Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My dad's 94 Altima (160k miles) is dead. He was cruising down the highway when the radiator hose blew off. He stopped the car, let it cool down for over an hour, reattached the hose and topped off the fluid. The car started after some effort, but after a few minutes, the temp gauge rose again. Right before he stopped, white smoke started coming from the exhaust. It then wouldn't start again. It would just crank, though there was no abnormal noise in the engine.

The thought is a probable head gasket, but one shop guessed the engine was destroyed.

Thoughts? And what do you think the probable costs associated with you diagnosis are? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
konfuzion3 said:
It'll be cheaper to just get a new engine. You can find a used k24 just about anywhere for a few hundred dollars.
Really? Are we saying a used long block or short block? Easy swap (I'm into Hotrods and Subarus...doin't know Nissan well)

Thanks.

·