Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, "240 are overrated" was not my comment. I love 240sx's although with the current population/craze of 240sx's ive been hearing from others that they are overrated. What do you think about this?

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Overrated? 240SX is all about potential. It's not that great of a car to begin with. It's not terrible, but it's not a sport compact that can compete with stronger RWD cars in the American market. It's handling is also nothing to shout about. The brakes are unremarkable, and most of them have an open differential from the factory.
But the 240SX is absolutely unique in that it is a perfect window to a world of opportunity that other cars cannot represent. With the 240SX, you have a slew of OE parts from other cars that fit perfectly. The options are incredible. Everything from Kouki tails, 180SX front ends, Silvia conversions, S15 projetors, Z32 brakes, VLSD, RB20DET, RB25DET, SR20DET, CA18DET... The options are endless. From a 240SX platform, you can create your own JDM custom work: a SIL80, a 180SX, a Silvia, a 240line, whatever. Others might tell you that the 240SX is special because it is a great drift car, it looks cool, there are lots of straight aftermarket parts for it, etc. But I feel that the 240SX is especially unique and expecially appealing because it is the window to an entire world of trans-model parts that allow you to create an endless variety of different combinations. It's the possibilities that make the car what it is.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bridrive55 said:
Overrated? 240SX is all about potential. It's not that great of a car to begin with. It's not terrible, but it's not a sport compact that can compete with stronger RWD cars in the American market. It's handling is also nothing to shout about. The brakes are unremarkable, and most of them have an open differential from the factory.
But the 240SX is absolutely unique in that it is a perfect window to a world of opportunity that other cars cannot represent. With the 240SX, you have a slew of OE parts from other cars that fit perfectly. The options are incredible. Everything from Kouki tails, 180SX front ends, Silvia conversions, S15 projetors, Z32 brakes, VLSD, RB20DET, RB25DET, SR20DET, CA18DET... The options are endless. From a 240SX platform, you can create your own JDM custom work: a SIL80, a 180SX, a Silvia, a 240line, whatever. Others might tell you that the 240SX is special because it is a great drift car, it looks cool, there are lots of straight aftermarket parts for it, etc. But I feel that the 240SX is especially unique and expecially appealing because it is the window to an entire world of trans-model parts that allow you to create an endless variety of different combinations. It's the possibilities that make the car what it is.
Im 16 and I got rid of my 89 240sx with MAJOR coolant problems that I got for $800( sold for $900). I was looking into either getting a 91-95 non-turbo mr2 or a s14 240sx.

Now we all know how awsome mr2's are, but the s14 seems a little more exiting for me right now for the fact that it is easier to drive and to work on than an mr2 (cramped engine bay in the rear), It also has more interior space.

The mr2 is harder to drive due to the pre 93 mr2 rear spec trail arms and horrible rain traction. Now the mr2 would be way hotter since it is not seen as often but that doesnt matter to me right now.

Now If I want to get an mr2 in the future than the s14 240 with a sr20det will have exellent resale value but for now im going with a s14 240sx not to mention that they have an awsome interior. :)

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
I think people are just hating, like how people hate on Civics. To be honest with you a WELL-BUILT civic is an awesome car, just think a small-displacement 4 cylinder car beating Mustangs in a quarter mile. Of course as people discovered these cars, they start ricing them our, making them "look sporty" and not enhancing performance. Then the jackasses gat a hold of them and everyone starts to stereotype; a few bad apples spoiling the bunch.

Personally, the car feels and drives like a sports car should, the only drawback is the lack of power and some other details. But fortunetly theres a strong aftermarket :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Overrated? Probably not. Stock, I can outrun my dad's car and he has a Saturn L300. I can pull some moves I couldn't do in my Corolla, although that was a good car. The 240SX is a discontinued model, and mine is a '92. Therefore you are bound to have things go wrong. I don't really mind my convertible version too much. It get me to work and all, and allows me to be the prick on the freeway. That said, Hey! Ho! Let's Go!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll tell you why i don't like 240's. I was a guy that was always on the honda civic platform. Then I finally realized that with the current project I was working on that I could either spend 3000 dollars for a motor swap or buy a sr20 powered car spend that same 3000 dollars and have a turbo'd car. So you weigh it out 15 second car or 13 second car?? So I went and baught a 95 200sx. The thing that urks me is all the time people come up to me and say thats front wheel drive? what are you going to do with that? these comments have always came from a 240 driver or a person looking for a 240 to buy. the 240 drivers in my area don't understand that the tuner world doesn't revolve around drifting!! there is only one 240 in this area that i know can even keep up with me but they think they are better because they can drift. woopty doo. so i guess i really don't hate 240's i just hate the people that drive them around here. i don't mean to offend anyone its just one opinion why people hate on 240's

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
200sx_guy said:
I'll tell you why i don't like 240's. I was a guy that was always on the honda civic platform. Then I finally realized that with the current project I was working on that I could either spend 3000 dollars for a motor swap or buy a sr20 powered car spend that same 3000 dollars and have a turbo'd car. So you weigh it out 15 second car or 13 second car?? So I went and baught a 95 200sx. The thing that urks me is all the time people come up to me and say thats front wheel drive? what are you going to do with that? these comments have always came from a 240 driver or a person looking for a 240 to buy. the 240 drivers in my area don't understand that the tuner world doesn't revolve around drifting!! there is only one 240 in this area that i know can even keep up with me but they think they are better because they can drift. woopty doo. so i guess i really don't hate 240's i just hate the people that drive them around here. i don't mean to offend anyone its just one opinion why people hate on 240's

well nice opinion, now here goes mine about most SE-R drivers that think they are all bad ass and think the KA sucks......well i use to have a 90 s13 and guess what? there was no B13 SE-R that could beat me in a drag, full race from point to point....or not even in skill driving.....i really dont hate any car.........mmm (just those crappy ugly ass cubes) and you dont see me crying about it......oh i get picked on becasuse i drive an OLD 92 s13 (yeah KADE) by the AWD fools, but i dont give a damm, let me tell you something....dont hate on 240's maybe deep inside you really want one... like they say......... a green parrot is green where ever it goes.

Love live NISSAN! and stop whining.

·
Registered
11 Posts
240SX's arent Overrated. Overrated would be a 6th Gen Civic Si. the nissan 240's potential for being a drag/autox/fast street car is SO high. The parts for these things are in huge quantity. Whoever told you that their overrated has probably never rode/learned about one... :thumbup:

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Yup, there's certainly something everyone can pick on. I don't even want to drift (have no interest, just not my taste). I make fun of civics, but its all just a playful rivarly. One guy at work (mind you its a web/mail-order aftermarket distributor) has a GSR that is just really quick (lots of suspension mods, sticky rubber, not a lot in the way of engine), another has a type-R, the thing is incredible. Would I take a type-R, absolutely! Would I take a classic SE-R, fo sho! And I love my 240, its a blast to drive, and its bone stock.

I think if you truly love cars, and you're an enthusist, then we are kindred spirits.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ive never rode in one but i like the 240 style. and as a matter of fact i rolled up one one today and we talked for awhile checkin each ithers car out. i havent rolled up on a asshole with a 240 yet. maybe someday ill own one fora project car :cheers:

·
Metal > Rap
668 Posts
This is my 3rd S13. same year everytime. I dont really hear alot of bad stuff from anybody b/c I live in the south(rednecks LOVE rwd). I definatly think that people hype up the cars waaaaaaaay to much.

·
KA24DET
1,000 Posts
Nismo14-180 said:
This is my 3rd S13. same year everytime. I dont really hear alot of bad stuff from anybody b/c I live in the south(rednecks LOVE rwd). I definatly think that people hype up the cars waaaaaaaay to much.
Everyone loves RWD.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The 240sx being overrated all depends on the crowd you're standing with. Like for example, where I live, there are like 4 240's, 2 of them being mine, and one of the others being owned by an old woman. So when someone sees the lightweight, rwd platform they really like it. I've taken some of my friends for rides in it, and they all love it more than I do, they overrate it because it's rare around here. Now if you're somewhere with a lot of 240 owners, then you'd get the truth. You can't take the opinions of anyone else to heart about your car. The only people that really know what they're talkin' about are the ones that own or have owned one, other than that, they just don't know...

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Well, in the two weeks of owning mine, I get looks and comments on it, and its bone stock! I took it to the coin-op car wash, and a guy with an orange-sicle civic (bright orange paint outside/white interior). He was selling his car, but as I was finishing up, he was like, "hey, cool car." I guess more people are noticing with the popularity of drifting.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wouldn't give all the credit to drifting. The drifting scene is making the car slightly more popular, but all credit can't go to that, I think people are just finally realizeing that there is a nice platform w/ a 2.4L rwd setup. A lot better than the 1.6L fwd civics that so many people drive around in...
And people also really like the body styling of the 240sx, it's "long and low" is what I've been told by people who admire mine (also bone stock).

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
240luvr said:
I wouldn't give all the credit to drifting. The drifting scene is making the car slightly more popular, but all credit can't go to that, I think people are just finally realizeing that there is a nice platform w/ a 2.4L rwd setup. A lot better than the 1.6L fwd civics that so many people drive around in...
And people also really like the body styling of the 240sx, it's "long and low" is what I've been told by people who admire mine (also bone stock).
Well out here in So Cali it seems EVERYONE wants to drift, and since Corolla GTSs are fairly rare, the 240 becomes the hot ticket (particularily the S13, since their cheaper, there's more of them, and S14s for sale always seem to be automatics).

·
Metal > Rap
668 Posts
240luvr said:
The 240sx being overrated all depends on the crowd you're standing with. Like for example, where I live, there are like 4 240's, 2 of them being mine, and one of the others being owned by an old woman. So when someone sees the lightweight, rwd platform they really like it. I've taken some of my friends for rides in it, and they all love it more than I do, they overrate it because it's rare around here. Now if you're somewhere with a lot of 240 owners, then you'd get the truth. You can't take the opinions of anyone else to heart about your car. The only people that really know what they're talkin' about are the ones that own or have owned one, other than that, they just don't know...
Oh, so true so true. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts