Nissan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the best location of aftermarket guages in my 89 Nissan Sentra? I am debating on whether I should put them on my dash or under the glove box. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm going for in the dash above the glove box, it looked good in my nissan pickup should look good in the sentra, if you want a pic, e-mail me

·
Viva el iPod
1,232 Posts
Biscuit said:
Where is the best location of aftermarket guages in my 89 Nissan Sentra? I am debating on whether I should put them on my dash or under the glove box. Any suggestions?
If you don't mind putting holes in the dash, that would be a good spot. You could also buy a gauge pod like this and put it on that little shallow spot in the middle of the top of the dash (secure it with screws or 2x sided tape).

You can get creative and put them on the hood and mount them in waterproof gauge pods. This would get you the best view, but will take the most work + money.

·
NISSAN SLAP NUTS
1,051 Posts
Well ,

My 2 cents would be put them in your line of sight.
Well your still looking down the road and take a quick glance. You wouldn't want to spend to much time straying from the task at hand..(keeping out of I.E. ditchs,etc.)

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
i think the critical units should be mounted near the eye... i would mount any air temp gauge or boost there... but here's 2 way i mounted mine.

on the dash is the boost gauge.. could probably tweek up a A pillsar from a Civic or something that has similar A pillar
ftp://[email protected]/steering.JPG

on the passenger side... can be hard to do but press-fit is COOL !! lol :p
ftp://[email protected]/indashguage.JPG

also make sure you do some centering hole first when doing this or beware of slippling !!! (just like i did in the picture...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
personally i prefer them on the side pillar mate

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only thing I am going to be monitoring is oil pressure, water temp, and voltage. I need to get me a water temp guage because the one on my dash is broken, even though I put in a new water temp sensor. It only gets up a little above cold and thats it. I know it gets hotter. I am only going to be glancing at them when I sence something is wrong.

My concern is that if I mount them on the dash, I am going to end up taking the dash out and running the wires through or either rigging up something to stick the wires through. Ill just have to go out there and look at it.

I havent found any guage pods that will go on my pillar. Ill just have to go out to the car and do some thinking.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are those APEXI screen type guages I have been seeing around. Somebody give me some info on them please.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'd like to find a set that would work on the a-pillar. Wireing would be a snap. Some one in here mounted a digital volt guage in place of their dummy light. Think it was minuterice.
Your temp gauge may not work due to the voltage regulator on the back of your cluster. Does your gas guage read correctly?

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything else reads correctly except for the water temp. I was going to get another temp guage anyway so it doesnt really matter to me. As long as the temp sensor isnt causing the radiator fans to work improperly, Im fine.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
theres an A-pillar 3 gauge pod available for N13 pulsars and the NX1600 and 2000's.......i dunno if that'll tweak for the sentra or not.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
minute rice sentra said:
do you have a link for the N13 pod?
i wish i did...i'll waste a few hours today to find it again. I know i have the link on my computer back home but if i asked my dad to find it he'd surely get lost in the mile long favorites list.

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the pillar today. It would be a GREAT place to put guages. If I could only get the right stuff. I could probably find/make some brackets to go on there. Only drawback would be the wires showing. If I can find a pic I would show yall what im talking about. Also if I didnt say before, I am going to be running all electronic guages. Also digital guages dont appeal to me much.

I wish there was a system where you could read your oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, outside temp, rpms, boost, etc etc etc all on a small screen. Sounds like something that would cost a fortune.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Biscuit said:
I looked at the pillar today. It would be a GREAT place to put guages. If I could only get the right stuff. I could probably find/make some brackets to go on there. Only drawback would be the wires showing.
Run the wires behind the pillar cover

Biscuit said:
I wish there was a system where you could read your oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, outside temp, rpms, boost, etc etc etc all on a small screen. Sounds like something that would cost a fortune.
about $695.95 for a 21 function panel thats 4" tall, 10.2" wide, 2.125" thick

·
M-Unit Racing
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice setup there clunky. I was thinking about doin somethin like that but I like to put stuff in that little hole like my cell and money.

Now I dont have 700 dollars to spend on guages. I would rather get me a competition sound system. Does anybody have any links to where I can get the brackets to mount guages on the pillar? I already know if I try to search it I will be on here for 2 days. Im just lookin for links that yall can think of on the top of yur head. I also seen a universal pillar mount guage pod in the JC Whitney catalog. Should I get that and try to cut and mold it to my pillar?

·
E15ET Owner
401 Posts
Ebay is a wonderful place for cheap gauges and such. i got those and a boost gauge with all required mounting equipment for $36 shipped. all new and all the pressure/temp. senders were included.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts