Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have observed a couple guys on here who have let their X-Trails go, and moved on to other brands. A friend of mine who used to work at a Nissan dealer, and who owns a later model Pathfinder, advised against anything Nissan, suggesting either a Honda CR-V or a Toyota RAV4. Budget, as usual, is a factor with us, and vehicles do cost a bit more here in Alberta. We will be selling hubby's truck to get the funds needed to get a small SUV to replace the Little Silver Bus, which is now over 435K. I had a 1999 RAV4 before I got this, and am looking at the early 2000s when the body style changed. Also, a Honda CR-V would be good, too. The only Nissan I would consider is another X-Trail as we know what they are like, and ASFAIK are the best of the small Nissan SUVs. Too bad Quad lives in La Belle Province or I would have loved to buy his! What do you guys think?? :unsure:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I too am selling my X-Trail but live in Quebec.
You can't go wrong with a RAV4. I would choose it over a CR-V. Anything made by Toyota seems to be a good bet. My neighbour is quite high up in the corporation and from talking to him it seems that Toyota has a great deal of pride in what they build. They don't want any lemons to spoil their brands name. We still own a 2006 Pontiac Vibe which is mechanically a Toyota. At nearly 400K there has been zero issues other than maintenance items.
At this point in history I think buying another X-Trail is just looking for trouble. Age and scarcity of parts is going to be an even bigger problem in the coming years.

Calgary RAV4

·
Registered
427 Posts
So, I have observed a couple guys on here who have let their X-Trails go, and moved on to other brands. A friend of mine who used to work at a Nissan dealer, and who owns a later model Pathfinder, advised against anything Nissan, suggesting either a Honda CR-V or a Toyota RAV4. Budget, as usual, is a factor with us, and vehicles do cost a bit more here in Alberta. We will be selling hubby's truck to get the funds needed to get a small SUV to replace the Little Silver Bus, which is now over 435K. I had a 1999 RAV4 before I got this, and am looking at the early 2000s when the body style changed. Also, a Honda CR-V would be good, too. The only Nissan I would consider is another X-Trail as we know what they are like, and ASFAIK are the best of the small Nissan SUVs. Too bad Quad lives in La Belle Province or I would have loved to buy his! What do you guys think?? :unsure:
Hi Molly! I own a 06 Xtrail that i bought in 2015 and so far my truck has been very good for reliability and as daily driver. But i did spend a few thousand dollars in upgrade parts that and fluids in that 5 years ( some were things like oxygen sensors, cam/crankshaft sensors, rear differential fluids, sparkplugs, filters, tranny fluid, new muffler pipe, shop repair for a strange electrical issue, . Others were things that were not exactly necessary such as upgraded tires, window tint , seat covers, upgraded stereo, alarm, LED light bulbs everywhere....) But overall, for 5 years , if we take away the ''toys'' i added, pretty good repair and reliability record. But my truck now 14 years old. AS you know the Xtrails are not as popular or seen on the roads as the honda crvs and toyota rav4s . So parts and such tend to be more expensive or harder to track down/limited options. Keep in mind, if we get into an accident with our Xtrails, pretty good chance the insurance company will write off the truck versus paying to get it fixed. So all things considered, i will keep my truck for the next few years as long as it does not suddenly become a money pit . What i would get as a replacement are these vehicles : Honda Crv, Mitsubishi Outlander or the RVR, the 09-14 Subaru Forester non-turbo, a 2007 toyota highlander V6. I would definitely lean towards a 2010 to 2014 mitsubishi outlander GT awd with the 3.0L V6. Very reliable, 6 speed automatic (no cvt), 220 hp v6 engine and a very good lockable awd system. The smaller mitsu RVR has the optional 2.4L /4cyl with 168 hp and little less rear cargo space in the rear hatch but it's a great little awd trucklet. A friend of mine owns all three mitsubishis , the 4 cyl and 6 cylinder outlander and the rvr for the past 7 years and has had ZERO problems. Google those vehicles for starters and read up on the reliability , comfort, mpg, safety andthe owner reviews...i think you see why i'm partial to them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I have wondered about the Mitsubishis, and not just because it is a fun word to pronounce! We would have to buy older models, though, as our budget will be quite low. Ideally, between 3500-4500, depending on what we get for the truck. That would allow for possible winter tires, etc. We love the good gas mileage we have been getting, so will likely keep to a 4 cylinder for that reason.
I get what you both are saying about the scarcity of parts in the future.... that said, I have seen some nice ones for sale here. Most have too many kms on though...I bought mine with 286K! The low km ones are definitely costlier! :geek:

·
Registered
427 Posts
i'm pretty sure you can locate a lot of nice older Mitsubishi Outlanders with a 4 cyl., awd, auto. They will be closer or over 180,000 klm mark tho. So keep in mind you want to buy a well taken care of used vehicle BUT since it will be over a decade old, things break and need replacing. Don't mind me when i mention the V6 models. I like my power and speed and for me a small V6 with 220-230 HP in the Outlander would be nice upgrade. But i would consider the 4 cylinder in the outlander. Actually, the mitsu outlander 4 cylinder is very comparable to our 4 cylinder Xtrail. Similar hp, mpg and engine displacement. The thing i read about past and present Outlanders is that they are well built sturdy vehicles but also they are not heavy little pigs....so the 166 horsepower engine is a decent fit and you will get pretty good mpg on regular gas.
Base Engine Size:2.4 L
Cylinders:Inline 4
Horsepower:166 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque:162 ft-lbs. @ 4200 rpm
Another used vehicle to consider that will most likely be cheaper to purchase is an older Hyundai Santa Fe or Hyundai Tuscon. There are other older used Hyundai and Kia suvs with 4 & 6 cylinder engines, awd, auto that are dependable and well built. Keep in mind, you need to do your research on the older hyundais. tHEY ARE VERY GOOD VEHICLES THE PAST 5-6 YEARS, but 10-13 years ago they were average compared to toyota, honda and even nissan. 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander | Cars & Trucks | Edmonton | Kijiji

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone I Owen a Nissan x-trail 2005 and a Honda CR-V 2000 both are standard 5 speeds and awd. I find the xtrail a lot cheeper to run as a every day driver. To me the xtrail just glides in the road and when you put it neutral you can feel the difference in the drag of the wheels. The crv that I own is a mechanical engaged rear end so you don’t have the opportunity to turn off the awd. But on the xtrail you have the opportunity to drive with just the front wheels. I live in Australia and both truck are just as good as a land rover defender 110 on the road only both the Nissan and Honda can do light off-road duty’s for me the xtrail is slightly bigger and better on the motorway and both are very good in the snow and ice. But here in Victoria you need to travel to the mountains in winter to play in the snow. So both Honda and Nissan are grate but I rather the Nissan

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Wolf.... always good to read comparisons. We would get another X-Trail but they are getting rare and the good ones get snapped up right away. Plus with this Covid-19 crap, I think some people just aren't selling.

·
Registered
427 Posts
oh i forgot to mention one used american awd suv that altho not as good as a japanese suv, gets the job done, fairly reliable and easy to find parts/service, has a 2.5L four cylinder with 170HP and a nice little box depending on what trim level you buy : the Ford Escape. Again, i would prefer the small 3.0L V6 option, but that comes with a thirstier gas consumption and generally higher used prices. Check out Autotrader and maybe look for a decent, used 2010 Escape awd with automatic, 4 cylinder. You might want to get a line of credit from the Bank if possible and spend $2-3,000 more then intended. Buying another used, hi
gh mileage, ten plus year old vehicle at $3500-5,000 might just be trading for one old problem for another. Good luck just the same.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some of the Ford Escapes were the same as the Mazda Tributes, weren't they? Most do seem to be the 6 cylinder. I have also noticed a couple Suzuki Grand Vitaras that used to be on the same platform as the Chevy Tracker... so parts may be easier to get. Hopefully, I can get mine diagnosed and dealt with quickly as it will be difficult to find a new one if I can't drive anywhere. I refuse to spend a bunch of money to fix it if that is what it takes. I'll rent a car for a few days and just sell it as is. :p

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I added up all the receipts for my Nissan, for fun. Bought it for 4250. about 5 1/2 years ago. Spent about $7620. on it for repairs and replacements, not including oil changes, seasonal tire swaps and a couple maintenance services. This worked out to about $220.00 a month to own the car. And, we were using dealers for servicing for the first year and a half, before we found the cheaper and more honest guys. Is that a reasonable cost? It had 286K when I bought it, and now it is getting close to 436K. :unsure:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Your math doesn't work for me. I get $115 per month ($7620 divided by 66 months) and $180 per month ($11870 divided by 66) if you include the price of the car.
The purchase price was very high compared to here but other than that it sounds very reasonable.
The Suzuki is a very good car. They built them for Chevy. My sister has a Grand Vitara V6 and it's a fantastic car. Very reliable.
The Escape and Tribute are rust buckets. Inside the rear doors at the rear wheel arch especially. Here in the East anyways.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right!! That sounds even better! Thanks for your input; Alberta puts a lot of salt on the roads here so may be the same rust issues...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Some of the Ford Escapes were the same as the Mazda Tributes, weren't they? Most do seem to be the 6 cylinder. I have also noticed a couple Suzuki Grand Vitaras that used to be on the same platform as the Chevy Tracker... so parts may be easier to get. Hopefully, I can get mine diagnosed and dealt with quickly as it will be difficult to find a new one if I can't drive anywhere. I refuse to spend a bunch of money to fix it if that is what it takes. I'll rent a car for a few days and just sell it as is. :p
Mazda Tribute was just an Escape with a few outside trim differences such as the front grill and maybe fog lights. Minor stuff. Interior trim was just a few things such as stereo trim surround, diff leather on the seats.....it's really the same vehicle. There were tons of 4 cylinder Escapes, easy to find a used 4 cyl. Escape. The Grand Vitara in V6 was very nice, i had considered trading in my then 3 year old honda civic Si on a then new '07 V6 Vitara. Keep in mind the vitara V6 is not overly powerful and the fuel economy sucks for a small V6 and not much oomph for a V6. The ford escape will be much easier to find used/new/aftermarket parts and cheaper to service, altho the Suzuki being japanese and a well built Suzuki trucklet with a very good 4x4 system , will be possibly more reliable then a Ford. :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Your math doesn't work for me. I get $115 per month ($7620 divided by 66 months) and $180 per month ($11870 divided by 66) if you include the price of the car.
The purchase price was very high compared to here but other than that it sounds very reasonable.
The Suzuki is a very good car. They built them for Chevy. My sister has a Grand Vitara V6 and it's a fantastic car. Very reliable.
The Escape and Tribute are rust buckets. Inside the rear doors at the rear wheel arch especially. Here in the East anyways.
that is one thing i noticed with ''back East'' vehicles , lotsa rust. I'm in Vancouver with tons of winter rains and yet we do not get the severe rusty vehicles. Probably because it rarely snows in my city and that means very tiny amount of road salt per winter driving season. Maybe that is why our used BC vehicles tend to fetch higher resale prices? I bought my 06 Xtrail with the typical small , surface rusty area at the left rear wheel arch and at first i was worried it would corrode like crazy. It has not spread, looks exactly the same 5 years after i bought the truck. That will be my next bored with time to kill during the pandemic....rust repair!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I have not been wanting a car-style SUV, but wondered if anyone has any experience with this type? Is the Turbo a potential problem? I am tall so usually dislike the feeling of lowering myself down into a vehicle! I see lots of these have head gasket problems, too, which I imagine would be very costly to repair, unless they can prove itv has been done already...

·
Registered
241 Posts
That is a Generation 3 Outback, by far the best looking ones they ever made. We have had two 1997 and a 2012 Outback. By 2008 most of the head gasket problems had been ironed out. Also with the 2.5 engine it is not a turbo. The turbo is a 2.0 and called an Outback XT. With 125 K on it I would say that it's an excellent buy in Alberta dollars.
It is due for a timing belt replacement if it has not been done yet. Do the pulleys, tensioner and water pump at the same time. It's an interference engine. If the belt breaks kiss your valves goodbye.
It's not as roomy as an X-Trail for cargo but it has a lot of room with the rear seats folded down. We had a full glass shower enclosure in the back of our 2012 and a huge soaker bath tub on another occasion.
They handle much better than the X-Trail and have the same power. Same size engine with the same HP.
The HVAC system is far superior and the doors don't freeze in the winter.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, X-Hale... How do you find them for rougher travel, i.e. gravel roads with a few potholes, ruts, etc. They look kinda low.

·
Registered
241 Posts
They are great on back roads. We have plenty around here. They have 8 1/2 inches of ground clearance, similar to many small trucks. The Subaru AWD system is one of the best.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If it is still there Saturday, we will go and see it. Only half an hour away... I guess it has miles, not kms on the speedometer so it is 190K km.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts