Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far they have added a nismo cai. Have ther been any other updates or trial and error with headers or anything. Looking to upgrade my exhaust and springs.

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
1serhappyhunter said:
So far they have added a nismo cai. Have ther been any other updates or trial and error with headers or anything. Looking to upgrade my exhaust and springs.
We're exploring new possibilities beyond what we've done already with our Altima 3.5 SE project. That project can certainly give you enough reading if you haven't seen those articles already.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/projectaltima.php

We'll definitely be doing headers, pulleys and cams as power adders. The stock exhaust seems awful good for stock, like the 350Z. We would like to try the soon to be released NISMO exhaust for the Altima but we've been told the tips won’t clear the rear SE-R apron. Perhaps something could be fabricated to get around this.

We'll probably be going in the braking, suspension and wheels and tires direction first.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I followed the 3.5 project for a while (had one). Is there something in line specifically for the suspension? I was looking at the Eibach sport kit. Any ideas on what size or brand of brakes you might go with?

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
1serhappyhunter said:
I followed the 3.5 project for a while (had one). Is there something in line specifically for the suspension? I was looking at the Eibach sport kit. Any ideas on what size or brand of brakes you might go with?
Now you have an Altima SE-R? What a Nissan supporter!

Lowering springs are good if you just want to get the car down on the ground but you'll want to be careful that your not loosing too much suspension travel. The stiffer feeling your getting with lowering springs doesn't necessarily mean the car is handling any better. Often the handling gets worse when you lower a car with springs and dont change the dampeners.

You'll have to wait for the up coming articles on our braking and suspension decisions. Sorry.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I love the Altima. I belive the possibilties of this car are just beginning to be realized. Well the tires on my car have 4300 miles on them and the wear is ok. If there is another tire with just as good numbers then I'd be willing to check it out. Now to be honest the rims and tires should be larger to match the sive of the car. If it had come with 18x5 w/ 245-45-18 might give the corners a little more to worry about. But that might be wishful thinking. How about that NISMO exhaust what have you hear about that or susupension for this car. I called up NISMO a couple times and they are pretty nice fellas.

·
Banned
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SE-R update

Jello to all just finished with the new issue. I think they should drop that bad boy like 2.5 inches front/1.5 with the Eibach springs or NISMO coilovers.
Then drop in a set of Mossy headers ( or Stillen) and go for a rip, to the dyno shop hopefully,yeah baby yeah!
So no word on the SE-R update? Anyone with info about the project car or their own project SE-R upgrades please feel free to pm me.
:cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
SR20AL said:
We're exploring new possibilities beyond what we've done already with our Altima 3.5 SE project. That project can certainly give you enough reading if you haven't seen those articles already.

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/projects/projectaltima.php

We'll definitely be doing headers, pulleys and cams as power adders. The stock exhaust seems awful good for stock, like the 350Z. We would like to try the soon to be released NISMO exhaust for the Altima but we've been told the tips won’t clear the rear SE-R apron. Perhaps something could be fabricated to get around this.

We'll probably be going in the braking, suspension and wheels and tires direction first.
Considering the 05+ Altimas use a new wideband O2 sensor package that alters the header configuration and O2 sim setup, I'd vote for headers sooner than later. Hotshot just finished the fabrication process for the 05 VQ35 Alty headers, not sure if Nismo will ever produce any for the Alty. I see that you installed Hotshot on the Altima SE project so another go at Hotshot might make sense for comparative purposes on the Altima SE-R. :)

Also would love to see some lowering springs installed, perhaps trying both Eibach and the Nismo suspension package comparatively if possible. If they ever produce an Alty compatible plenum mod (ala 350Z) that'd be something else I'd love to see tested outside of the usual i/e/h type mods that you'll inevitably cover.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Wow I am actually ahead of NPM as far as performance goes. lol So yeah the supsension, breaking, and wheels are somthing I am very eagar to hear about.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
altyser said:
Wow I am actually ahead of NPM as far as performance goes. lol So yeah the supsension, breaking, and wheels are somthing I am very eagar to hear about.
yea but you don't have to take pictures, dyno test, write the articles, format the web pages..etc... ;)

What has been released in article form is not nessesarily what's on the car as we speak... :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
myoung said:
yea but you don't have to take pictures, dyno test, write the articles, format the web pages..etc... ;)

What has been released in article form is not nessesarily what's on the car as we speak... :cheers:
how about an update on the website or here and give us a napkin for our drool? :p Been patiently waiting for some test results to purchase parts.
so altyser have you had a chance to dyno your car before you installed your parts?

·
Registered
53 Posts
myoung said:

Well if they have already done somting else, then at max it should take a week to write an article and a day to format the web page. either way can you at least say for sure that they have done more or could you tell when they will post somthing?

Oh and nice ride by the way!

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
altyser said:
Well if they have already done somting else, then at max it should take a week to write an article and a day to format the web page. either way can you at least say for sure that they have done more or could you tell when they will post somthing?

yes more has been done..

Who is they?... NPM staff are all volunteers.. we all have regular jobs..

If you can install a part.. dyno test...write the article...take all the pictures and format it all for web use in a week then you need to volunteer your time to the community ;)

Each month a new issue comes out.. if it's in there then it's in there.. but we can't do an update on every single project every single month... no publication does that...and we are mere mortals ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
SR20AL said:
We're just as excited as you are about it. Our box of parts should be in soon. :)

Nice quarter mile times BTW.
Thx for the complement. :)

Question, on another forum, I saw someone refer to the fact that the SE-R and possibly all 05+ VQ35 engines use a different head VQ35DE block, not just the addition of the wideband O2 system but a slightly different head design that may have been borrowed from the 4.0L heads on the VQ40 engine. Can you confirm/deny this for me? I'd be surprised if this was the case but wanted to see if you could verify or not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
altyser said:

point taken

·
NPM Executive Editor
214 Posts
cjbaldw said:
Thx for the complement. :)

Question, on another forum, I saw someone refer to the fact that the SE-R and possibly all 05+ VQ35 engines use a different head VQ35DE block, not just the addition of the wideband O2 system but a slightly different head design that may have been borrowed from the 4.0L heads on the VQ40 engine. Can you confirm/deny this for me? I'd be surprised if this was the case but wanted to see if you could verify or not.
If the intake manifold was changed for the SE-R in 05 it certainly wasn't in any press release that we saw. Any manufacturer tends to be pretty tight liped about the sources of power increases. While we can't confirm or deny (do we sound like the FBI or what) the intake manifold was changed, our belief is that the most likely source of the found power in the Altima SE-R is in the exhaust system.

Look at the examples on a Stock Altima SE (close) vs. the Mossy system.

We would certainly hope to see more power out of the car if the intake manifold was changed. Then again, with all that power going to the front wheels the car really doesn't need much more power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
SR20AL said:
For those that have been patiently waiting we'll have an update for you next month.
thank you sir (sorry forgot you're a working man like me)
Thanks man for all your help and for keeping us up on whats going on. if you have any other shots of differences between stock and aftermarket that would be cool as well any install tips that you encountered.
:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts