Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 2001 pathfinder LE a/c decided to start blowing warm air only, I select auto at the dash panel, and the freon charge is definetly full, I can hear the compresser engage,Is it possible the compressor itself is hooped?? Iany ideas would be greatly appreciated, before I actually have to book it in at the dealer...............thx inadvance to all!!:confused:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi all, my 2001 pathfinder LE a/c decided to start blowing warm air only, I select auto at the dash panel, and the freon charge is definetly full, I can hear the compresser engage,Is it possible the compressor itself is hooped?? Iany ideas would be greatly appreciated, before I actually have to book it in at the dealer...............thx inadvance to all!!:confused:
If the compressor engages, it means it still has freon? I think you're out of freon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
In my 98SE it's exactly the same thing, except if I turn off the A/C button and wait for 20 seconds and then press it back on, it will start blowing frezing air. I sometimes have to do this a couple of times, but it works normally eventualy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i live in south florida and at this time of the year if your a/c is not propery charged it will be ineffective. your compressor might still start and run but the charge could be low or high, did you buy a recharge kit from the auto parts store? with the new 134a refridgerant the charge needs to be accurate. most service stations will check the pressures for little or no cost.
i hope its not a bad component, its never a cheap fix........................

Have a nice day
Hwystar1

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nissan AC Designed 2Cutoff ; Save Block when too Hot

Has anyone else also heard of the theory that Nissan engineers design the AC to cut off to save the block from overheating the engine and more cerious breakdowns (rings) ????

BTW, my Nissan's AC cuts off during long trips where the car has been working hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know there is an overtemp sensor in the AC system..atleast on my 87 there is. I just dropped it off this morning for AC service and the tech said the AC had a bad compressor...and some sort of blockage as he was getting a vacuum on the side that should not have any vacuum...anyway he said this was causing the sensor to temp out and shut off the AC.
basically mine was doing similar as yours...run cold for a few...then start blowing warm...after a while start cold again. It was the temp sensor kicking it off due to a blockage?
Scott

·
My Lil' Red Wagon
163 Posts
i found this thread during a search, so i thought i would knock the dust off of it because i need to know.....

the temp sensor your talking about is the same switch any compressor has, it shuts off power to the compressor when the compressor hits a certain temp until it cools down....

i just had an AC guy tell me about orifice tubes...most AC systems, auto and home, have these things in them which are kinda like filters and they get clogged..he says they are under a dollar if you can find them...i just got off the phone with a nissan dealer, and he couldnt find one listed for my 87, but he mentioned an expansion valve that also gets clogged...it priced at 59 bucks....call your nissan parts guy and find out what your system has, they should know what to look for.....it could save you some cash at the ac service station if you have the part you need on hand..

does my 87 have orifice tubes, or just an exspansion valve???does anyone know anything about expansion valves?? my AC guy said my system is full, and everything else is working fine, i just need to get the clog out so the freon can move....i could get my ac back on track and only be out the part i have to buy, free freon is awesome!!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
This may not be relevant, but my Path was blowing hot air as well. Thought it just needed recharging. Took it to local mechanic for their $69.99 A/C special, they charged it then found a leak in the condensor then charged to remove the freon. I was totally impressed with the service--not. Anyway, I have since replaced the A/C condensor (they only wanted $980-Nissan wanted $560), A/C drier and O-rings. Still need to get it charged/tested to see if my fix was an actual fix.... And no, I am not going back to the local yocal. Glad I found this site as after that experience I am really trying to find the time to do repairs myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts