Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Nissan Rouge model without roof rails. I’m finding some information about possibly adding aftermarket but I would prefer not to drill holes to add them. I’m thinking if I get the rails from factory Nissan I’d be able to take the plastic cover trim off and should be able to add the factory rails to be able and add the factory roof racks. Any help, ideas, assistance greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Everything is held in place with pressure clips. The bracket in the rear just forward of the cargo door has two alligator type clips on the left and right side of the bracket. Easy way to remove is with the cargo door open, gain access from the back side of the bracket with a long pry tool. From the inside of the bracket you can softly open the clips and pull it up. The rest are just pressure clips, just pry up and they pop off. The front most clip is slightly different and seems to have a bit of sealant (silicone?)
They is no evidence of mounting bolts/nuts. Part Number: 73820-6FK1B should be something like what is required, but without drilling holes, I'm out of ideas here.
Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am wanting to add racks as well. I found that Thule and many others still make mounts that use a j bend arm to cinch the foot down. This arm hooks to the hard bend at the top of the door opening area. It is a less than factory look but it means not having to drill holes.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Be very, VERY careful about this little clip all the way at the front:
Hood Product Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

The hole underneath that clip does not have a double wall underneath it, it goes straight into the car. Water entering will drop straight onto the headliner, down the A-pillar, and into the carpet. There's a service bulletin about them for the '21's, some had folded gaskets from the factory and caused leaks in brand new vehicles. The bulletin instructs us to discard the gasket and put sealer underneath a fresh clip. You can see that the clip in the pic has been sealed, don't disturb it if possible and re-seal it with RTV if you do. If you find yours have no sealing, pop the plugs loose and follow the bulletin, discard the foam gasket and put RTV all the way around the hole.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am wanting to add racks as well. I found that Thule and many others still make mounts that use a j bend arm to cinch the foot down. This arm hooks to the hard bend at the top of the door opening area. It is a less than factory look but it means not having to drill holes.
Yeah could work pretty good, but wow on the price. I told the sales person roof racks were pretty important to me and would've considered the upper model just to get them. Just unfortunate Nissan doesn't even have the factory dummy nuts installed on all models for an easy upgrade addition.
Be very, VERY careful about this little clip all the way at the front:
The hole underneath that clip does not have a double wall underneath it, it goes straight into the car. Water entering will drop straight onto the headliner, down the A-pillar, and into the carpet. There's a service bulletin about them for the '21's, some had folded gaskets from the factory and caused leaks in brand new vehicles. The bulletin instructs us to discard the gasket and put sealer underneath a fresh clip. You can see that the clip in the pic has been sealed, don't disturb it if possible and re-seal it with RTV if you do. If you find yours have no sealing, pop the plugs loose and follow the bulletin, discard the foam gasket and put RTV all the way around the hole.
I love RTV 🤤. Another weird design. One would think, "who's great idea was this, why not make them all the same clips...??" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I love RTV 🤤. Another weird design. One would think, "who's great idea was this, why not make them all the same clips...??" :rolleyes:
If you notice, all the retainers further back are caulked into the roof and can't leak, but the roof rail thins-out in front and there isn't enough overhead for that type of fastening. However, I can't imagine why they didn't caulk in a smaller "post pawl" socket like they use on practically all taillight mountings. Those are waterproof and just pop loose like a plastic pawl, but the post is metal so they're sturdier. 'Nother blue light special in the Go Figure Department. :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts