Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So I'm planning on buying an AEM CAI.
I know this has been discussed, but am I right to assume that water will not be a problem??? If so, will the air bypass valve offer enough protection??? Just really curious... Up here in Pittsburgh it rains and snows quite alot during the winter. Am I being overly cautious? Last question, is this the best CAI out there for the 2002 GXE??

Thanks

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Yes, plenty of discussion.
  • No, you are incorrect that water will not be a problem.
  • Don't know if the bypass is enough. People have been reporting problems with the valve opening when it shouldn't.
  • Snow is no consequence. Compared to us Gulf Coasters, you don't get rain, you get sprinkles. Your worry is standing water. Don't drive through it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am in the same boat. I am looking for a CAI but I am catious about using it because of my location. I live on the Gulf Coast and I do NOT want to blow my engine up just to get a few more horsepower. But I don't want to pay $190 for a WAI when I can get a CAI with more power for $200.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sentrixx said:
Save your money and get a WAI, and relocate your battery and make a heat sheild. You will get greater power from it, without all the bends.
Just want to clarify that a CAI will make more than a WAI even if they get the same temperature air. Not sure if you are saying the WAI will make more power than the CAI, but I wanted to clarify.

CAI make power from the resonance in the tubing and how they are tuned for your car.

·
HYDYST?
113 Posts
If so, will the air bypass valve offer enough protection???
The directions from AEM says not to use their bypass valve with their Sentra CAI models. Apparently the only place it will fit and do any good is too close to the maf?
I personally have had no problems with my CAI in any rain. You would have possible problems in standing water, rain or no rain. IMO

P

·
0 Posts
Well from last I heard there is no AEM for the QG they have an SE one that can be fabbed to make it fit, the bypass valve has gave numerous problems to fellow sentra owners, there are specific CAI for the QG, Hotshot as one as and a few others do as well.
As for the water thing it has been hammered that the CAI will need to be submerged in water to suck water up (no comment about snow) but just make it a WAI for the winter, as mentioned earlier, TONS of people do that.

Sentrixx just wondering if the method you gave has hp #'s to back it up. I would like to see them that is an interesting thought.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Jump over to the sr20 fourms. There is big talk about it. But you all can do what you like. Its what you all what to spend your money on that matters. Paying close to 3 bills for an CAI is pretty steep in my eyes. Seeing that "I" personally don't see the advantage of all the bends and angle that a CAI has, when I can make something that will send just as much cold air into the TB with less work. And as for dyno. No I personally don't have any numbers. I don't need numbers when its common sense. If you think of what is actually is happening when the air runs up the actually bends. It will loose its temp fast compared to direct feed. Unless you do use say something in the mind of keeping the CAI pipeing cold. Then yes, that would be different. But different strokes for different folks. I'm not wasteing my money.

·