Nissan Forum banner

61 - 80 of 169 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Thig / Mike:

I just had my car serviced for something that sounds similar to what you are describing. On my way home from work one night last week (~70 mph), the car lost power briefly (the word that really comes to mind is lurch) and then was seeming ok. The second time the car 'lurched' (same night), the 'service engine soon' light came on, and stayed on. Took the car to a dealer the next day, where they reproduced the 'lurch' upon test driving. Said they thought it was an electrical problem, and highly recommended that I not continue to drive the car (!) until the problem was diagnosed. After 3 days of diagnostics (!!), it turns out that the oxygen and cam angle sensors had to be replaced. Thank goodness my car is still under warrantee (~14,000 miles).

·
Registered
641 Posts
Betty J. said:
Thig / Mike:

I just had my car serviced for something that sounds similar to what you are describing. On my way home from work one night last week (~70 mph), the car lost power briefly (the word that really comes to mind is lurch) and then was seeming ok. The second time the car 'lurched' (same night), the 'service engine soon' light came on, and stayed on. Took the car to a dealer the next day, where they reproduced the 'lurch' upon test driving. Said they thought it was an electrical problem, and highly recommended that I not continue to drive the car (!) until the problem was diagnosed. After 3 days of diagnostics (!!), it turns out that the oxygen and cam angle sensors had to be replaced. Thank goodness my car is still under warrantee (~14,000 miles).
Warranty is wonderful, I only hope if I am going to have problems, I have them while the warranty still exhists.:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks Betty,

Actually, my service engine light never comes on. Just the SLIP light. It has to be malfunctioning traction control sensor but the dealer can't duplicate it and he says it is leaving no code. The anti-lock braking system also seems to acting up. When approaching a stop at low speeds on dry pavement you can feel the brake pedal pulsing rather hard like the ABS is engaging.

Mike

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Is My Light Broken

My Check Engine Light never comes on.

Is it broken?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Just Kidding

The comment was intended to get a laugh.

Can I fit the M45's 340 HP V8 in my Altima?

Great engine in the wrong car.

Lots of talk about the VQ, but neither the G35 coupe or the 350Z can match it.

Chevy and Ford would never let this happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MIL light on

I have a 2002 3.5 SE. My check engine light came on today for no apparent reason. I could not rev the car past 2,500 rpm. When I got home, I checked this post and went into the diag mode and got the error code.
It looks like it is 1102, though it was not easy to be sure of the first number. It definitely has those four digits though.

With the engine light on, the engine started a bit rough, but ran. When I cleared the light, the engine will now start but stalls within a few seconds.

I had an issue like this a while back, though not as bad. The car would not rev past 2500. The light was not on and the car drove fine after about 15 minutes. When I took it to the dealer, it turned out to be something very minor and I read on this forum that it was the engine computer blocking revs over 2500

So today, when this happened, I assumed the same (something minor with anoverreacting computer). Now my car will not run at all.
Any suggestions? It's Saturday night, I have no car and will probably have to tow it to the dealer on Monday!

ALso - where do I go to find out what my error code means??

·
Friends of ours...
1,348 Posts
Your car is running in "SAFE" or LIMP mode. It won't allow you to rev past 2500 to protect the engine.

Code 1102 is a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. This is a common problem with 2002's, most times happening when the owner has installed an aftermarket intake, or filter. You can try and reset the code, by using the same process you used to get the code. Just hold down the gas for 10 seconds after you enter the diagnostic mode. Then you 'might' be able to get into linp mode and drive it to the dealer.

It should covered under warranty, unless you've done something odd to the intake.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the help Ruben.

Is there a TSB on this? There might be, I don't think I've seen an updated list in a while.

I'll try to get the check engine light back on, but I'm not sure that will work. Hopefully the dealer has fixed this before and can do it quickly.

I haven't done anything aftermarket to the intakes, though I had planned to, so I should be fine on warranty.

·
Friends of ours...
1,348 Posts
Pretty sure there is a TSB out... They did replace the original MAF with a different unit on 2003 3.5s. If you search here or on maxima.org you'll find the part number posted someplace. That way you can tell if they replaced the unit with the better version.

·
Registered
50 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Im gonna go a lil off topic for a moment since I am one of those "Monkeys"
Yep ill agree that many times the light is on cause the ECU had a brain fart and that there is no problem there. My dealership will, at the customers request just clear the code for free and send them on their way. If the like doesnt come back on thats cool, if it does and for the same code we will diagnose it. What we dont do however is just clear the code and send the customer off to see if it comes back with out the customers premmsion. You see we would get bitched at more for shipping it after clearing a code and it reappears, then we would if we spend 3 hours trying to diag a problem that is not there. Here is the major difference though.. If we spend 3 hours trying to diag a problem that is not there, we do not charge the customer one cent, and we give them a free wash and vac for wasting there time.
I guess the dealers that you guys go to are dicks IMO. If I were you I wouldnt pay a cent if they dont find a problem and make them wash and vac my car. :D
Patrick. am glad to hear from youl.I have been looking for a nissan tech to answer a question for me. 97 nissan pickup 2.4L. check engine light flashes while driving, they are all long flashes, no short flashes. checked ecu and all I got was a misfire code. Can you help? extech

·
Registered
50 Posts
JKWright said:
No offense meant, PatScott. I don't believe that all Nissan technicians are monkeys. Since you take the time to post on a Nissan enthusiast forum, you probably take your job and your craft very seriously. That being said, I'm sure you'll agree if you've worked as a dealer technician for any length of time that the ratio of dain-bramaged dunderheads to meticulous, qualified master craftsmen is skewed just slightly toward the former at most Nissan dealers.

Wash and vacuum? Free? What the heck is that? My wife's Infiniti dealer does that sort of thing while providing croissants on a white linen napkin, but sadly her car has been so rock-solid reliable that she's only seen the inside of her dealership once. I, on the other hand, have become practically intimate with my Nissan dealer, and while I've been fortunate in that each time I've taken the care in for repairs the work has been done well and generally on time, each time I've gotten the car back I did a double-take to make sure the pewter Altima they gave me was in fact my car. Just about everything that could move, be adjusted, changed or modified was moved, adjusted, changed or modified. And the car was invariably dirtier and greasier than when I brought it in.

Nonetheless, I'll say this: If I've got the choice of getting my car monkeyed and returned waxed and vacuumed or repaired well and handed back to me grungy and with all the station presets changed to rap music, well, sign me up for the second one. Maybe I should just bring the car to you, PatScott. You sound like a good guy. ;)

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.
What pat did't say. Is when a tech spends three hours trying to diag a problem, he most likely does not get paid for it. (Unless he works at a darned good dealership.) You got to remember this. Every ecu has 30 to 50 inputs. that signals going into the ecu. and at least that many outputs, anyone of those will give you a problem.
tks extech

·
Tune it
504 Posts
Spec Codes

Holy SH## I was about to post the same thing for the Specs but I can't ever find how to make a new thread. Heres the info I got a while back for the specs.

THIS IS FOR 02-03 QR25DE, 5SPEED, 6 SPEED, AUTO
HOW TO GET CODES FROM ECU AT BOTTOM OF POST.

REASON...................................CODE

A/T 1ST GR FNCTN....................................0731
A/T 2ND GR FNCTN...................................0732
A/T 3RD GR FNCTN...................................0733
A/T 4TH GR FNCTN...................................0734
A/T TCC S/V FNCTN..................................0744
APP SEN 1/CIRC +5.................................0227
APP SEN 1/CIRC +5.................................0228
APP SEN 2/CIRC +5.................................1227
APP SENSOR +5.......................................1228
ASCD BRAKE SW......................................1572
ASCD SW. ................................................1564
ASCD VHL SPD SEN..................................1574
ATF TEMP SEN/CIRC.................................0710
BRAKE SW/CIRCUT...................................1805
CAN COMM CIRCUIT ................................1000
CAN COMM CIRCUIT.................................1001
CKP SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0335
CLOSED LOOP-B1....................................1148
CMP SEN/CIRC-B1....................................0340
CTP LEARNING.........................................1225
CTP LEARNING.........................................1226
CYL 1 MISFIRE.........................................0301
CYL 2 MISFIRE.........................................0302
CYL 3 MISFIRE.........................................0303
CYL 4 MISFIRE.........................................0304
ECM.........................................................0605
ECM BACK UP CIRCUIT............................1065
ECT SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0117
ECT SEN/CIRCUIT....................................0118
ECT SENSOR............................................0125
ENG OVER TEMP.......................................0217
ENG OVER TEMP.......................................1217
ENGINE SPEED SIG...................................0725
ETC ACTR.................................................1121
ETC FUNTION CIRC..................................1122
ETC MOT..................................................1128
ETC MOT PWR...........................................1124
ETC MOT PWR...........................................1126
EVAP GROSS LEAK....................................0455
EVAP PURG FLOW/MON............................0441
EVAP SMALL LEAK....................................0442
EVAP SYS PRES SEN.................................0452
EVAP SYS PRES SEN.................................0453
EVAP VERY SML LEAK...............................0456
EVAP VERY SML LEAK...............................1456
FTT SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0182
FTT SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0183
FTT SENSOR.............................................0181
FUEL LEVEL SEN SLOSH...........................0460
FUEL LEVEL SEN/CIRC.............................1464
FUEL LEVEL SENSOR................................0461
FEUL LEVEL SEN/CIRC.............................0462
FUEL LEVEL SEN/CIRC.............................0463
FUEL SYS-LEAN-B1...................................0171
FUEL SYS-RICH-B1...................................0172
H02S1(B1)...............................................0132
H02S1(B1)...............................................0133
H02S1(B1)...............................................0134
H02S1(B1)...............................................1143
H02S1(B1)...............................................1144
H02S1 HTR (B1).......................................0031
H02S1 HTR (B1).......................................0032
H02S2(B1)...............................................0138
H02S2(B1)...............................................0139
H02S2(B1)...............................................1146
H02S2(B1)...............................................1147
H02S2 HTR (B1).......................................0037
H02S2 HTR (B1).......................................0038
IAT SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0112
IAT SEN/CIRCUIT.....................................0113
IAT SENSOR.............................................0127
INT/V TIM CONT-B1..................................0011
INT/V TIM CONT-B1..................................1111
ISC SYSTEM.............................................0506
ISC SYSTEM.............................................0507
KNOCK SEN/CIRC-B1...............................0327
KNOCK SEN/CIRC-B1...............................0328
L/PRESS SOL/CIRC..................................0745
MAF SEN/CIRCUIT....................................0101
MAF SEN/CIRCUIT....................................0102
MAF SEN/CIRCUIT....................................0103
MAF SENSOR...........................................1102
MIL/CIRC.................................................0650
MULTI CYL MISFIRE..................................0300
NO DTC DETECTED/FURTHER TEST..........FLASHING
NO DTC (NO TROUBLE CODE)..................0000
O/R CLUTCH SOL/CIRC............................1760
P-N POS SW/CIRCUIT...............................1706
PNP SW/CIRC..........................................0705
PURG VOLUME CONT/V............................0444
PURG VOLUME CONT/V.............................0445
PURG VOLUME CONT/V.............................1444
SENSOR POWER/CIRC..............................1229
SFT SOL A/CIRC........................................0750
SFT SOL B/CIRC........................................0755
TCC SOLENOID/CIRC................................0740
THERMSTAT FNCTN...................................0128
TP SEN 1/CIRC.........................................0222
TP SEN 1/CIRC..........................................0223
TP SEN 2/CIRC.........................................1223
TP SEN 2/CIRC.........................................1224
TP SENSOR...............................................0221
TPV SEN/CIRC A/T....................................1705
TW CATALYST SYS-B1...............................0420
VC CUT/V BYPASS/V .................................1491
VC/V BYPASS/V.........................................1490
VEH SPD SEN/CIR AT................................0720
VEH SPEED SEN/CIRC..............................0500
VENT CONTROL VALVE..............................0447
VENT CONTROL VALVE..............................1446
VENT CONTROL VALVE..............................1448

This is how you reset the check engine light. No tools required!

In car ECM Diagnostics/ECM Reset procedure:

1) Sit in the driver's seat.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position and wait three seconds. (Do not start the car.)
3) Fully depress and release the accelerator pedal five times in less than five seconds.
4) Wait exactly seven seconds. Fully depress the accelerator pedal for ten seconds until the MIL light flashes.
5) Release the accelerator pedal and start counting flashes to obtain the four-digit trouble code.

Long flashes (0.6 seconds) indicate the first digit of the code; count the blinks one through nine and write down the first digit. (Ten blinks indicates a zero.)
The next three digits follow in turn in the same fashion except with faster blinks (0.3 second) and a 1.0-second pause between digits.

The ECM code repeats intself until you turn the ignition key to the OFF position, at which point the ECM resets itself to standard get-in-and-drive-the-car mode.
You can look up the trouble codes in the ESM/FSM; there's a bunch of them. In the ESM, refer to page EC-639.
Additionally, if you get four blinks of ten (0000), the ECM is indicating no malfunction.

You can clear the code (and the annoying MIL) by holding down the accelerator pedal for more than 10 seconds while in Diagnostic Test Mode II. When you release the pedal, the ECM erases the trouble code(s).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey. I post on occasion on the Altimas.net site. Does that make me a knucklehead? I would wager some would say otherwise.. Maybe wild willy for one?

61 - 80 of 169 Posts