Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the deal. I'm thinking of putting an sr20det in a Datsun 510. Here is my question...What is a power level that can be reasonably attained without spending a fortune? I would like to hit 300, but I can't get into anything major. Sourcing used stock parts off other motors, etc would be great.

I'm not all that familiar with turbo motors, so please excuse any possible ignorance that may follow...

I figure I will push the boost up to around 12 psi (it will be a daily driver, and I can't afford to blow it up). How is this done? Can I use like a Greddy boost controller? Any cheaper options (my problem is I love technology and doo-dads, but can't afford em any more)? What else would I need to do? The car will have aftermarket exhaust, since I doubt the stock 510 stuff will do. Best header? Would upgrading to the 28 turbo help, or should I try to find a T3/4? Would I need to upgrade the injectors?

Obviously, I am a little lost. What do you guys suggest? Will an intercooler help? Bigger injectors? Greddy intake manifold? Blow-off valve? Will I need to upgrade the fuel delivery, and if so, to what extent?

What can this motor safely handle internally? I would be open to running some NOS if you think the motor can take it. It seems to me that the motor is pretty strong.

Weight is also an issue, so the lighter the parts, the better. 300hp and 2000 lbs...

If this post is too long and you are thinking of just skipping it, consider the fact that you have the opportunity to turn a Honda guy away from the flock... :eek:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Look at the other SR swap forums for more detailed theorem on this swap. Also, you'll need some expert help in the swap when you do it, but the reward will be a smouldering DATSUN.
I feel that decent headers, turbo, clutch, and rotational mass reduction (flywheel, pulley) will be sufficient to meet your needs.
run the turbo under 8 psi though if you are worried about blowing the engine under spirited driving.

So....in summation, try:

stock sr20det (red or black top)
HKS headers
Nismo turbo timer
Unorthodox underdrive pulley
Fidanza flywheel
ACT 6 puck street clutch
and your run of the mill Walker or Meineke stainless exhaust with a free flow catylitic converter.

That won't hammer your wallet...and MORE than meet your needs!

-Jarret

ps - Nissan rocks Honda sucks

·
Registered
70 Posts
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~shoeman/index.htm
Check out that site, the SR20 into a 510 has been done.

What can this motor safely handle internally? I would be open to running some NOS if you think the motor can take it. It seems to me that the motor is pretty strong.
I'd say 350 safely, I have seen stock engines hitting over 400HP and rumors of up to 450 or 500. The engine is hella strong, Nissan rods are already forged, so if you only intend to hit 300, you should be golden, a metal headgasket probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

Obviously, I am a little lost. What do you guys suggest? Will an intercooler help? Bigger injectors? Greddy intake manifold? Blow-off valve? Will I need to upgrade the fuel delivery, and if so, to what extent?
We were all lost once :) Intercooler? If you don't get an aftermarket intercooler, you better not try to boost anything more than 7PSI, or you'll blow it apart. Yes, you need a blow off valve. The stock fuel system is pretty good, make sure you get a Walbro fuel pump. For 300 HP, you should be ok with your stock injectors, but they will be pretty far into their duty cycle, so upgrading wouldn't be a bad idea. The GReddy IM wouldn't be a bad idea either, not necessary, but not a bad idea.

I figure I will push the boost up to around 12 psi (it will be a daily driver, and I can't afford to blow it up). How is this done? Can I use like a Greddy boost controller? Any cheaper options (my problem is I love technology and doo-dads, but can't afford em any more)? What else would I need to do? The car will have aftermarket exhaust, since I doubt the stock 510 stuff will do. Best header? Would upgrading to the 28 turbo help, or should I try to find a T3/4? Would I need to upgrade the injectors?
You can safely go to 15psi on the stock hair dryer. After After 14, it's out of it's efficency range, and pointless to go higher. If you want to daily drive, get a GReddy Profec B, dollar for dollar, the best boost controller, and you can switch between hi, low and stock boost with the push of a button. Or you could get a MBC for like 20 bucks. You could upgrade to a T28 or better, a T28 ball bearing turbo, little faster spool up, and possibly go higher boost. The stock headgasket has held on somebody from NICO forums' SR on 20+psi for over 4 months.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the above mentioned mod's, what kind of power would you expect to see? And I'm a bit surprised by the recommendation of a cheap muffler! Wouldn't an N1 or other aftermarket import exhaust be a better pick? It wouldn't be too expensive, because I don't need a cat...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So long as there are no sharp bends in the system and you keep it free flowing, 2.5 or 3" pipe is pipe, no matter what name is on it. Get stainless for looks and longetivity. Expect 265-275hp with what I listed.

good luck,
-Jarret

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
I would suggest throwing in a 87 300zx turbo motor in the 510. I've seen it done, and it fits with a little mild cutting and welding. The kid even had the 300zx gears in the back. It was nice. Complete with a T3/T04E turbo.

Just letting you know whats out there, and what's been done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts