Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to advance the timing on my 96 sentra but I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of doing this would be. Yes i did read the info on sentra.net but I want a little more info on this. I realize i need to run 91 octane. What kind of power will I gain, low end?? mid range?? high end??

·
Dan the car meet man
404 Posts
I agree with James. Don't go over 15 degrees. A mechanic advanced the timing up to 22 degrees on my car! I asked him for 15 but anyway, the side effects advanced timing might cause are used & damaged wires & rotors & distributors at an alarming rate. That's what happened to me, I did not have knocking or anything like that, just after 2 weeks at a time the car would have a strange rev.... instead of 4 equal pulses, it sounded & felt like 3 pulses and 1 putter. After a month and 2 sets of wires, distributors, and rotors I had the timing checked by another shop and they corrected it to 13 or so degrees.

I also had a Nology Wire Amplifier with OEM plugs & wires, Nissan Distributor & Rotor. When the those parts became faulty I replaced them with an Orielly Distributor & Rotor and NGK Plugs & NGK Wires. I kept the Nology Wire Amplifier too.

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
also.......

it is unadvisable to advance the timing in hotter weather, wherein advancing the timing causes the engine to run hotter, thus loosing power, energy is converted to heat more than it should, thus affecting efficiency, that is also why there is a noticable gain in hp on intercooled turbos, temperature had something to do with it.........

·
Registered
118 Posts
i run 17 and i dont have any problems with it
i think that it is a good setup

good mid range but i lost a little bit on top

·
Registered
136 Posts
Companero Boricua

This has nothing to do with timing. But I have a question. You have your car as "95 B13", B13's are 91-94.5. 95-99 are B14's. I have a B13 and mine is a 93. Im Puertorican too, so I know you guys have the same cars (nissan chassis) as we do here. Just a question. :D
Nos vemos.

·
Registered
118 Posts
q bueno encontrar otro boricua aqui
bueno para q todos entiendan

the sentras we get here were made in mexico
were they still sell b13 chassis as new cars (tsuru)
and the puertorican distributor brought some 95 sentras here

we got the b14 in 96

after 96 we get exactly the same that in the usa

btw we 2002 is the first time that se-r's are sold here new

to get a b13 o b14 se-r you have to import it from the states

·
Registered
118 Posts
it takes less than 10 min

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I've got mine at 13. You might be able to get away with 15 but only if you're running 93 octane, and going higher won't help, as mentioned, but more importantly you're likely to start detonating, and you definately don't want that.

·
Sentra Flogger
108 Posts
lost

i'd also like some help too. i've seen three different sets of timing instructions -- from the haynes manual to the technical section -- and they all seem to conflict. it seems pretty easy when you read it, but...

i have a timing light and three sets of instructions but i'd rather see it done by someone who knows what they're doing so i can learn too.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I mean if you cant be there then no sweat, i know people with timing guns but you were the first one that popped in my head when i thought about advancing the timing. Thanks again. If I am running 91 octane, can i add octane booster to add 3, 5, or dare i do 8 octane?? If so what advantages are there. Will the advancement of my timing affect my fuel mileage??

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
IM RUNNING 15 DEGREES AND RUNING 92OCTAINE NO PROBLEMS

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
hey Chris, im buying a timing light in a couple of days so i can bring mine as well, and you know i HAVE to be there :D personally im going to advance mine to 12 degrees since its getting pretty hot here in sunny california.:cool:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts