Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to thank Ed and Jeff at Engineered Performance (http://www.engineered.net/). They are an excellent group to work with in Atlanta.

Moving on - the AEM intake picked up an easy 6hp (almost 7hp) and 5lb/ft of torque at the wheels. Certainly well worth the $200 and short install time. How greatly this differs from the Hotshot CAI and Place Racing CAI is unknown to me. If someone has results from those products, please post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you mean that you paid $200 for the AEM intake? If so, where did you get it. The cheapest that I've found the AEM has been like $300.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked it up a while ago from a vendor on Groupbuycenter.com..
I dont recall who it was.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very impressive numbers. I'll be posting the numbers for the low-port application as soon as I install it and take it to a dyno. I think the next SoCal SERCA dyno day will be in July. So i'll have to wait till then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
what else do you have on your car? I have Stillen Header (YUK), GReddy exhasut and 19* timing with a STOCK AIRBOX!!! I'm sure the AEM will make a nice difference in power once it goes on.....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thats it? I thought the AEM was supposed to give MORE than a HS/PR? Mr. Kojima dynoed an se-r w/ a HS CAI and noticed an 8hp gain at 5500rpms and then an added 3 at peak. Do you have any other mods to go along with this?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My SER has a 3rd Gen HS Header, 2.5" exhaust, S3 cams and a LW flywheel - and 183K miles! The Flywheel makes little difference in 4th gear - 1st and 2nd are where the improvement is felt most. At 144 to the wheels, I think the car is where it should be with the mods, thats around 170hp at the crank.

I dont see how an intake can swing 11hp on a NA SR20. Are those #'s correct.

·
0 Posts
Numbers

I know that SunnyJ's numbers are very typical for the mods that he listed. I can back it up that mine hits around 130-132whp with my mods. Mine desperately needs a header & exhaust to round out the picture. Add to that the fact that my car keeps up pretty well with a bolt-on enriched B16-hybrid Civic owned by best bud. He can't leave me until he hits VTEC in 3rd gear, but then POOF! he's gone.

Desperately seeking 150whp - BRING ON THE CAMS!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am not Mike so I can't say that I am 100% sure those numbers are correct. Just what goes around on the sr20deforum. I am intrigued to know how you accomplished such a high horsepower with just a short ram and pulleys. Isn't the stock hp rating like 120 on our engine?

·
0 Posts
HP

Stock rating on my 96 SR20DE was 140hp/132lb-ft at the flywheel, per Nissan. Stock, from what I've seen, about 120hp to the ground - at least the dyno runs I've seen on stockers.

While I haven't dyno'd mine in quite a while, how else can I keep up with a JDM B16A (170hp stock) with a full compliment of bolt-ons - even up into 3rd gear?

Maybe next Dyno Day here in ATL I'll have to make sure I can get out there and get some fresh numbers.

Don't flame - maybe I'm wrong...the butt dyno says it's pretty fast :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually a stock B14 runs in from 110hp to 117hp at the wheels. I've seen huge differences in stock B14s. Also, the OBDII cars are less responsive to mods than the B13 series. I have had the opportunity to own a 96 SER with the same mods as my 92 SER - the 92 is much faster -
I'm not trying to discount the B14s - you can thank our government.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not flaming you. It just sounds sketchy. I know you are probably right, and my friend has B16a motor in his integra. I lose to him all the time...and I have a couple more mods than you. Don't start on the driver bit. I am a good enough driver, and he is about the same level as me. My intention wasn't to be rude, I am curious. And I guess we should all complain to the government for trying to save the earth :(. Not that I'm a tree hugger or anything of the sort. :D

·
0 Posts
Sunny J Reg said:
I have had the opportunity to own a 96 SER with the same mods as my 92 SER - the 92 is much faster -
I'm not trying to discount the B14s - you can thank our government.
Gee, I wonder why I'm considering installing a GTi-R engine in my car...OBDII royally bites the big one. I just feel sorry for the guys who are buying the new SE-R's - with the OBDIIa computer, you can spend megabucks and gain absolutely nothing. I just sold my 99 Dakota R/T, which was OBDII, and it was much more responsive to mods than a 2000 model.

As far as the gov't. is concerned, this jacking into the computer for emissions testing borders on invasion of privacy. If what comes out of the tailpipe is clean, what difference does it make what the computer says?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts