Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm thinking about putting a nice sound system in my car. The plan is to put in two 15" Rockford Fosgate Punch subs (getting them from a cousin for $200). They are 4 ohms 200W RMS, 400W Peak. I would like to have two amps. One for the subs and one for the other speakers. I'm thinking about going Rockford down that road as well. I'm no expert at sound so I'm just gonna take a stab at it. I'm going to need a 400W RMS, 800W Peak amp. (Any suggestions on the sound sys are welcome) Since I am going to be pushing so much power, I am worried I am going to fry my alternator. Is there anything I can do in the way upgrading it? I'm sure I will, b/c when I hooked up those damned nozzle lights, they fried the alternator. I've since disconnected them b/c not only did they screw up my car, I dont want any rice on the car anymore... (only reason they are still connected to the washer system is b/c i like the way they spray).

Obivously I have the GA16DE as I'm posting in this forum.

i've also been having a problem with the car since the day I got it. Everyonce in a while, all the gauges, radio, and a/c lights will go out. Now they come on once I flick the brightness switch. Has anyone else had this problem? How do I fix this. It's really beginning to piss me off... TIA!

·
Registered
500 Posts
My guages do that every once in a blue moon on my 99. The whole dash lighting system will just go out and I just barely touch the dimmer swich on the left side of the dash and they come back on. It's weird. I don't know why it does that.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there somewhere I might look for more information? i'm trying not to take it somewhere to have it hooked up. I know a guy who used to install stereo systems who said he'd help me install everything once I have all the parts. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi,

I already posted on this exact topic, but you should get a good wiring kit (minimum 4 gauge, 2 would be better and 0 would be best, maybe a lil. overkill but better to be safe than sorry)and a hight current amp and deep cycle battery in order to not fry your alternator.....I would not go with Rockford Fosgate, I'd go with MMats, Diamond Audio or Phoenix Gold..... There is nothing wroing with Rokford Fosgate, but in my opinion there are better options out there...The Diamond 6 channel would be a great idea, im getting one myself.....I've been through Hifonics, Kenwood, Pioneer and lots of other amps, so i'd like to think i know what i'm talking about, plust i've blown two alternators and countless numbers of subs, by not doing things right in the first place....By doing it right, your amps will run cool, your subs will have clean rms power, and your alternator and the rest of your electrical system will be happy, and so will your ears:D Take care..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where is the thread on that? I didn't see one talking about an alternator. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont mind Q's. I just wanted to know where the thread is for the topic he was talking about so I could read over it. :D I should have quoted what he said. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes,

The 6 channel would replace having to have 2 seperate amplifiers, one to run the highs, and the other for lows. The advantages are obvious, less complexity, no need to have an external crossover or a board to mount all those components on etc. The disadvantage is that on some multichannel amps, the amount of watts you will have on the sub channel/s might not be as much as you would like... However, having had every possible combination of speakers in my trunk from 8's to 15's has shown me that at least in the sentra, one good 12 is more than enough to put out serious bass......2 12's, 15's, that's overkill.......

K

·
0 Posts
for your sound

Like someone else said, Its a good idea to get some capacitors because usually the blowouts on your alternator come from power surges caused by anything on your car. A sound system would defenitely do the job, but be sure that all the installation is done correctly and that you ground all your stuff down good.

D

·
0 Posts
To add my own experience: I just had two RF 10" subs and a Kenwood amp that can put out 600 watts. The subs run at 150 rms and peak at 400 (if I remember correctly). I have a 1/2 fared capacitator. It was all professionally installed. The head unit is aftermarket as well.

The result: SERIOUS bass and absolutley now electrical problems (knock on wood). The headlights never dim and the head unit barely, and I mean barely blinks.

I am still going to upgrade the alternator but I don' think it is necessary for the sounds. I plan to add other components that may stress the alternator.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tosainu1 said:
Yes,

The 6 channel would replace having to have 2 seperate amplifiers, one to run the highs, and the other for lows. The advantages are obvious, less complexity, no need to have an external crossover or a board to mount all those components on etc. The disadvantage is that on some multichannel amps, the amount of watts you will have on the sub channel/s might not be as much as you would like... However, having had every possible combination of speakers in my trunk from 8's to 15's has shown me that at least in the sentra, one good 12 is more than enough to put out serious bass......2 12's, 15's, that's overkill.......
As for overkill, I'm getting them for a good price. I have debated about keeping one and selling the other. I'm not sure yet though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts