Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I havent been here in a few days now I been busy I GOT MY LICENSE FRIDAY...anyways saturday I took my car out to circuit city and had a pioneer head unit and pioneer 3 ways installed..I know besides the point but just a little backround..I was out with my friend tonight and i notice that my e brake light and battery light are on..Called my dad he said its the alternator soo hes goin to take it to work tomorrow to get that fixed..But i was wondering could they off messed things up with wiring or whatever at circuit city? Also..is this a prelude of things to come like one thing after another going wrong with my car? Its only got 32k on it so I dunno..I might have to think about selling it :(

·
Registered
101 Posts
your car's perfectly fine. my alternator went out 10,000 miles ago, had it replaced, no problems whatsoever after that. alternators can go out in every make model year ect... at any time. sadly in our little cars its kinda hard to remove. (my pickup had a huge engine bay with a small motor, 15 minutes and the alternator would of been out) anyways, don't worry about your car. take care and enjoy your trip with a nissan sentra.

·
Now w/20% More Magic
199 Posts
Its true what timothy says,
but with only 32K i find it odd, could be that you had the radio on for a long time with the car off - a almost dead battery can damage a alternator as it trys to recharge it, after you replace the alternator be sure to make sure the battery is in tip top shape

·
Registered
111 Posts
MagicPie said:
Its true what timothy says,
but with only 32K i find it odd, could be that you had the radio on for a long time with the car off - a almost dead battery can damage a alternator as it trys to recharge it, after you replace the alternator be sure to make sure the battery is in tip top shape
Yeah MagiePie has a good point check to see also the connection at the alternator where the rubber fitting is, make sure its not fraying cause it could be causing a short there,it happened to me and had to sodder the thing back on funny thing is that the main screw that came out of the alternator was completely broke i could push the screw in and out not a good thing at all but that was me better luck for you man

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had to replace an alternator, and I haven't had any problems since. By the way, if you are running a system, get a capicator and consider a higher amperage alternator. Also make sure you have the correct wire sizes and all grounds are good. (If circuit city installed it, they should be correct.) All of these will pay off in the long run.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
jswatson said:
(If circuit city installed it, they should be correct.) .
lol, are you serious?

capacitors dont really work.........search the forum and there is a thread on why they dont work..

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't leave the car off and run the stereo cuz i know that kills the battery... Im guessing why the alternator went with only 32k on it is that its a 95... So i guess age got to it..I dunno after school today I should be getting my car back because my dad took it to work..Thanks guys

·
Registered
612 Posts
T200Sx said:
Im guessing why the alternator went with only 32k on it is that its a 95... So i guess age got to it..
YUP! Time and heat do a lot more damage to alternators than mileage. I've heard of them lasting anywhere from 10k miles to 100k miles. Just depends on how your luck holds out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
cHoPs said:
lol, are you serious?

capacitors dont really work.........search the forum and there is a thread on why they dont work..
They do what they are designed to do. :dumbass: How do you figure they don't work? Yes, I know that they don't make extra power, but they create a reserve. You will still be taking power off of the alternator. You probably will need to upgrade the alternator, but in the mean time a capicator will lighten the load on the alternator. Capicators make for short bursts of energy so it won't kill the alternator or battery. They are bascially a fast discharge battery. That is why you will need one if you have a system using an amplifier with higher amperage demands. Go tell an electrician that a capicator don't work. It just depends on the grade and the farad rating on how effective it will be.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
jswatson said:
They do what they are designed to do. :dumbass: How do you figure they don't work? Yes, I know that they don't make extra power, but they create a reserve. You will still be taking power off of the alternator. You probably will need to upgrade the alternator, but in the mean time a capicator will lighten the load on the alternator. Capicators make for short bursts of energy so it won't kill the alternator or battery. They are bascially a fast discharge battery. That is why you will need one if you have a system using an amplifier with higher amperage demands. Go tell an electrician that a capicator don't work. It just depends on the grade and the farad rating on how effective it will be.

is that what the car audio guy told u at best buy or somethin?

besides, hes only running cabin speakers on an aftermarket head unit...NO ABSOLUTE reason for any "reserve" or backup power

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the alternator replaced yesterday car runs fine now so im happy :) couple months from now i plan on gettin one 12" with a small amp just to give it some lows will i need this capictor then? sorry this is kinda going into the audio section but i dont want to start a new thread there.. By the way is it rare to get a lifetime garentee on an alternator cuz i did just wondering it it was a good deal for 120 bucks

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
Hi
A cap has its aplications in electrical energy management, but doesn't create energy at all
Period
Investing in a capacitor would be an option if you already have a bigger alt and a bigger batt
They are not cheap...

·
Registered
21 Posts
T200Sx said:
I got the alternator replaced yesterday car runs fine now so im happy :) couple months from now i plan on gettin one 12" with a small amp just to give it some lows will i need this capictor then? sorry this is kinda going into the audio section but i dont want to start a new thread there.. By the way is it rare to get a lifetime garentee on an alternator cuz i did just wondering it it was a good deal for 120 bucks
No, getting a cap for one 12" sub and an amp would be overkill to a large degree.

·
My ass, your face
3,520 Posts
Jared592 said:
No, getting a cap for one 12" sub and an amp would be overkill to a large degree.

exactly...that was my point i was trying to get at...my friend has 3 12" JL's and a JL amp in his car...that fucker bumps...no need for no cap.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
Well, I'll leave the comments about a circuit city install to a minimum. Lets just say, I wouldn't be going there anytime soon (for purchase or install).

Could the Circuit city guys messed up the alternator? it's possible, but not probable. Alternators don't go by age or mileage, they go by luck. I think enough has been said to cover that.

Now onto my fav topic on this thread. Power issues. Batterys, caps, alts. Technically, Caps are indeed a joke. They do provide some extra power to cover for a few large hits, but they're not magic.

Rule #1: energy is conserved. Caps can't give off more energy than they take in. If you're listening to loud music, you're going to discharge the cap faster than the alt can recharge it. The goal is, when you're listening normally, the cap should be doing nothing, the alt should be producing enough power to charge the cap and run the speakers w/o needing help. Maybe a few big beats will come out that will be more than the alt can handle, therefore, the cap takes over for a second, then it's recharged as it sits idle. Oh, guess what, the battery does the same thing as a cap!!!! Get a deep cycle battery, it can do a better job than a cap, it has more capacity and voltage doesn't drop either.

Rule #2: only 1 source of power. Like I said, a cap or a batt cannot put out more than it takes in. You can get the most espensive cap you can find, you can get the most expensive battery you can find, hell, fill your trunk with them, I don't care, it'll actually hurt your alternator more than it'll help. The alt. has to charge everything up. If your cap can cover a bass hit, great, but the alternator has to fill the cap back up before it can take another bass hit.

Rule 3: here is what you need to do to get real results: It's called the big 3:
>Better grounding will allow the Alt. to run more efficiently and allow the battery to charge more efficiently, this will save the alternator's life.
>Better battery (deep cycle). Deep cycle batteries prevent voltage drops, They will continue to push out 12.5V for as long as possible. They work better than any cap and they hold more.
>Better alternator. Yes, you have a good bettery, yes you have good grounding, hell you may have a cap, but there's only one source of power, your alt. You need more power? Than you need a better source.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
>Better alternator. Yes, you have a good bettery, yes you have good grounding, hell you may have a cap, but there's only one source of power, your alt. You need more power? Than you need a better source.
Ok.
So what Alternators are a bolt in replacement with a higher Amp rating ?
For the GA1.6 and the SR20 cars are the Alternators the same ?
Thanks Ian.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
IIRG, yes, the SR20 alt. should work on the GA16 and it pushed 10 more amps(60A vs 50A). But don't go for it until you can confirm that this statement is true. I think I heard of this before. I think you can also order specal 'stock replacement' alternators that push out many more amps than the stock alt (I think around 90-100A). I don't recall the websites tho, but they're out there.

Hell, I've heard of people rigging up 200+Amp Ambulance Alternators for hardcore audio competitions and hydraulics.

·
GA16DE
606 Posts
I have two 150 amp alts for spl comps... ;)
And I know of alts made by Dominic and Ohio generator putting out 300 amperes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts