Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
cheese
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one had a problem after replacing stock headlight bulbs with after market? my girlfriend has a 00 gxe and the drivers side headlight went out so i replaced both, now the passenger light keeps turning off, i've checked the wires, everthing is where it's supposed to be, what might the problem be? should i change the headlights again?
thanks rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
What kind of bulbs are you using? Cheap aftermarket bulbs tend to blow out quickly and can also burn your headlight harnesses. I have used Silerstars since I got the car a year and a half ago and they are still working fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
YELLOWV said:
What kind of bulbs are you using? Cheap aftermarket bulbs tend to blow out quickly and can also burn your headlight harnesses. I have used Silerstars since I got the car a year and a half ago and they are still working fine.
Burning harnesses is often caused by putting in the wrong bulb. they will look the same, but the wattage is different. I learned this when I almost burned up the harness in my motorcycle. A short drive around the block and it was smoking.. but no major damage was done. The plug was melted, but still fit on the terminals of the bulb. I changed to the right wattage of bulb and have had no problems.
 

·
cheese
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the bulbs are made by nokya (9007) 80/100w
since i posted this the lights have been fine, until today the drivers light went out, so i unsrewed thae cap and was about to unplug the light and it turned on( everything was tight before i tried to remove) it stayed on, i have no idea what goin on with the lights.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
that wattage is too high. you're melting the harnesses.
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
stock wattage. get sylvania silverstars.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
NickZac said:
Piaa 9007 Xtreme White Plus 55/65w aren't bad either
God F---in d--nit. Everytime I talk about a product I am satisfied with it breaks. I mention how I liked my Solo-Baric L7 and KABLEWY!!!!!! I mention how I like my PIAA's which I have had for 6 months. Not 24 hours after my F---ING post the F---ERS blow. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :givebeer: ...sorry, I am expressing my feelings. It won't happen again. I promise. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Whoops.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
Now I can be happy again. PIAAs have a 12 month warranty. I took em to the place I got em and they not only gave me one, but two new PIAAs. Whatever lights you put in a car, get it from an authroized dealer who you can drive to if you have a problem. Audio Connection in Parkville, MD helped me out and got me on the road with 2 new bulbs in all of 5 minutes. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
NickZac said:
Now I can be happy again. PIAAs have a 12 month warranty. I took em to the place I got em and they not only gave me one, but two new PIAAs. Whatever lights you put in a car, get it from an authroized dealer who you can drive to if you have a problem. Audio Connection in Parkville, MD helped me out and got me on the road with 2 new bulbs in all of 5 minutes. :thumbup:

Nokya also sells aftermarket harneses. They cost about $10 bucks each. These harneses will not melt using their bulbs. Same thing happend to me. Now I have pretty new purple nokya headlights. oh yeah baby!!!

toMmy fiZo :fluffy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Often times, the filament in the bulb will break loose at one end and bumping it will cause it to make contact again..but rest assured that it's going to happen again. I've had this happen on cars and motorcycles.

tommyfizo said:
Nokya also sells aftermarket harneses. They cost about $10 bucks each. These harneses will not melt using their bulbs. Same thing happend to me. Now I have pretty new purple nokya headlights. oh yeah baby!!!
toMmy fiZo :fluffy:
Yeah, but there's a problem with that. If the harnesses on your car weren't able to handle the higher powered bulbs, then the wires to them likely weren't either. It's not going to be pretty if your car goes up in flames over a set of $10 purple headlights. Modding a car is fine, but safety shouldn't be forgotten.
 

·
cheese
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i never changed them my girl said don't worry about it, so gues what the socket is burned, so shall i go aftermarket(autozone) or factory, my chioce is factory but i want to know what anyone else thinks.

thanks rob
 

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
Joined
·
8,328 Posts
thats what u get for listening to your girl and not us. I told you they'd melt.

now you need to either get Nokya full harnesses or OEM ones. if you get the nokya harnesses, you can run higher wattage bulbs..........if you get the OEM ones, you NEED to go back to stock wattage in the form of either PIAAs or sylvania silverstars.
 

·
Not Anymore.
Joined
·
5,014 Posts
chimmike said:
thats what u get for listening to your girl and not us. I told you they'd melt.
lol.

65/55 watt by either piaa or sylvania man. 80/100 is why you killed it.
 

·
cheese
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chimmike said:
thats what u get for listening to your girl and not us. I told you they'd melt.

now you need to either get Nokya full harnesses or OEM ones. if you get the nokya harnesses, you can run higher wattage bulbs..........if you get the OEM ones, you NEED to go back to stock wattage in the form of either PIAAs or sylvania silverstars.
i know i shoud have listened, its true they melted pretty damn good, if i had a cam i would post pics, but i don't own one. well we went to auto zone and picked up the sockets sets for about $9.00 and i bought some sylvania silverstars just like ya'll said. next time i will listen to everyone but her
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top