sure how much you paid for it versus how much currently you spending to fix it and the future repairs you were advised will be needing . Hold off putting in a new windshield if you can. Fix them brakes and see how the truck behaves. If you keep getting hammered with more repairs, maybe consider selling it and getting something else ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey, thanks, Tony. We already ordered the windshield, so no going back on that. And we were advised a future brake job would be in the cards, but it is just that it happened a LOT faster than we expected! I suspect that these folks knew things needed work sooner than they were letting on, but hubby was suggesting they may have had no clue if they don't know shit about repairs. And maybe their mechanic is just not as good as the ones we found down here; seriously, the sway bar bushing and a nearly seized caliper do not just manifest themselves in a couple of days! But I remain hopeful. The proceeds from selling our older one would pay for all these repairs, but we won't sell it until we are sure we can trust this new one! This is why I like this forum... I can rely on you guys. :geek:

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Is it the caliper that is seizing or the caliper line that is damaged? You may as well order and replace the flexible brake line as well. I had that issue on my rear passenger side. Replacing the caliper did not quite do it. You have me thinking it might be worthwhile for you to harvest some parts you know are good on your old one. If you order from Rock auto and buy something like the Centric rear caliper, you will get most of the price back with a core refund, and a rear brake line is roughly $20. The Delphi rear stabilizer link for 16.62 each or per side is very nice quality and inexpensive.
Another cheap option for the caliper would be Autoshack-- they do not list anything for the X trail anymore but the rear calipers are the same on the first-gen Rogues-- they have new (not rebuilt) calipers for 65 each with no core deposit, but I have no idea if they work well. Of course, if the bad caliper damaged the rotor and brake pads, the price for the job will go up as you will need new rotors and rear brake pads as well. You can do the math, but I think you might consider the option of parting your old one out and then selling it for scrap, but the labor costs might be too expensive. Still, with the windshield it seems you need over 600-700 in parts. I would think if you are only going to get 1K or so for yours, harvesting parts and then selling the remains for scrap might be the way to go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
We gave the go-ahead to the shop yesterday to order the required parts. The shop in Waterton said the caliper was definitely seized. The inspection showed uneven wear on both sets of pads so they would need doing. I did a quick price check on Rock Auto and came up with about $300.00 in parts, $115.00 shipping and $114.00 core costs. We tried to return the used caliper from our old Ford truck but the shipping cost outweighed any financial benefit. I'll make sure we get some sort of core refund from the new ones. As far as using Old Exxie for parts, I think we prefer to sell it as it will still be useful to someone for some time!

Wondering about how many hours of labour is the norm for all this? I have only had rotors and brake pads done on the other one, not calipers.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Changing the caliper would not add much extra time to a brake job. It could even be less labour because everything is clean and new. Bleeding the brakes may take a bit of time but new brake fluid is a good idea at this point.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,090 Posts
Replacing the caliper and flexible brake line will add about 1/2 hour to the brake job. On mine even after I replaced that rear passenger caliper I would still get some brake rub and noise, changing the hose fixed that. It's a common issue on some Nissan's apparently.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Update: Well, it is all fixed. Picked it up yesterday morning (took a couple extra days for parts), and attempted Waterton Park again, this time successfully! The very good news was that upon inspection, the guys realized all four calipers were reparable, saving me a bundle. Apparently, they had just never been serviced. It cost me just over $1050.00 for new brake pads, rotors, sway bar bushings and labour. Pretty happy with this shop, as they do not charge for every little thing and appear to be honest. Funny part is we drove our other one in the meantime, and I heard a periodic squeal from the left rear. As it was getting close to needing an oil change, I left it there yesterday and they found that caliper was just starting to stick, so they fixed it up for free. New glass goes in Monday morning on Exxie #2, and then it will be time to sell the other one. I am quite attached to the Little Silver Bus, and have decided that it is simply being reincarnated in Little Silver Bus 2.0. :giggle:

41 - 60 of 65 Posts