Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my alternator quit on me and I can't thank my Se-R enough for doing that shit in rush hour traffic while sitting at a light. But anyway the question is when I popped my hood and checked out the alternator, I noticed that coming out of the wire loom leading to my alternator there is a small gauge brown wire with a black stripe on it and the end seems to have some type of metal plug or tip on it. Is it supposed to be plugged in or attached to something? I can't find anything on it in my Haynes. I would like to find out exactly what this wire is before I remove and install a new alternator.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There should be two wires connected to the alternator. A thick one going to the B+ terminal. This conects the alternator and the battery. And a second thin one to D. This is the one that goes to your instrument panel light. This one is used for initial rotor magnetization.

Does your alternator light come on?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this problem a couple weeks ago, and I'm also unsure of which wire got disconnected (my mechanic found the problem after it was towed). But I did not receive any dash indication of a problem, so I think it was the wire to the instrument panel. Mine didn't go out so suddenly. I noticed weaker power (slow windows, which I stupidly ignored), and several miles later it really started struggling (loss of engine power, stereo cut out), at which point I was barely able to drive a half mile to a gas station. It died completely. But then the next morning it started briefly and I drove it for about a mile (batteries can apparently recharge themselves a little I've heard) before it died again. The alternator had to replaced but the battery was fine. I thought it might be that I have an UR alternator pulley (3 months old), and was running my stereo loud, lights, and radar detector. I didn't mention this to my mechanic for fear he wouldn't warranty the alternator (3 months old), but he did, attributing the problem to the disconnected wire, although he sounded unsure (despite 30 years experience). My thread is here: http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php?t=80800

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, upon closer inspection while removing the alternator I realized that the wire in question is actually yellow with black stripe, not brown. But the wire has been so hot before that it looks brown until you pull back on the wire covering. All other wiring seemed to be hooked up properly, the battery wire with the round connector, the two wires that come together and have a plastic plug, and the small wire that goes to the bottom of the alternator and is held on by a small nut. I see no possible places this wire can even go to? Any ideas?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts