Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the alternator about a month ago with a refurbished unit. last night the alternator seemed to die when i floored it(something i dont do often, but is fun once in a while), the check electrical light came on and i drove home on battery power. today i tested it once again, and the check electrical light is very dimly lit and the alternator is "singing." like a high pitched moan, not a squeal...it almost seems like its not lubricated.

is there a chance that i could lubricate the alternator without taking it apart? or must i take the unit back(im having trouble finding the recipt with the warranty on it, so im really easing off this option)

·
TwiztidKidd
807 Posts
There's a chance the belt was out of adjustment (tensioned too much) and one of the two bearings inside is ruined. You cannot grease them they are sealed and self-lubricated. :)

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i probably ruined the bearings by over tightening the belt. i really have no idea how tight to make it so i just tightened that sumbitch down. how do i tell the correct tension?

and i found the recipt, yay!

·
Registered
450 Posts
how do i tell the correct tension?
Specific deflection in inches will be listed in the FSM and Alldata. Haynes has a general guideline. It says to check belt tension by pushing firmly on the belt at a distance halfway between the pulleys and note how far it can be pushed/deflected. Measure the deflection with a ruler (there is a picture showing a straight edge going from pulley to pulley for accuracy). The belt should deflect 1/4 inch if the distance from the pulley center to pulley center is between 7-11 inches,: the belt should deflect 1/2 inch if the distance from pulley center to puller center is between 12 and 16 inches. A new belt will need a little more tension since it will stretch. When I had had doubts on the correct tension on my Mazda truck, I just took it to my mechanic. :thumbup:

It could be the alternator was the problem, not the belt tension. I have heard so many horror stories of rebuilt alternators failing in short order. Lucky for me my mechanic put on a new one. His statement was that Auto Zone alternators were not worth it, considering you may have to replace them 2 or 3 times. Good luck!

·
Destroyer of worlds.
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i set it so that it had NO deflection...i think i found my problem :fluffy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts