Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we were on a small trip out of town and lost brakes. i checked fluid and it was low. so i added some, but lost it and pressure again.

Got home- VERY dangerously. Bad curves, like 20 and 30mph downhills, and pouring rain!

Checked out underneath and the valve on the brake line was spraying. Turns out it was loose. so no big deal, just titghtened it. No more loss of brake fluid, but no pressure either.

I am hoping it's just air in the line. So- do i take it to a local guy and have them bleed them for - what $70 or so? or................have Nissan come tow my truck for 2 hours to nearest auth repair, and i pay the diffeerence on the tow truck- which may be $100 or bit more?:wtf:

i could bleed them, but don't have 4 jack stands, and dry place to work under for hour or so. rain is on !

any way- the nissan warranty seems great and fine, just inconvenient. probably will cancel the warranty today. i like the idea of auth. nissan repair, but too far away. will probably look for other warranty plan that i can choose any repair- i.e. local.

any advice on the warranty- or brakes for that matter?

thanks

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Wow, that's f#ckin scary.

You can bleed the brake yourself by asking a neighbour to give you a hand for 5 minutes.

All your neighbour has to do is pump the brakes about 5 times and tell him to hold the pedal down.

Then you crack the screw open and let all the air out till you see fluid only coming out. Do it again and go on to the next brake and repeat the same process. Be sure you have enough brake fluid in a bottle and in the reservoir.

But I'm sure others here will tell you to take it to a mechanic shop as brakes mean life or death. The loose screw does seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, wound up doing it yesterday morning. pretty easy. my concern was having to do all 4 up on 4 jack stands because i only have 2. but i was told if front- it is not necessary to do all 4. i hope thats true :confused:

seems to work now.

but yeah- no brakes is totally f$%kin scary! esp on hardcore windy roads!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I know this is a semi old topic, but just for the safety, I want to bring something up.

Any time the fuild goes below the min mark, you should bleed all the brakes. What happens is the mastery cyinder will start sucking air into the lines as you use the brakes. Its not the worst thing, it won't be a lot of air unless there was another leak. somewhere else.

On the 92 pathfinder I have, the order was the master cylinder (if it had), then a part in the middle of the vehicle on the right frame rail (it was a little different than the Haynes book I had said, but it worked for me), then you start at the right rear, left rear, left front and finally right front.

As you probably know, the car can be on the ground to bleed the brakes (just use the parking brake or put a stopper in front of the tire(s).

If you have to change a part for the brakes, then you know need that one tire off the ground to do it, so your two stands are more than enough.

I don't care about someone doing their own work, I just like it done safely. I even just changed the master cylinder, and when I was bleeding the brakes, the bleeder valve on the right rear snapped off, got the new part, and it leaked (just my luck). We did get the leak to stop we think, but I wasn't going to trust the part, so sent it back and got a new one, put that on, bleed the brakes and they were as good as new. I'm actually only 21 years old, I did this on my own, no guidance, and only had the Haynes book to work off of (and also youtube when it came to the drum brakes). I did take a long time for this (especially when the part went bad and drum brakes are really new to me, I understand disk brakes better). Really this last part was to just show you that its fine if someone does their own work, as long as they do it properly and safely.

I really did just want to say to bleed all the brakes, possibly even flush the entire system (when doing the brakes, there was like this coffee with milk color stuff coming out, and yea, who knows what it really was, and good thing it is out of the entire system know). You may run into the problem I did, the bleeder valve was seized (i tried with vice grips later when the part was off and it wouldn't budge) but the new part was like $25 and its money well spent I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts