Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 Sentra and I am about to get me a system. The thing is, I dont know if my electrical system is up to par. I am going to be either running a Power Acoustik LT1920/2 or either a MTX Thunder 895

the PA runs 420 watts x 2 @ 2 ohms and the MTX runs 4 x 50 (I think) @ 4 ohms + 370 x 1 @ 2 ohms. Both are about 800 watts RMS.

What am I going to need to do to power one of these amps? Im more on buying the PA over the MTX. I dont see the need to power all 4 speakers. Dont tell me to get a cap...its only going to put stress on the alt and the rest of the electrical system.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
what will it be running?
the front 2 speakers and a sub?

should be about 600rms at the most then, as long as you set the gain properly you should be fine with the big 3 alone.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well...I decided to drop the 5 channel MTX. I want a bit more thump. And I dont think I will need to run an amp to the speakers. I think I will be just fine.

So I might get the LT1920/2 and power 2 Elemental Designs 16Kv.2's. Serious thump...it will make people about a mile down the road wanna know whats going on. One fear I have is that the system is going to rattle my car to peices...literally. Somebody has told me what the big 3 is...but I forgot. I know it has something to do with cables and an alt. How many amps should I make my alt put out? I am thinking about a hundred amps will do the trick and a decent deep cycle battery. Finding a battery that will fit the stupid car is going to be the fun part. Maybe I can modify my battery plate and I can get one to fit.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
uh, the alt puts out what it can put out, you can't make it do anything

The big 3 is the batt - to chassis, engine block to chassis, and alt + to batt +. Upgrade all 3 with 4awg or larger

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and that will make my shit power the amp? Thats all I have to do? OK...this may sound stupid but how the hell am I going to do all this. I mean where should I put the engine block to chassis wire? I thought I already had a ground wire from the battery to the chassis?

What I meant by making my alt put out my amps is taking it to a mechanic and getting it beefed up. Can you or somebody expain this to me in very good detail. I would appreciate it very highly. :)

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
and that will make my shit power the amp?
it will reduce voltage drops, which will help with any light dimming

Thats all I have to do? OK...this may sound stupid but how the hell am I going to do all this. I mean where should I put the engine block to chassis wire? I thought I already had a ground wire from the battery to the chassis?
You already have an engine block to chassis wire, and you already have a batt - to chassis wire, the problem is these wires suck. They're small, bad quality, bad connectors.....they're just really inefficient. You're putting 4awg cable next to these stock cables to help them out.

What I meant by making my alt put out my amps is taking it to a mechanic and getting it beefed up. Can you or somebody expain this to me in very good detail. I would appreciate it very highly.
Ah you're talking about getting it rewound....well that definitely won't be necessary with your system. You're only going to have ~600rms, and about 200rms of that will never be used because your components would shit a brick if they were to actually receive a full 200rms each. You probably don't even need to do the big 3, I highly doubt you're going to have any electrical problems at all, and if you do it's most likely because of a bad gain setting.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The amp is 840 watts rms. 420 x 2 @ 2 ohms. Im not running 600 watts RMS. If I was...I know my electrical would power it. But I will perform the big 3 and see what happens. Thanks man.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
ah nevermind, I was still thinking back to your original post, I thought you were going to use 2 of the channels to run your front speakers.

800rms is still not that much, do the big 3 and you might get some slight dimming but nothing bad, unless you set it up wrong.

And you do realize that without a front stage those subs will sound like crap right? I don't know how anyone can live with a huge substage and stock front speakers, it sounds even worse than a stock system.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shit I aint about to use stock speakers. I got 2 Lightning Audio Bolts that are 80 watts rms and 2 Pioneers that are 50 watts rms. Both sets are 6 1/2's.

·
^ ownz you all ^
2,524 Posts
well that's better than stock, but nowhere near enough to even think about being heard over 2 15's, so the same basic idea still applies.

I don't know, it's just something I don't understand. 90% of the music is reproduced by the front stage and 10% by the substage, yet people constantly spend $1000 on the substage and stick some $80 speakers in the front being powered by a 15rms headunit and they think that they have a "balanced system". To each their own I guess....

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might slap a small 100 watt 2 channel amp to put in the front stage just for your benefit. :) I can get one for about 50 bucks but powering all of this is going to be a killer. I guess I can get by with another 100 watts. :givebeer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts