Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Altima was running perfectly this morning, later today when I get home from work, all the sudden the tranny (automatic) is acting up for no reason, on certain spot, the first gear seems gone, but if I keep on driving, 2nd and 3rd gears will get a sudden boost on engine (large increase in RPM) and returns to normal, even the 4th gear is gone with this problem.

Keep in mind that this problem occurs especially if I make a full stop on the street and try to go again, I'll have to shift to parking and move to D for the car to move, very frustrating, especially when tranny problems are perceived gradual.

·
Biru O' Kudasai
1,426 Posts
The trans fluid and filter should be changed and at minimum the level should be checked. Worst case scenerio the trans is ready to be rebuilt/replaced.

Troy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I think I should follow this up so everyone can take a lesson.

I have a good transmission repair shop checked everything, it turns out that the anti-freeze has been contaminating the transmission, 18 months ago I changed the transmission fliud after only 25,000 miles because it was turning brown, which IS NOT normal! I went ahead switched the fluid, the problem is, the anti-freeze is leaking so it kept contaminating the transmission until it caused the clutches to get torn, that's why it was acting up, because it just tore the clutches.

I saw the damaged transmission, everything is rusted, like you let them sit under rain for a few days, so a major overhaul is done, he overhauled the tranny, changed the radiator, changed engine belts (thank god he caught it as both belts were cracked and ready to snap), all for $2400 with 3 year warranty, but it could be a lot more expensive if you have dealership done all these.

So if you ever see any of those leaking - tranny, anti-free, engine - do not ignore the problem, get it check right away, also if your tranny fluid turns brown sooner than it should be, get it checked ASAP as well since anti-freeze and/or moisture might have gotten in, as well as lower than normal engine oil or tranny fluid levels.

Now I have ?? concerning other parts, seeing other readers having problem with distributor and starter, is there anyway to check and see if they're OK, looks like it can be a problem if you don't fix them fast, where's distributor located? Is this similar to alternator?

Thanks for everyone's time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts