Nissan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when i got home from work...i parked in my garage and noticed a screeching sound comin from the engine...i opened up the hood and tried to look where the sound was comin from...it sounded like the sound was comin from the alternator...but i also noticed the engine fan wasnt on either...i turned off the car...then turned it back on...everything still came back on (radio)...but the sound was still there and fan wasn't working...what's the prob?
 

·
Mofo
Joined
·
2,225 Posts
You are going to have to narrow it down to a particular part. Just because your fans aren't on doesn't mean there is something wrong. They kick on and off at certian temps.
If it is comming from your alternator, it might be just the belt. Try some belt dressing and see if that helps.
If it is comming from your fans. It probably means that one of, or bolth of your fans bearing have become seized.
 

·
My ass, your face
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
You are going to have to narrow it down to a particular part. Just because your fans aren't on doesn't mean there is something wrong. They kick on and off at certian temps.
If it is comming from your alternator, it might be just the belt. Try some belt dressing and see if that helps.
If it is comming from your fans. It probably means that one of, or bolth of your fans bearing have become seized.

no!!! dont use belt dressing! all it will really do is make the problem worse. its oil based(which is bad to begin with) and will only attract dust/debris which will harm the belts....but nostrodomas is right in the sense that u have to kind of narrow it down(describe the screeching) it can be bad bearings on the alternator or it can be bad belts..depending on when it screeches and so forth...as far as the fans go...there are 2. one is a cooling fan and the other is the A/C fan..they dont work at all times
 

·
My ass, your face
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
Nostrodomas said:
Hey 2 out of three aint bad.....lol
I only suggested the dressing for him to determine if it was the belt or the bearings......

haha yea i know:)...id be willing to put money on it that his belts are pretty cracked up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cHoPs said:
haha yea i know:)...id be willing to put money on it that his belts are pretty cracked up.

yea...you would've won too..my uncle checked it...and he told me it was jus water splashed onto it somehow and made it screech...but he also noticed i need to change both belts cuz it's kinda cracking...

by the way...if you're in the front of the car under the hood...which fan is which? cuz he took off the one on the left (passenger) side cuz supposely the motor is screwed...he told me it's the ac fan...true? jus wondering...cuz i drove around today wondering if it was the radiator fan...watchin closely at the temp...
 

·
My ass, your face
Joined
·
3,520 Posts
blackgxe99 said:
yea...you would've won too..my uncle checked it...and he told me it was jus water splashed onto it somehow and made it screech...but he also noticed i need to change both belts cuz it's kinda cracking...

by the way...if you're in the front of the car under the hood...which fan is which? cuz he took off the one on the left (passenger) side cuz supposely the motor is screwed...he told me it's the ac fan...true? jus wondering...cuz i drove around today wondering if it was the radiator fan...watchin closely at the temp...

haha yea, the fan on the passenger side is the a/c fan.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top