Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - I am NOT a car person and am venturing forth looking for a used 2005 or 2006 X-Trail. Curious what specific issues X-trails I should look out for when shopping around. Also, my gut tells me to buy under 200,000 kms, is that wise? Thanks kindly!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know there is an older thread around about that very question...in my opinion, lower kms are better but usually cost more. I bought my first 2006 with 286K on it and sold it a few weeks ago with 437K. And bought another with 211K but had to spend quite a bit on it already, haha... Where are you living? Out east, the prices are way better than here in Alberta. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Molly! I am in Victoria BC. I've found one with 170K and only 1 owner. But a few car 'experts' are telling me it's not a safe/smart/cost-efficient buy and are trying to point me to a Rav4.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had a '99 RAV4, and it was great, but too small, and a gutless motor. They got a bigger engine in 2004, about the same hp as the X-Trail. Toyotas have an excellent reputation, but the X-Trail really is fun to drive and has great fuel economy, and parts are easy to come by. If you can do your own work, that is a bonus! This forum has advice on every thing you can imagine. Guys on here have saved me a bundle. Anyway, I posted a video awhile back comparing the X-Trail, RAV4, Honda, etc. in a neat contest....check it out! Guess who won? :unsure: :giggle:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a '06 Xtrail i bought in 2015. I do not live too far from you in Vancouver. Let me start out by saying i really like my Xtrail and has been a good used vehicle but i have put money into it, some for maintenance /to run better/smoother and a few bucks more for upgrades such as led light bulbs, car stereo, tires . I have owned many vehicles in my 34 year car ownership experience and believe it or not, have either driven or been inside thousands of other vehicles due to my 25plus years as an Autoglass Technician. So keep in mind i'm in no was dissing the Xtrail, but just stating a few things i dislike . It can be a fine vehicle to drive with a good, decent 2.5L engine straight out of the nissan altima. The four speed auto o/d transmission is flawless and reliable. The ride comfort is nice, braking performance is great. I like how the vehicle is kinda boxy shaped with big upright glass that is easy too see out of, seats are comfy, rear folding/split seats, pretty good light duty awd system, much more positives to say. So here are a few things that are kinda annoying: Door locks that will easily freeze in winter under the ideal conditions and doors that will not latch shut if you manage to get them to open. Victoria gets very little freezing winter nights but trust me, the time it does happen you will be super pissed off and may be late for work. The big beef i have with the Xtrail is it was never sold in the USA, so aftermarket parts are very limited online . Sure you can order a few basic parts from Rockauto or a few other places ( and pay exchange /shipping)....but sometimes you just want to walk into Lordco, CND Tire, Napa or any other autoparts store and asks the parts counter guy for something with no head scratching issues or being told ''we do not carry any parts for your Xtrail, sorry!''. Same thing online or chatting with a mechanic about what performance parts or fun little extra accessories you can add on. Hard vehicle to track stuff down for it. Now i have driven a few toyota rav4s with the four cylinder engines and altho it has roughly the same 170 hp as the Xtrail, rav 4 seemed kinda slow and boring. But the rav4 is so common, so easy to buy parts or get serviced that it is like a owning a toyota corolla. Another japanese vehicle i'd consider is a 07-14 mitsubishi outlander with awd/4 cylinder /auto. Or even better, the V6 model. Anyways, you can private message me if you like to discuss the pros and cons of owning an Xtrail versus another japanese suv. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts