Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get my alternator out and ran into a prob.

I am trying to unloosen the nut by the pulley and turning
counter-clockwise and the back of the bolt is spinning.

I tried to get a set of visegrips on it but no luck.

Any ideas? Thanks

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
It should have a hook on the end that holds it.itll turn a little until it catches..I think this is the one you are talking about..its the pivot bolt...and I believe a 17 mm on the pulley side

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the pivot bolt off...it is the other one. if you are looking at
the alternator from the passenger side...its on the lower right...which should be the 2nd nut to remove.....that bolt size i am guessing is 17 or 18mm....cause i tried a 16 and it was too small...i have to go and buy a 17 or 18mm wrench...thanks

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
ok..you lost me.......

there are 3 bolts you remove to take out the alternator:

The rear pivot bolt..17mm (by the block behind the alternator)

The long tension bolt..12mm (goes thru the bracket down to the locking block)

The front mounting bolt 12mm (goes thru the locking block, and bolts to the alternator itself in the front) ...if this is spinning, I think it has snapped off into the alternator...(had it happen)

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gotcha...the rear pivot bolt is what i am talking about then....
it would be the 17mm right by the belt...when i turn it counter-clockwise the back of the bolt which looks tapered is spinning...like the nut might be siezed onto the bolt?
thanks for the help

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
ok, so there isnt a little J type hook on the bolt..? its supposed to set into the mounting bracket and hold it in place so the bolt doesnt turn...if thats not there..its not gonna be fun.

·
Its a JEEP thing...
388 Posts
good luck man..there aint alot of room to get anything back in there..especially if you dont have a header...

·
Tampa SR20
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i got it done on saturday ..finally the hook caught and it unloosened...the only prob i had was when i was using the tightening bolt...i broke it...gotta get a new one..but got the belt
tightened

·
Registered
71 Posts
During a night Enduro with NASA in my SE-R Cup car last Saturday, we had to do an alternator swap after the first 40 minutes (sorry Joel!!). The little "J" on the end of the pivot bolt was gone, and the car had been at no less than 5000RPM for the previous 40 minutes. After 5 minutes of talking him into it, Joel Ward took 30 minutes to do the swap (and left some nice patches of skin on the header to boot!).

It can be done, but it isn't fun, especially putting the bolt back in...

Tom

Black200SXSER said:
ok, so there isnt a little J type hook on the bolt..? its supposed to set into the mounting bracket and hold it in place so the bolt doesnt turn...if thats not there..its not gonna be fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts