Nissan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
i forgot to mention another used Japanese suv for Molly to consider, but keep in mind it may not be in your price range ( $4,000-5,000?). A used Honda Element. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 166 horsepower and 161 pound-feet of torque propels LX, EX, and SC trim levels. Front wheel or 4WD. I see lots of used Elements for sale on Autotrader.ca. But even a 2008-11 in good condition is from $9800-14,000. IF i myself were to come up with $10,000 or more, i think i'd prefer an 2010-11 honda element 4wd with manual tranny ( if no manual, the 5 speed auto with 4wd). Funny,kinda disliked them when they were knew. But in some upper trims with the right rims/paint they look not bad for a box. I like the practicality of the vehicle, cargo room, the vinyl floor that is easy to wash out with water, the dashboard, seats. ''Only'' 166 HP, which is the same as the Xtrail, but with a 5 speed manual it could be Honda fun to drive. But they sell for a much higher price point...you get what you pay for, eh? 2011 Honda Element for sale | autoTRADER.ca https://tdrpmimages.azureedge.net/photos/import/201906/2122/5212/f428429e-9758-4df3-85cc-5c145a64b0f1.jpg-1024x786

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i forgot to mention another used Japanese suv for Molly to consider, but keep in mind it may not be in your price range ( $4,000-5,000?). A used Honda Element. A 2.4-liter four-cylinder with 166 horsepower and 161 pound-feet of torque propels LX, EX, and SC trim levels. Front wheel or 4WD. I see lots of used Elements for sale on Autotrader.ca. But even a 2008-11 in good condition is from $9800-14,000. IF i myself were to come up with $10,000 or more, i think i'd prefer an 2010-11 honda element 4wd with manual tranny ( if no manual, the 5 speed auto with 4wd). Funny,kinda disliked them when they were knew. But in some upper trims with the right rims/paint they look not bad for a box. I like the practicality of the vehicle, cargo room, the vinyl floor that is easy to wash out with water, the dashboard, seats. ''Only'' 166 HP, which is the same as the Xtrail, but with a 5 speed manual it could be Honda fun to drive. But they sell for a much higher price point...you get what you pay for, eh? 2011 Honda Element for sale | autoTRADER.ca
Ya, a box is right! Nissan has one like that too, a Cube or something? :LOL: Thanks for the tip, though. I shudder to think what it would be like with the 100km crosswinds we can get down here as it is so boxy and not very heavy. I know I shouldn't be thinking of a Pathfinder as it has 6 cylinders, etc., but I just saw a fabulous top of the line one for just under $5K in Lethbridge and am sorely tempted to go and look at it this weekend, although it may not last long at that price... :geek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
before you write off the Honda Element entirely, read up on a few automotive reviews and check out some of the photos. And yes, the Element is boxy and may be impacted by crosswinds. But a lot of suvs are. I do not think you will be driving thru hurricanes , lol, so it might not be so horrendous if the vehicle is the right combination of style/performance and versatility. But if you think it's too boxy and goofy, oh well, to each their own. Just showing you options :) 2009 Honda Element SC Review Editor's Review | Car Reviews | Auto123

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
oh i forgot to mention one used american awd suv that altho not as good as a japanese suv, gets the job done, fairly reliable and easy to find parts/service, has a 2.5L four cylinder with 170HP and a nice little box depending on what trim level you buy : the Ford Escape. Again, i would prefer the small 3.0L V6 option, but that comes with a thirstier gas consumption and generally higher used prices. Check out Autotrader and maybe look for a decent, used 2010 Escape awd with automatic, 4 cylinder. You might want to get a line of credit from the Bank if possible and spend $2-3,000 more then intended. Buying another used, high mileage, ten plus year old vehicle at $3500-5,000 might just be trading for one old problem for another. Good luck just the same.
This was suggested to me by another guy, who loves his 2010, and my girlfriend, who has a 2011. She does not put many miles on hers, though. The two mechanics I use do not like Ford products in general, haha! But once I started looking at them, there are a lot out there for sale, mostly in the 2005-2008 range. Decent Exxies that have lower kms are very rare right now, too. Looks like a lot of folks are selling because they need cash or no longer need two vehicles due to losing jobs. 😢

·
Registered
427 Posts
Molly, you mentioned you had a toyota Rav4 previously. If you can afford a good used one maybe time to go back to a Rav4 again. My logic is that they are super reliable, good on gas, easy to maintain, parts and service fairly simple and easy access. Spend a few thousand dollars more for a decent used awd , 4 cyl., rav4 and you may end up saving that extra money by not going thru headaches and excessive repairs/parts for something not so reliable. And again, deeply consider a used mitsubishi Outlander. A friend of mine bought two outlanders on my suggestion, one is a 2019 that he gave to his daughter for her high school grad gift. He kept the v6 awd 2007 Outlander for his own personal vehicle. And he bought a 2014 Mitsubishi RVR when new and still has that in his family. We chat every day and he never once had any mechanical or other issues with all three of these vehicles. :) I'm pretty confident in the next few years i too will buy a used Outlander....but i really want the V6 awd GT. Maybe in the $7,000 to $10,000 range if i go for a 2010 version. I do not want to go too old with too much mileage as i want to avoid wear and tear costs

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Thanks, Tony! I have been doing lots of research and have been considering the Kia Sorento, and the Suzuki Grand Vitara (mid 2000s), as both seem to have decent reviews and both have real 4x4 capability which may come in handy once in a while on some of the roads we go on. There is a nice Kia in Lethbridge. I have been a bit worried about Subarus although impressed with videos of their traction, as there is that head gasket thing. It is hard to find ones available that have any records of it being fixed, and it sure looks like an expensive fix! RAV4s are a definite option, too, but prefer nothing older than 2004 as the hp is so low. My 99 was cute but totally gutless trying to pass anything! Lot of sellers seem to not have any records at all, and tell you to buy a CarFax, which is costly and only shows certain things. AMA provides reports for about half the cost. But again, only certain shops report their services. And I will not even go and look at anything where they cannot be bothered to wash the car and clean the interior; I don't want to clean other people's crap, yuk. :p
Update: Had planned to see a couple Sorentos today and after more reading, decided not to, as too many said the fuel economy was not great. Going to focus on finding a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you see a car ad where the car is dirty and there's garbage all over the floor and junk on the seats, you think "Wow, I wonder if they ever even change the oil if they're that lazy."

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If you see a car ad where the car is dirty and there's garbage all over the floor and junk on the seats, you think "Wow, I wonder if they ever even change the oil if they're that lazy."
No kidding!! Then they ask a bunch of money for it, too... :LOL:

·
Registered
632 Posts
I would go for another xtrail (5 speed manual) if the occasion presents itself. The good condition of the car would be primarily considered.

Suzuki left Canada a few years ago. I would search forums discussions on parts availability and repairs.
We have the chance that nissan shares many components with other nissans models but Suzuki is another story. I heard that Suzuki can provide parts up to 10 years after leaving canada but how long would it take to get those parts?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
No manual for me, and do not want to learn at this point either! :geek: I am thinking Suzuki may not be ideal for the reason you mentioned. Decent X-Trails are rare here, though, unless you really want to pay a lot (latest nice one was asking 8700, and I think he got an offer already!) or get one with over 250K kms. Leery of Subarus unless it can be proven the head gaskets have been repaired... Not in a panic but I'll be glad when I have sold mine before something else goes wrong! Hoping to find something closer to home as my hubby is 86 and has not driven in Calgary traffic for over ten years, and the idea of him driving our X-Trail out of there makes me very nervous :oops:, and sadly most vehicles for sale are in Calgary. But something will turn up.I even put a wanted ad on Kijiji....

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,078 Posts
Hi All. What is not clear hear is the why replace it? Think I saw something about it needing a new rear bearing, but otherwise, its unclear what the issues are. Personally I would not trade a high mileage X trail for an equally old or older Ford Escape. The X over the years does go through suspension components, but its been pretty rare to read about engine or transmission failures, major electronic faults, ac system going bad, or other stuff that costs 1000s to repair.
From what I have seen at the junkyards on a few of them is rust getting the better of the front subframe--dealer only part here that costs over 800 + install. And of course, such X trails also have lots of surface rust making its appearance.
It might be an idea to have the X given a complete safety inspection. That way you can know what is bad, what is going bad, and some general idea of cost and whether it's worth fixing.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Quad! Thanks for weighing in...Actually, we have pretty much decided against the Escape, given that the two mechanics we use both advised against one. You do make a good suggestion, about paying for a safety. It has become obvious that the suspension is needing work, as it has gotten increasingly harsh over rougher roads. Various other rattles and squeaks likely due to the high kms. I guess, given that we sold the truck to free up some cash, that we thought it best to sell it while it was salable. Our one guy has a couple people looking for a little cheap SUV and wanted us to call him as soon as we had another one. Our top choices are a Honda CR-V or a RAV4, or another Exxie, which are harder to find.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,078 Posts
Glad to chime in. Have it checked. If the body integrity is good, engine and transmission running fine replacing stuff like control arms and struts will make it seem like a new car.
For argument sakes-- right now you can get both side quality Moog front control arms on clearance at RockAuto for 86.18 Cdn each plus delivery. 170 for both sides is a killer deal.
Changing those if yours are old will improve the handling of the car, and your mechanic would probably install them for 150. Replacing all the struts, and rear suspension arms would run about another 600 in parts, 3-4 hours labor + an alignment would pretty much have it handling like new, and probably better than you ever experienced since you have owned it. But of course, it depends on the state of your X whether you invest in it or not.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Glad to chime in. Have it checked. If the body integrity is good, engine and transmission running fine replacing stuff like control arms and struts will make it seem like a new car.
For argument sakes-- right now you can get both side quality Moog front control arms on clearance at RockAuto for 86.18 Cdn each plus delivery. 170 for both sides is a killer deal.
Changing those if yours are old will improve the handling of the car, and your mechanic would probably install them for 150. Replacing all the struts, and rear suspension arms would run about another 600 in parts, 3-4 hours labor + an alignment would pretty much have it handling like new, and probably better than you ever experienced since you have owned it. But of course, it depends on the state of your X whether you invest in it or not.
Have you or other Xtrail members replaced any of the suspension bushings ? i know it can be costly to have done at a Shop ( the parts, labour, taxes in) but i have read about how much nicer a vehicle rides and handles after the bushings are replaced with a good quality set. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
OK. Got an appointment at a good shop here in town for Thursday morning. Stay tuned for the results!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,078 Posts
Hi Tony, I never ordered a poly bushing kit if that is what you are referring to. What I did on mine was replace all of the rear suspension arms, and that way renewed all of the bushings except for two. Back in the day each arm (6 in back) was $100 from the dealer. You can now buy aftermarket for approx 30 a rear arm. It did ride and handle nicer after that was done.
And Molly, I am glad you are getting the inspection. I suspect the X might be in better shape than you suspect and here is to hoping it does not require much to restore confidence in its handling, and the integrity of its body. Good luck.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi Tony, I never ordered a poly bushing kit if that is what you are referring to. What I did on mine was replace all of the rear suspension arms, and that way renewed all of the bushings except for two. Back in the day each arm (6 in back) was $100 from the dealer. You can now buy aftermarket for approx 30 a rear arm. It did ride and handle nicer after that was done.
And Molly, I am glad you are getting the inspection. I suspect the X might be in better shape than you suspect and here is to hoping it does not require much to restore confidence in its handling, and the integrity of its body. Good luck.
So do you mean that when you get the rear suspension arms, those arms come with the new bushings? or does the shop tell you that you have to pay extra at the time and get the new bushings on top of the new arms?

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,078 Posts
4 of the rear arms have 2 bushings each, and the two trailing arms one each. They come installed with the parts. If you buy a kit they have to remove each arm and remove the bushings and their sleeves, and press in the new ones

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well, the rear left brake pad was really worn, which was odd as I had the rotors and pads done last June. This shop suspected no lubrication was applied. So I had to redo the pads to pass the safety and that was it! They gave me a deal (I think) and charged $205.00 to do it with pads they had on hand. I guess they were impressed how good the Little Silver Bus looked for its high mileage, and no suspension issues, either. Tightened up the loose heat shield as I mentioned some rattle was annoying me. These guys are pretty good; I think I will use them for more stuff now, and not bother with the young cheaper guy anymore. Anyway, on with the search... :geek:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts