Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone do an aluminum flywheel and have problems with the crankshaft position sensor? Does it not see the flywheel because it's aluminum or should I check to see if the sensor is broken?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
tunemanxs said:
Anyone do an aluminum flywheel and have problems with the crankshaft position sensor? Does it not see the flywheel because it's aluminum or should I check to see if the sensor is broken?

0_o;; What?? Most of the crankshaft position sensors I've dealt with are behind the harmonic balancer via an exciter ring and a magnetic sensor (similar to an ABS system). Is it really on the flywheel? That sure would be odd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's mounted in the bell housing. I can tell you that for sure... What exactly it's reading, I don't know... I gather that it is magnetic. I've had the code for years but now the car won't pass New york state inspection because the check engine light is on. I guess I'll pull the sensor and look at it first.
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
tunemanxs said:
It's mounted in the bell housing. I can tell you that for sure... What exactly it's reading, I don't know... I gather that it is magnetic. I've had the code for years but now the car won't pass New york state inspection because the check engine light is on. I guess I'll pull the sensor and look at it first.
It is in fact magnetic however many people have alminum flywheels and have not reported CEL's because of them. Pull the sensor and check it with a multimeter. You shoudl measuer an impedence within the range of 166-204ohms if the sensor is at 77 degrees ferenheit. If it checks out then perhaps the flywheel is an issue, though it has not been documented before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
sorry guys, this is probably the most noobish question yall have heard on here, but what is the flywheel for? what does it do? thanks for your patience
 

·
Please Shift Here
Joined
·
6,696 Posts
well, on the automatic, it really only has 1 purpose, the outer gear teeth are what the starter grabs onto to start the car. It's part of the torque converter. On a manual car, it serves 2 purposes: 1. to start the car, and 2, provides a surface for the clutch disc to grab onto. When you engage the clutch, the pressure plate pushes the disc against the flywheel and the car moves.

edit: more info here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm

clutch2.htm and clutch3.htm show the exact explanation.
 

·
Red line chaser
Joined
·
814 Posts
lshadoff said:
You beat me to it. My turbo car has a Fidanza flywheel and the CEL stays lit because of it. I'd swap in a JWT flywheel if it wasn't such a PITA to do. It doesn't throw the CEL on the B14's, and supposedly neither do the newer gen Fidanza flywheels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, now I guess my tranny is coming out either way... When I tried to get the Crank position sensor out it snapped off in the bell housing. It is seized in there pretty bad. I guess I'll just pull the tranny, change the sensor and put a stock flywheel in. Here in New york state this year if your check engine light is on, you don't pass inspection. sucks to be me I guess..
 

·
Wise Cracker
Joined
·
5,730 Posts
tunemanxs said:
Well, now I guess my tranny is coming out either way... When I tried to get the Crank position sensor out it snapped off in the bell housing. It is seized in there pretty bad. I guess I'll just pull the tranny, change the sensor and put a stock flywheel in. Here in New york state this year if your check engine light is on, you don't pass inspection. sucks to be me I guess..
After some research apparently the JWT flywheel does not throw the CEL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Yea I posted that other thread a while back. The new clutch FINALLY goes in this weekend if JGY can get things together. I ordered one of the new flywheels with the part number 621 instead of the older 201 in hopes that the new one won't trigger the cel. It has been over 2 months since I ordered. I'll let you guys know what's up after I put it in. WOOHOO can't wait.
 

·
wont go any faster?
Joined
·
475 Posts
tunemanxs said:
It's mounted in the bell housing. I can tell you that for sure... What exactly it's reading, I don't know... I gather that it is magnetic. I've had the code for years but now the car won't pass New york state inspection because the check engine light is on. I guess I'll pull the sensor and look at it first.
why dont you just pull the cel light bulb then get it inspected
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
Skoodles said:
why dont you just pull the cel light bulb then get it inspected
Part of the inspection procedure is to check the bulb. Also, in Texas (I don't know about NY), they attach a cable to the OBD-II port and it checks for faults.

Lew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jared592 said:
That's the way it is in every state that does emissions.
In NY they actually hook up to the OBD-II port to check for faults. You don't even pass if all the readiness indicators fail. Like if you just cleared the codes before having it inspected. Fidanza told me today that they were not aware that the 96 SE-R had the crank position sensor and they want me to send them my flywheel.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top