Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question. I replaced the altenator on my NX 1600 last december. When the alternator went the charge light came on. 2 Months ago all my electricall components (i.e. lights, dash) began to pulsate in unison with the altenator indicating that the regulatore was faulty. I was driving to get the altenator warrenteed when all of the suddun I got this high pitch sound (like when you have the TV on but no sound). As I drove the noise got louder and louder, changing pitch depending on the number of appliances I had running. I took it to my mechanic and he tested the altenator. He said the altenator was shot, so he fully chrged the battery so that I could take it to the place where I got the altenator. The sound completely diappeared... but as the battery began to drain, the sound came back (albeit not as loud as before). So what I am wondering is, is this sound normal for an NX (i.e. is the sound generated by the digital dash not having enough power), or do I have a serious electrical problem (i.e. arching?). Also, which fuse controls the digital dash so that I can test is the dash is faulty.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
339 Posts
...that sounds like the pitch may come from the buzzer inside the dash pannel, the one that beeps when you left something on... have you checked the battery voltage when that happens? maybe it's too low since the alternator it's not charging it and the ECU it's loosing energy needed to work properly, causing errors and probably making the buzzer to sound when nothing happens. Just an idea, never happened to me... but may be it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your mechanic already said your alternator is toast - go get it replaced and then report back to us.

BTW, a bad diode in the alternator will 'whine'.

batman2282 said:
Hello,

I took it to my mechanic and he tested the altenator. He said the altenator was shot, so he fully chrged the battery so that I could take it to the place where I got the altenator. The sound

·
Registered
413 Posts
In regards to your dashboard issue: You might want to check your fusible links that run off of the alternator. There are two of them:

1. 30A Electronic Ignition
2. 75A Battery

On the newer '95-'99 SR20DEs, I believe they are both located in a fuse box bolted to the drivers side fender behind the battery near the stock intake tubing. That is where they are on 200SX's and G20's.

Unfortunately, I can not remember where they are on the B13 Sentra or NX's.

The Battery fusioble link will cause crazy Volt readings from the alternator and cause your gauges to randomly freak out. The 30A fusible link generally will shut down the dash lights, and I believe running lights and tail lights, but not certain.

Also check to see that no fuses under the dash blew.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts