Nissan Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Great news. Smooth sailing from here on!

Reactions: molly

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Glad you got it sorted out. It seems a bit pricey to me for what you had done, but I guess there was more such as reconditioning 4 calipers. For what its worth the issue also affects Subarus. I replaced my driver's side CV axle yesterday and decided to service my front brakes at the same time. I found that the top caliper slide pin on the driver's side was seized. With some effort got it out, cleaned up, and re-lubed. Works fine now but it has worn that side pads unevenly, and there is a fair bit of vibration now when braking going fast. Might even out but I should probably replace the pads. A shame as they are fairly new, and were replaced before I bought it.
FYI-- Parts Avatar a fairly new online site based out of Edmonton has pretty competitive pricing and free delivery with orders over $99. In a first for me, they over $100 cheaper than Rock Auto for the same exact same parts. I got two Mevotech Supreme front control arms for 250.36 including tax and delivery vs 383.32 if I had ordered them from RockAuto. Shopping around still pays off! Good luck with LSB 2.0, and I hope LSB 1 finds a good home.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks for the tip on another parts supplier, Quad. Shopping Canadian during this C19 business may be a safer bet anyway. :geek:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
SOLD our LSB 1.0....Listed it yesterday afternoon. Had three lowball offers of $900-1000. First serious buyer came by this morning and paid us $1600.00. I had listed it at $1500 and was going to sell the winter tires separately later, but he was willing to pay a good price if we included them. And...we may see it around town, as he lives in Pincher Creek too! :giggle:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well done. That's good money for a car with that mileage.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Well done Molly. Seems pretty fair all around. As for the Canadian parts supplier-- never again. Parts Avatar is a complete joke with the worst customer service I have experienced. Far easier to get a straight answer out of even the worst sellers on Aliexpress. I cannot even begin to express my embarrassment that this company is Canadian. I ordered 11 days ago and nothing has shipped, they do not communicate and they flat out lie when you reach them. I have since done a little research into them and they have a horrible online reputation. There are hundreds of tales of bad experiences. I just want to warn anyone about using them. The savings that can be had on certain parts are just not worth the hassle and uncertainty. Stay away from them they do not deserve your business.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Well, the parts were delivered yesterday. Only a few days late, but I was never sent a shipping confirmation or tracking number, and the best their customer service could come with was ''your order has been allocated please be patient''. A very frustrating experience dealing with them. For me to use them again the savings will have to be huge and it will have to be something that I am in no rush to receive and with no time table to install. Which I guess we could say is the case with the front control arms I ordered. Mine passed inspection and work but you can see the cracking in the large bushing, they are the originals and they have 250,000 km on them.
I remember that when I changed those on the X trail, it made the handling even better than what I thought was pretty good. I suspect I will see the same thing on the Forester.
And Molly I saw a beautiful Silver Bonavista yesterday with freshly cleaned headlights and zero rust. I am still partial to the X trail. I wish Nissan had tapped into that heritage to redesign the new X trail/Rogue. I will be curious to see one in person but for some reason, it reminds of a mix of the bloated Fiat 500 SUV and the new RAV.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Sorry to hear about that parts outfit!! Thanks for the warning. I agree the new Rogue and RAV4 are very similar. In fact, it seems that most new models by most companies now are almost interchangeable! It is so unfortunate we can't get the X-Trails here that they can get in Australia, for example. I belong to a couple Nissan X-Trail Facebook groups and there are some really nice ones in other countries!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Further updates: New rear washer nozzle replaced today as well as a test drive to figure out where the rattle is coming from in both front doors. Mechanic said it is coming from the actual door panels and short of replacing them, not much can be done. So, I guess I will have to live with it. It isn't as bad on pavement as on gravel, but still annoying. Sigh. I have a question about gas mileage. Will 17 inch tires (215-60-17) impact fuel economy very much? So far we are getting about 26 mpg, whereas the LSB 1.0 got about 32-34 mpg, but had 215-65-16 tires. :unsure:

·
Registered
411 Posts
There should be little to no difference in mileage. There are many factors which could influence mileage. Old, tired oxygen sensors, dirty fuel injectors, dirty air filter etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
There should be little to no difference in mileage. There are many factors which could influence mileage. Old, tired oxygen sensors, dirty fuel injectors, dirty air filter etc.
Can the sensors and injectors be easily checked at my next oil change?

·
Registered
411 Posts
The sensors can't be checked, just replaced. Replace both at the same time if you do it. The injectors are not easily checked. They need to be removed to check them. You could try a bottle of injector cleaner. Techron is the best. It's a Chevron product but I don't know if you can buy it in Canada. BG 44K has a good reputation also. It's available from Amazon.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Further updates: New rear washer nozzle replaced today as well as a test drive to figure out where the rattle is coming from in both front doors. Mechanic said it is coming from the actual door panels and short of replacing them, not much can be done. So, I guess I will have to live with it. It isn't as bad on pavement as on gravel, but still annoying. Sigh. I have a question about gas mileage. Will 17 inch tires (215-60-17) impact fuel economy very much? So far we are getting about 26 mpg, whereas the LSB 1.0 got about 32-34 mpg, but had 215-65-16 tires. :unsure:
''the rattle is coming from in both front doors. Mechanic said it is coming from the actual door panels and short of replacing them, not much can be done. ''....what is the issue? what did they find was the source of the noises? Door panels can become loose over time, sometimes all you need is Door Panel Plugs, or some screws ( even if you have to drill thru the panel and put a few screws to button down the floppy panel) or some form of fast curing construction glue such as Liquid Nails. Sigh, if i lived nearby you, i'd have a look and if possible, fix it for free . Can you post a bunch of photos of your door panels or a video on here? Really thinking the mechanics are being lazy or just brushing you off. Take it to a auto glass repair shop and ask for them to just look/listen and give a fair estimate to make the issue go away. Or at least they can tell YOU what you could do to eliminate or make it better then what you have now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Tony, I had told him it sounded to me like the noise was coming from below the window, around the latch area but I had to crane my head down there while driving to hear that, as my hubby is deaf and cannot be much help diagnosing sounds, haha... It isn't super loud, just an even rattle that becomes louder on rougher roads, and sometimes is almost gone on very smooth pavement. The mechanic thought the door handle was a tad loose although I can't detect that. A few years ago, the driver's side handle broke off and was replaced but I don't think that is it, and that wouldn't explain a similar sound on the passenger side. I am just hyper tuned to any rattle or squeak, I guess!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The sensors can't be checked, just replaced. Replace both at the same time if you do it. The injectors are not easily checked. They need to be removed to check them. You could try a bottle of injector cleaner. Techron is the best. It's a Chevron product but I don't know if you can buy it in Canada. BG 44K has a good reputation also. It's available from Amazon.
Thanks, X-hale. I might try some injector cleaner. Can't hurt.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,163 Posts
Your mileage figure seems pretty normal to me. Depending upon time of year I would get worse mileage than that, but it would be mainly city driving with lots of stops and accelerations. How do you calculate your gas mileage? It gets a bit confusing switching between metric and imperial, and with gas it gets even worse with the difference between the British and American gallon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Your mileage figure seems pretty normal to me. Depending upon time of year I would get worse mileage than that, but it would be mainly city driving with lots of stops and accelerations. How do you calculate your gas mileage? It gets a bit confusing switching between metric and imperial, and with gas it gets even worse with the difference between the British and American gallon.
Maybe we just got spoiled with the over 30 mpg before, haha! I use British gallons (4.54 l)... I use an online calculator to double check. It worked out to 10.89 l/100 km, or just under 26 mpg. I'll keep checking periodically. :geek:

·
Registered
411 Posts
You're probably driving it differently than you normally would. On and off the gas, changing speed a lot etc. listening for noises and possible problem sounds. After you own it a while your mileage will likely even out back to normal.

·
Registered
2005 t30
9 Posts
I just bought a new to me 05 xtrail, has a blown headgasket due to overheat so I got it for $350. Towed it home and the head checked out good, got it planed and decided to do the timing set and re-ring, should last me many years and for under $1,000 with a overhauled engine. There are deals out there for a bit of work

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 90 Posts