Nissan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
I personally liked the NSX better before they bastardized it. Props on the effort though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Credit is due for the amount of quality work put into the car, but the end result, in my opinion, is not worth it. Why not spend money/time into making it look unique instead of similar to a car that it can never be?

Fiberglass work is still amazing, wouldn't mind having them design a few parts for my cars.

·
In Ur Threadz - Deleting!
1,906 Posts
They did a great job! I don't care if it is a mock-up. A lot of people buy the kit cars for the old Shelby Cobras so there really is no difference...except price, as Alex pointed out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
To me, the difference there is that the good shelby cobra kits are actually complete replicas including the frame and original shelby 427 engine/drivetrain. So the finished product ends up not only looking like the original, but driving like it too and actually being identical in almost every way. The nsx kit or other replica body kits on the other hand, only look similar from the outside (and sometimes even that is a stretch) and thats about as far as the similarities go. However much you wish it was a ferarri, its never going to drive or feel like one. IMHO, re-bodied car replicas like that are just automotive "poseurs". In this instance, if you started out with a mint NSX like that, its already a great car in its own right and I think tearing it up and trying to make it look like a ferarri just demeans and devalues the car it really is. Oh well, no accounting for taste. :cheers:

·
Registered
612 Posts
The car looks fantastic. Maybe a bastard, but it's a smooth bastard. :thumbup:

KaMiKaZeE said:
To me, the difference there is that the good shelby cobra kits are actually complete replicas including the frame and original shelby 427 engine/drivetrain. So the finished product ends up not only looking like the original, but driving like it too and actually being identical in almost every way.

I beg to differ. Shelby kits are in no way identical to the hand-built cobras that go for a million. If they were, there'd be no reason for them to build cars because everyone would just buy the cheap knock-off. AND kits don't come with drivetrains. You have to provide the engine/tranny combo yourself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
nova73guy said:
I beg to differ. Shelby kits are in no way identical to the hand-built cobras that go for a million. If they were, there'd be no reason for them to build cars because everyone would just buy the cheap knock-off. AND kits don't come with drivetrains. You have to provide the engine/tranny combo yourself.
I am fully aware the kits do not come with drivetrain, thats not my point. The drivetrain they are meant to use (the good kits) is the same as the original car. You just have to find it yourself. And the million dollar cobras you speak of are expensive because they are originals. They don't make the original true shelby cobra 427 anymore to my knowledge. That is why they are special and rare. Nevertheless, I do know there is still at least a couple companies who sell a cobra kit which will reproduce the original quite closely. Of course it will never be the "real deal" technically, but its mighty close. It would be like if there was a Ferarri F-50 kit which rolls on a reproduced F-50 frame, uses reproduced F-50 body panels, and requires you to find and install a real F-50 drivetrain. It still wouldn't be a Ferarri F-50, and therefore its not nearly as valuable. And the collectors are still going to want the original, no matter how good the kits get.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've always been more into the nostaligia of the brand rather than the just the looks. Owning a real cobra is something the says you have class, regardless that the neighbor has a kit that's been modified to outperform the original. If someone prefers to own a kit, so they can drive something that resembles an original, by all means, but I would personally rather own the real thing rather than a knock-off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts