Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Pathfinder
I also replaced spark plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor and water pump. I took it for a test drive and the car stumbled and didnt have the acceleration it had before replacing all of these parts. The mechanic adjusted the timing and it ran better, but still didnt run as before. A day after he adjusted the timing the check engine light came on with a P0300 code. I haven't had this problem before replacing the timing belt. Is it possible that he misplaced the timing belt, like he missed one or two teeth on one of the crankshaft gears?
I heard somebody had the same problem and he said that after fixing the timing belt issue, the codes never came back again.
Can somebody tell me if my timing belt is the one causing trouble..

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is possible that the mechanic didn't align the timing belt correctly. It ran fine before the mechanic worked on it and politely remind him of this.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It is possible that the mechanic didn't align the timing belt correctly. It ran fine before the mechanic worked on it and politely remind him of this.
Unfortunately, the mechanic will more than likely look at misalignment last as checking it will be time consuming.

·
Registered
2 Posts
timing belt problems

I had similar problems when I had my Toyota Supra's timing belt installed.
It drove fine for about a week, then it seemed to lose power, and the timing felt off.
I took it back to the repair shop, and they said that the belt had slipped. They fixed it again, and then like before it started to slip.
I found out after taking it to another shop, that the original mechanic had forgot to put the moonshaped woodruff key on the crankshaft timing belt gear.
After that incident, I tried to do as much of my repairs myself.
FYI.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had similar problems when I had my Toyota Supra's timing belt installed.
It drove fine for about a week, then it seemed to lose power, and the timing felt off.
I took it back to the repair shop, and they said that the belt had slipped. They fixed it again, and then like before it started to slip.
I found out after taking it to another shop, that the original mechanic had forgot to put the moonshaped woodruff key on the crankshaft timing belt gear.
After that incident, I tried to do as much of my repairs myself.
FYI.
It may be possible, the timing belt is incorrect. Some Pathfinders were unknowningly installed rounded tooth belts instead of squared tooths. That, in both cases of the Pathfinder and Supra, could have been the problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I took it again to the mechanic, and he tested it in front of me. He thought that a spark plug was cracked, we replaced it but with no luck. He said he was kinda busy this week, but that he would try to find what the problem was. I even offered him the 1997 Pathfinder shop manual I have, but he said he had one of his own, so...

I still think the T belt is the problem, and he might find that out after exhausting all possibilities. Maybe is a good time to find another mechanic, one that appreciates other peoples comments even if they're not mechanics themselves.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have owned 2 Pathfinders with 3.3 engine ('97) ('00). I have had timing belts replaced in both trucks, and both times I had to bring it back because the timing belt was put in incorrectly. I had different mechanics for each truck. Sometimes if the timing is not set correctly it can trip codes. However, my truck did not trip codes it just ran incorrectly. Does the code say specifically what is misfiring? I know the code (multi cylinder misfire), But does it say specifically where? Are you sure that he replaced the infamous 6th plug in the back of the motor. If you've never done one of these before it can take some time, and I can see an untrust-worthy mechanic letting it go without replacing. Or he damaged the platnum tip possibly changing the gap upon installation. The plug thing is just speculation, I'm not trying to freak you out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts