Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around... alot of places for the right amp. I found a good Amp on Ebay... it was a Legacy..... but OmEgA told me that they suck.

So now.. minutes before I buy it.. I cancelled out. What do you guys recommend... for good quality, excellent sound, and a reasonable price????

Im looking for around 1000w either 2 channel or 4 channel (not yet sure)

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
You could look into Orion, Audiobahn, JL Audio, JBL, Rockford Fosgate, Phoenix Gold and possibly US Acoustics.

·
Registered
339 Posts
PrOxLaMuS© said:
I have been looking around... alot of places for the right amp. I found a good Amp on Ebay... it was a Legacy..... but OmEgA told me that they suck.

So now.. minutes before I buy it.. I cancelled out. What do you guys recommend... for good quality, excellent sound, and a reasonable price????

Why don't you start by telling us what it is that you are planning on running with the amp. I honestly don't believe you need a 1000 watt amp. Just about all the amps you listed that are rated at 1000 watts will probably put out 300-400 watts RMS at most. I'm going to let you in on a little secret, if it sounds too good to be true...it is. If the amp is rated at 1000 watts and has a 40 amp fuse (which most of the legacy, power acoustik, etc. amps have, there is no possible way that amp can put out anywhere near that much power. Why are you not sure if you want a 2 channel or 4 channel amp? Typically a 4 ch. is used to drive mids and highs (they can be used for subs...but not really recommended). And 2 ch or mono block amps are used for subs (again, usually).

Let us know what kind of sound it is that you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend and we can give you some recommendations on what to get. Keep in mind that you can only get so much sound with so much money...the more you are willing to spend, the better your car will sound and usually the longer it will last :p :p :p

·
Registered
323 Posts
PrOxLaMuS© said:

Your 16 right? so I'm guessing your looking for a whole lot of thump without spending a whole lot of money, judging by what kindof amp it was you were looking at. Well stay around from Boss, Legacy, Pyramid, Volfenhag, American Pro, Pyle, Lanzar, and the whole Profile line, oh and Jenson, no Jenson. what kindof budget are you trying to work within? do you want to power one sub, two? a wall? SQL or SPL? let us know

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to power 2 10' inch Subwoofers 800w each. Im not sure if I want to power... Just my subs...and maybe 2 of my speakers. Im not sure.... plz help. MAxImUm I will spend on an AMP is i think maybe 300$.

Now what do you experts recommend, 2 channel for just the Subs... or could i get a 4 channel and power 2 subs and maybe 2 of my 4 speakers?

HeLp :rolleyes:

·
Registered
323 Posts
PrOxLaMuS© said:
I want to power 2 10' inch Subwoofers 800w each. Im not sure if I want to power... Just my subs...and maybe 2 of my speakers. Im not sure.... plz help. MAxImUm I will spend on an AMP is i think maybe 300$.

Now what do you experts recommend, 2 channel for just the Subs... or could i get a 4 channel and power 2 subs and maybe 2 of my 4 speakers?

HeLp :rolleyes:
the subs i'm guessing are 800 watt max not 800 watt RMS right? and stay with the two channel, a four channel will only give you like 50-75*4 for that price and 75 watts much less 50 will not power subs well at all, stick with a two channel and due some searching, you'll find a nice one for under 300

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This is really kinda dumb... but whats the difference between Max and RMS. What is RMS anyway.
All I know is 800 watts (something) a piece, now that I have decided on a 2 channel amplifier How much power should I run?
I was thinking around 600-1000w a little extra, what would be addiquite or really really good sound?

Im so confused....after looking at some MtX amps...I have noticed, for my price range... alittle over..... they only have like 400w. WIll they sound good

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW what about Sony, Clarion, Lightning, and Infinity?
I really would LOVE an MTX but, I need to spend about 3 weeks saving, and I am very impatient..however..patience will lead to me to the best answer.
Also I thought Rocksfort Fosgate sux.. this guy at Car TOys was insisting that they are horrible, and he says go Alpine

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Im not sure what RMS stands for, but its the wattage that the subwoofer or speaker can play continuoisly. Meaning, that you can play the sub at lets say 400 watts RMS. Peak means the highest wattage it can take for a short amount of time. So lets say your sub was 800 watts PEAK, it means that the amp can push if for 800 watts for a few seconds, maybe even a minute, but it can play an RMS of 400 watts for days/weeks/forever.

Dont ever get sony subs or amps, they totally suck. Rockford isnt bad, but every store has their likes and dislikes.

·
Registered
323 Posts
my entire sub and amp setup is rockford, all 2200 hundred dollars worth(of course I didn't pay that I'm a dealer, more like 600 heh) so it's really up to you, I'll probally get rid of all these sometime depending on how much I can sell them for and then buy more equipment, probally some Audiobahns and I'm not sure about the amp something highend about the equivalent to Rockfords 700S, who knows really. No I wouldn't go with the Sony's I just don't like them, no lightning audio, their caps and electrical gadgets so to speak are ok but not their amps or subs, although I've yet to hear their new highend, clarion i know once upon a time was great, but really I don't know about now and infinity is a good line too, it depends on what your looking for, oh and 800 watts RMS times 2, I could probally put money on the fact that if you infact had that much wattage going into your subs the sound level wouldn't be to your liking, the only reason I can tolerate that much is because i started out small and deafend myself gradually :) 400 x 2 is nothing to scuff at, I bet you could hit around 140 depending on how you tweak it, and 140 well that's a jet airplane and remember for ever 3 decibels you increase your sound level twice over. well ok let me know if you have any questions

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So should I just get like an... 600 watt amp? 800watt?
Here's the thing, I have no idea. I have 2 800w subs, how much power can I run for a good sound?

SHould I go under 800watts, go over (1000w), go half-way(400w) or should I get an 800w Amp??

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im getting them from Best Buy... I think Clarion or something. I have no Idea.
However, If I blow them, I can get em replaced for up to 3 years.. with the service plan. Ive already blown 3 sets of 6x9's gottem replaced.. for literally free.
$130, 2 800w Subs, In plexiglass Carpeted box... might buy some Kenwoods later :)

But back the question... How much power?

·
Registered
323 Posts
i work at Best Buy and in my region we don't sell clarion the only thing we sell in a plexiglass box with carpeting and the works are Jensons and I'd definately stay away from them

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How about this Set up.....

Either 2 10'inch MTx and an MtX amp.. not sure which one yet

Or Kenwood Amp... and 2 10'inch Kenwood Subs?
( I have a Kenwood Headunit and speakers )

·
Registered
339 Posts
PrOxLaMuS© said:
How about this Set up.....

Either 2 10'inch MTx and an MtX amp.. not sure which one yet

Or Kenwood Amp... and 2 10'inch Kenwood Subs?
( I have a Kenwood Headunit and speakers )
MTX equipment is a great value as far as quality per dollar ratio goes. If you are on a limited budget, which it sounds like you are, I would recommend that you get 2 MTX T4108 10" 8 ohm subs powered by an MTX Thunder4202 amp. You will be able to bridge the amp to both subs since those ones are 8 ohms and will present a 4 ohm load at the amplifier. Just make sure that you get a box that has the recommended air space for those subs, preferably a custom made box, as they sound 10 times better than any pre-fabricated box can. The box is what will either make or break the sound you get out of those subs. That setup shouldn't run you any more than say $560-$575 for the subs, amp, box, wiring and installation. If you are willing to spend a little bit more, I would say to step up to the MTX T6108 subs and either the MTX Thunder8302 or the MTX T6104 subs and the MTX Thunder6500D amp. That setup will run you close to $1000 for everything. It really all depends how much you want to put into it. If you need any other recommendations...give me a shout.:p

1 - 20 of 26 Posts