Nissan Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
ezalty said:
thank you sir (sorry forgot you're a working man like me)
Thanks man for all your help and for keeping us up on whats going on. if you have any other shots of differences between stock and aftermarket that would be cool as well any install tips that you encountered.
:thumbup:
The exhaust has to be about the easiest thing to do provided you have some jackstands that can get the rear of the car high enough. We'll be doing another exhaust soon enough so, if there's any tricks to it I'll definitely detail that in the article.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SR20AL said:
If the intake manifold was changed for the SE-R in 05 it certainly wasn't in any press release that we saw. Any manufacturer tends to be pretty tight liped about the sources of power increases. While we can't confirm or deny (do we sound like the FBI or what) the intake manifold was changed, our belief is that the most likely source of the found power in the Altima SE-R is in the exhaust system.

Look at the examples on a Stock Altima SE (close) vs. the Mossy system.

We would certainly hope to see more power out of the car if the intake manifold was changed. Then again, with all that power going to the front wheels the car really doesn't need much more power.
Understood, if the IM did change I think it changed for ALL VQ35 Alties not just the SE-R, but I could be wrong. Discussion over on another web forum indicates the part numbers are indeed different for the 05+ model years for the IM's. That doesn't necessarily equate to a physically different IM though. Like you said, most manufacturers don't let on this info openly. Best "we" as the SE/SE-R community can tell, it's a resonator delete that generates the extra 10HP for the SE-R. Notice that the big ole resonator on the SE is not there on the SE-R. :)

Can't wait for next month's issue! :)

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
I was speaking to an engineer buddy who works at Nissan about the intake manifold and he thought it "could" be different on the 05 cars. It would be interesting to see the differences on the manifold given the different part numbers as you mentioned. Since it could be hard to tell the internal differences a flow bench would be the best test.

The SE-R stock exhaust is great. That car turns heads every time the engine is started.

·
Registered
29 Posts
SR20AL said:
I was speaking to an engineer buddy who works at Nissan about the intake manifold and he thought it "could" be different on the 05 cars. It would be interesting to see the differences on the manifold given the different part numbers as you mentioned. Since it could be hard to tell the internal differences a flow bench would be the best test.

The SE-R stock exhaust is great. That car turns heads every time the engine is started.
Yes, I love the exhaust on the SE-R. I'm waiting til the next installment on the SE-R from you guys before deciding to do anything more. Tax refunds are coming soon. :) FYI if you guys don't already know, Technosquare is almost done their ECU upgrades for SE-R models with TZ and TW ECU codes, I'm hoping you guys will be testing headers and ECU soon. Since this is my daily driver, I think i/h/e/ecu will about do it. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
ECU

cjbaldw said:
Yes, I love the exhaust on the SE-R. I'm waiting til the next installment on the SE-R from you guys before deciding to do anything more. Tax refunds are coming soon. :) FYI if you guys don't already know, Technosquare is almost done their ECU upgrades for SE-R models with TZ and TW ECU codes, I'm hoping you guys will be testing headers and ECU soon. Since this is my daily driver, I think i/h/e/ecu will about do it. :)
Yeah i know about the ecu, isn't that great. I recently posted a new thread asking people to check which ecu they had, so have you checked yours yet?
If you don't mind could you post the reply on the new thread? thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nice article on the Nismo suspension. I've been holding off on any suspension mods so far, but will have to think twice about the Nismo suspension now that you folks have reviewed it.

Couple of questions, it seems mods for the SE-R are slow to come to market. I know Hotshot has been working on headers but so far as I know they are having problems tripping wideband O2 related OBDII codes so far. FYI Kinetix is in final development of an upper IM for the Alties...can you give us any clue as to what if anything you'll be reviewing next???

·
Banned
680 Posts
NPM is no longer the admin of this site, so the NPM cars will not have much discussion here. They have started discussion for the SE-R on the new site. Visit NPM and there should be a link there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a fellow Co-worker who has a 06 Altima SE-R. He is currently running the Hotshot headers, Nissan Cai, Nismo Suspension, 245/45 18 tires, Nismo cams, and ported intake manifold. The car has no cats and is running straight pipes into twin borla mufflers with factory tips. He also has the lsd equipped 6spd. As of recently, he has not tripped any o2 sensor codes and the car is running great. last time we went to the strip, he peeled a 13.0 flat 1/4mile. i forget the trap speed. It is currently faster than our friends 350Z. So the SE-R does have alot of potential. No to mention he has a 150 shot of Nitrous in the trunk as a backup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Majority of the power gains were from remapping the ecu. The engine is similar to the 350Z and maxima. it is just tuned differently. Ecu tweaks can open up at least another 15-20hp easy.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts