Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on replacing my alternator this weekend. After a couple of months now, the voltage has slowly declined, and it doesn't give out more than 12.5 volts. That and the fact that when loaded down, the lights begin to dim and so forth....(obviously if anyone thinks it could be something else, let me know)

So I guess I am asking advice from any of you who have done this before on the 1.6l. Are there any tricks to the job? I assume that it pulls right out the top( though the fit looks rather tight.). Please just share any advice if you've got it...thanks.

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
its really easy, you shouldnt have a problem. just one bolt on top and one on the bottom. i had a bitch of a time pulling the alt. out with the bolts removed but finaly i just got pissed reached in there grabed that sucker and cussed and screemed and yelled untill it came out. then i held it above my head gave a battle cry and slammed it onto the ground (my neighbor wass rolling on the ground laughing). you will probably have a easyer time than me, nothing EVER goes easy for me.

p.s. do you have a system that may be trashing your alt. out?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the car from a friend who might have. He was running a couple of amps off of it for some time. He did the work himself, so it is possible that he slowly burned it out. All I know is that now my car's power system gets drained down real easy when loaded with a/c on high with lights......I like the slamming of the alternator though...I will be sure to do something similar, though I do need to get the core charge back from autozone...

thanks again

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
the stator diodes in the alternator couldn't handle the load on the battery because of the amps, also consider, or look after the battery after the swap, a really abused battery may as well mess up the new alternator you are about to install........not holding charge and all..........

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe there are two bolts on the bottom. You may also have to remove the plastic guard on the alternator and the radiator hose (possibly the metal outlet that attaches the radiator hose to the engine).

If the coils on the alternator are dirty, you could buy some alternator/electrical cleaners from any auto place. That would also be an easy fix where replacement is not necessary.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. I did go ahead and put the new alternator in, and the shit works great. It is amazing what a failing alternator can do to overall feel of a car. There were two bolts on the bottom, and I did have to remove the radiator hose to get the thing out, but after that, it wasn't really too difficult.

thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts