Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of the screws that bolt the upper plenum to the other part of the intake seems to not tighten anymore. the bolt is fine, so i'm thinking its the threads in the mounting hole itself. i was wondering if it would be a good idea to 're-thread' the mounting hole and replace w/a new correspondingly sized bolt. problem is, im not sure if the metal the mount is made of will hold or not (i get this idea in my head of it cracking or something while rethreading). what do you guys think?

i double checked the size of the bolt, and length. it's correct, and the bolt's threads are fine, plus the bolt tightens without problems in the other mounting holes(the other bolts, which are the same type and size, wont tighten in that mounting hole as well)

--should i just forcivly screw in a slightly larger bolt, or try rethreading it? Will the metal hold up, since it's the top corner mounting hole?

also, i figure i might as well replace it's gasket at the same time. the upper plenum hasn't been removed or even touched for over 160k miles. it looked fine, no obvious damage (though i only glanced at it). i figure it might be a good idea, couldnt hurt, ne? only thing is....i realize i dont actually know how i should apply a new gasket.

--do i just put it on dry, or do i need some sort of grease/adhesive applied before i do?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hmm...no one's replied....

well, i just used a longer bolt and a nut to tighten the upper to lower intake, no problem.

still, i replaced the gasket where the upper intake meets the lower one. i asked the guy at checkers and he said i wouldn't need any sort of adhesive. just pop it on dry and tourqe it down.

it's made outa some sort of like thin aluminum.... i haven't noticed any problems, but did i do this right, just tourqing it on dry???

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.