Nissan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbags went POOF, and now I need to replace them so I got 2 question.
Question 1.
Does anyone know how to install them, has anyone done this before, are there instructions etc?

Question2.
Will aribags from 98-UP NISSAN SENTRA,200SX fit my 1996 200sx?

Thx guys

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
200SXBLK said:
My airbags went POOF, and now I need to replace them so I got 2 question.
Question 1.
Does anyone know how to install them, has anyone done this before, are there instructions etc?

Question2.
Will aribags from 98-UP NISSAN SENTRA,200SX fit my 1996 200sx?

Thx guys
You will need a tamper T40N torx bit to remove them. There is 4 bolts holding the passenger side in place. The driver side can be accessed by removing the trim panels on the side of the steering wheel.

The 98 bags should fit just fine, you can confirm part #'s between years with Nissan to make sure.

You can also download the FSM at the top of this forum to get more detailed instructions.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Also, make damn sure you don't have any static on you when handling the new ones. All it takes is a static discharge to set them off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
taking them out

I would like to take out the passenger side airbag in my 95 sentre XE because that is a nice size compartment for electronics maybe a PS2 but something can definitly fit there

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
no, it's not T40N, it's T50H Safety Torx, the only place I was able to find one was at Napa auto. They hold the drivers and passenger's airbags in place.

The Airbag control unit also has to be replaced as it only will work once, it is behind the e-brake lever. It's held down by odd-shaped nuts, but a 10mm socket should remove it fine.

You also need to replace the sensor that caused the airbags to blow up.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Ninety-Nine SE-L said:
no, it's not T40N, it's T50H Safety Torx, the only place I was able to find one was at Napa auto. They hold the drivers and passenger's airbags in place.

The Airbag control unit also has to be replaced as it only will work once, it is behind the e-brake lever. It's held down by odd-shaped nuts, but a 10mm socket should remove it fine.

You also need to replace the sensor that caused the airbags to blow up.
Your right, my bad on the size...

·
Registered
49 Posts
wes said:
You will need a tamper T40N torx bit to remove them. There is 4 bolts holding the passenger side in place. The driver side can be accessed by removing the trim panels on the side of the steering wheel.

The 98 bags should fit just fine, you can confirm part #'s between years with Nissan to make sure.

You can also download the FSM at the top of this forum to get more detailed instructions.

the airbag computer is different on some of the models. The 95-97 computers are the same. And the 98-99 computer is the same, but the plugin is differnent between 97 and 98. I change them out my 96 sentra twice, and I bought a 98 airbag comp and had to take it back since the plugin is different.

Don't worry the senor is built in the airbag computer. So you just have to change the airbags and the computer, and maybe the clock spring behind the driver airbag if it was damaged by the airbag explosion.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
crazy101101 said:
the airbag computer is different on some of the models. The 95-97 computers are the same. And the 98-99 computer is the same, but the plugin is differnent between 97 and 98. I change them out my 96 sentra twice, and I bought a 98 airbag comp and had to take it back since the plugin is different.

Don't worry the senor is built in the airbag computer. So you just have to change the airbags and the computer, and maybe the clock spring behind the driver airbag if it was damaged by the airbag explosion.
Good to know. One question, the computer was different but were the plug in;s at the air-bag different as well? One way to confirm woul dbe to cross reference part #'s through the dealership.

·
Registered
49 Posts
wes said:
Good to know. One question, the computer was different but were the plug in;s at the air-bag different as well? One way to confirm woul dbe to cross reference part #'s through the dealership.
Im not too sure on the air bag plugin's. I want to say they are different as well. Just to be safe, just replace them with a set from the 95-97 sentra/200sx.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts