Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally making some progress on one of my projects. Got my intake parts back today and finally got a chance to fit it on the car and connect all the plumbing. Everything is neat and tight so far. Only problem I had was a little bit of interference with the hood, so I cut out the rear center brace. No big deal as I am planning on venting my hood anyways. Didn't get to drive it yet, but sounds very cool. will get some better pictures once I get it all pretty'd up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
nice, what is the pipe diameter you used? and is that pipe aluminum?

·
Proud owner of a GA16i
508 Posts
awesome, looks great. Is that 3" tubing? Also, doen't the crankcase ventilation have to be filtered? Looks like the line goes straight into the intake.

·
sunny/ca18det swap soon
359 Posts
man that really looks good you should make some more any sell them and if you make sure you make some for the e16i :fluffy: or will the ga16i fit?

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
Awsome !! very nice piece and well done too.. no sharp corner should work very good !!

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Galimba1 said:
awesome, looks great. Is that 3" tubing? Also, doen't the crankcase ventilation have to be filtered? Looks like the line goes straight into the intake.
Thanks, it is all made out of aluminum and it is 3" pipe. That thing actually started out as an Ebay special from a civic. I did not do all of the machining and welding as i do not have access to all of the equipment. I found a local machine shop that was willing to work with me pretty much. i actually changed it a couple of times before it was all done because of the plumbing. All of the hoses are from Napa, they are off the shelf brebent 90 degree heater hoses, and the coupler is an actual Gates turbo coupler.

I don't really think filtering the PCV matters much. have you ever seen the stock (filter ) ? looks like a 1 inch by 1 inch piece of cotton. I was reading about it on the Ga16DE page and i think they pretty much said that it will not hurt anything that way. If she starts taking in too much oil, I'll just add a catch tank. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
You know that is probably the most beautiful customization I have ever seen. Make me one as a cold air intake setup, name a price, and Ill send you the money lol. Seriously. I did it another way a guy had on cardomain. I saw yours on there too and his is no comparison to yours. That is one hell of a way to make some money.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car seems very happy with the new intake. I was a little worried about idling, but everything is fine. The car runs nice and smooth and sounds great. :thumbup:

I may still make it into a cold air intake, but it will be a little bit of a challenge to do it right. The right way would be to run your filter down under the battery somewhere. The problem comes in trying to pass a 3 inch pipe between the battery and motor. I might look into relocating the battery. Right now i am working on a new strut tower brace to clear the intake.

:cheers:

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bII said:
YOu should make a scoop on the hood. ;)
I am currently looking into a way to venilate the underhood area now, just haven't found anything that I like 100%. At the very least, I am going to install a vent at the rear section of the center of the hood. I also would like to have something to let more in at the front ? I just don't want anything that looks like I stuck it on there .

One interesting thing about this intake. Yesterday was the first time i drove the car to work (about 45 minute drive) with the intake on there. When i got home and pulled the car in the garage, i immediately opened the hood to check out the intake and to my surprise it was barely even luke warm. Even down to the mounting flange on the TBI. I really expected to find a bit more heat there, but for whatever reason there was not ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
24 Posts
You know what I thought might look nice and simple on a b12 sentra would be to take the hood vents off a 280zx or something like that and put them on there. Small, simple, and they would look nice I think. And they would do a lot for that smaller engine bay. There would be small room for error since it would be easy to trace the measurements on the hood before cutting.Plus the way YOUR intake sits, the one that sits on the driver side of a 280zx would give more air into it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
my idea for a hood scoop or inlet is to cut the hood like a NACA duct, or mold a NACA duct into the hood, and somehow mate it to the air filter, this way the scoop is sunk in the hood and not above the hood looking obnoxious. I was thinking about using the stock air filter box and cuting out the front or making holes in it that the duct would mate to using some kind of rubber or similiar, this way you get outside air directly into the filter and from what I've read the shape of the NACA ducts are very good at channeling air thru them. Just an idea.
This site
http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=ducting has a few interesting products to route air where you want it including the NACA duct and under bumper or headlight mount ducts, they all except a 3" diameter hose under/behind them to run to where ever you need the air to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah I know what you mean about the external scoops. Most of them look dumb anyways. The b12 is more "boxy" and the only scoops you can really find are more rounded. Im going to end up putting those 280zx vents on my hood and converting my c/a intake into a short ram. Then one day I might have the money for someone to make me a custom hood.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
astream, did you mount the flange to 2 or 3 of the bolts that hold the black part of the TB down? I was thinking about the GA16i TB today and couldn't remember if the studs for the air box top were inside or outside the TB opening, so I looked at some pics I took of mine and than checked out your pics. What model honda was that pipe designed for origianlly?

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used all 3 bolts to hold it down. just had to get slightly longer bolts to compensate for the thickness of the aluminum.

That pipe was originally designed for an 01-04 civic EX I believe. I actually cut the one end off and added the coupler because it had the right angle i needed, but was facing the wrong way. Also the TBI side was not a true 90 degree bend as i intially thought, so I had to recut it to make it such so it ran level across the motor. Also the Honda intake only comes with 1 plumbing fitting, and a hole with a grommet in it. i had 2 pipes added to the front side, and vacuum fitting weldedin that hole. all of the original plumbing is in tact and the car seems to like it just fine. Have been driving it daily now for over a week. :thumbup:

One other note of concern for anyone attempting to build an intake for their TBI (check you overall height) I got lucky. Mine clears perfectly after I trimmed away the center hood brace.

·
Registered
43 Posts
the civic EX 01-04 intake was the best option?? or you think that I can use any intake? do you remember how much I need to cut in the Tbi area

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
CHEPE B12 said:
the civic EX 01-04 intake was the best option?? or you think that I can use any intake? do you remember how much I need to cut in the Tbi area
To be honest with you, i got lucky. The intake looked like it had all the bends I needed, so I took a chance. You would probably be just as well off to go on Ebay and find yourself a 3" piece of aluminum tubing with a 90 degree bend in it and start from there. That Honda intake ended up being cut in 2 places, and I still had to make the TBI mounting plate. I just don't want anybody to think a civic intake is an easy way out. I went that route because it was cheap and if it didn't work, i wasn't out a bunch of cash. :)

I am not sure what my overall height is from the TBI is, but man it ended up being close to the hood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As to the hood vent, have you ever looked at Fiero/Z34 Hood louvers?

That would work great and look tits.

·
B12 Enthusiast
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joro Corona said:
As to the hood vent, have you ever looked at Fiero/Z34 Hood louvers?

That would work great and look tits.
I am not familiar with the Fiero vents, but i'll look for them to see what you are talking about. :thumbup:

I am also looking into possibly using one from a turbo new yorker, I think it was ? they are flush mount and a decent size.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts