Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here is the problem.
Lower pivot point on the alternator has two bolts one on the outside (fender well side) and one on the inside (engine side, back of alternator).

The bolt on the back side is in real good. Can get a regular wrench on it but can't get it to break free. I can get a short socket on it but because there is a sensor or wire of some sort right beside the bolt I can not get a rachet or bar handle in the socket because it hits the wire or whatever it is. Can not see how to remove the wire or whatever it is thats in the way. Can not get a wobble extension in same problem. I have even tried tapping the wrench with a hammer to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Donatello :jump:

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
the right way to unlock this bolt will be to get underneat the car and unplug the sensor if its in the way. youll have plenty of space looking at it from underneat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yeah got at it from underneath... me and my dad thought we could do it from the top without having to get under the car... boy were we wrong :loser:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
i changed mine in my 88 in around 5 minutes from the top buuuuut my friends call me mcgyver so it probebly took some finage'ing and i just didnt notice

·
Registered
193 Posts
I unbolted mine from the bottom and pulled it out through the top. It was tricky getting it out though. I had to disconnect some stuff.

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
If you can do it, get that sensor wire off and try to put a low torch flame to that bolt-head. Don't get it red-hot, though. Then, a sharp rap with a hammer can jar it some, then give some wrench-ola a try. It should help. If all else fails, break the alternator arm near that pesky bolt and ya gotta probably eat the core charge, if you're exchanging it.

I just rebuilt my Hitachi alternator: New brushes and slip-ring assembly for $12 and change (Plus tax for Ms. 'Guv' Christine 'Gargoyle'...REVOTE!). Best of luck!

·
Whore Slut Bitch
464 Posts
Where do you buy brushes for Alternators? I've never found a place, but that might be on account of I'm broken in the head.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
dont heat it too much... the alternator support is quite easy to strip off.. aluminium ... been there :D

·
Moved on...Ciao!
629 Posts
spelch said:
Where do you buy brushes for Alternators? I've never found a place, but that might be on account of I'm broken in the head.
If you look in the Yellow Pages under Automobile Electric, you might find ads for shops that sell starter/alternator rebuild stuff, like brushes, slip rings, rotors, stators, bearings, diodes/rectifiers, regulators, whathaveyou. Give 'er a try. Ciao!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts