Nissan Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
this issue with taking the rubber knob off, it varies, in my case, just work out, then take it off, and it came off, then put on the se-r "leather" boot, and a silver spacer ring to make it flush, works for me..........like i said before, i don't trust those set-screwed-in knobs, safety issue...........

·
Registered
327 Posts
yes i do

"Do you know what a short shifter actually does? It changes the shift fulcrum so that you don't have as long as a throw."
Like I said ealier I'm tall lanky with long arms{I in my case I dont need a shorter throw!But to each his own. I've installed the es bushing also and it greatly improved the shift feel{feels more direct than a rubber band like the stock one} What I meant was once youve gotten used to it {not a trick that doesnt work}The extra effort is still their just not noticed.I doubt you worn in the bushing{they arn't supose to get softer with use ie urithane doesnt wear You have just compinsated{?}{my spelling sucks}for the difference."Once I first got my short shifter installed it was sort of hard to put in gears, but that's also cause I put in an ES bushing. But after I "broke" everything in, it works great...easy as the stock shifter to put into gears" As of knowing what one does. Got that covered too. Did you know it adds strain on your trannys syncros?Just follow your shift fulcrum down the slector linkage to the trans it's self.Now emagin what that extra force does to your gears and sycros over time.I had one and it went with my old tranny to that big scrap yard in the sky.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Vice grips will eat up the rubber.Use stevesesx's fulcrum method.
The longer the lever the less effort it take to unscrew the knob.If you dont have a 15" CRESCENT WRENCH{the thingy with the screw looking thing by the u shaped openig}a 10" one will open wide enough to fit the knob.Sit on the passenger side, park your car on level ground or block the wheels to keep the car from rolling.Let the e-brake down for clearance{you might even want to lay the seats back}.Why the passenger seat{lefty loosy righty tighty}and use a row boat technic and row row row your way to a better looking shif knob{member to pull tword you, and if it still dont buge find the biggest screw driver or ratchet extention you got and insert it in the hole at the end of the handle to increace leverage by lenthing the lever til it comes loose{work smarter not harder}.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Trust me guys. mine isn't budging. Bluesx guy? what year is your car? mine is a 95 which means that stock one has been on it for prob close to 8 years, it doesn't wanna move. I tried to get it off. I may try the whole cutting thing eventually. Anyways. what would you guys suggest is the best short shifter?

·
Registered
702 Posts
WildGirl said:
Trust me guys. mine isn't budging. Bluesx guy? what year is your car? mine is a 95 which means that stock one has been on it for prob close to 8 years, it doesn't wanna move. I tried to get it off. I may try the whole cutting thing eventually. Anyways. what would you guys suggest is the best short shifter?
The majority of the guys here use B&M, Pacesetter or an SMC short shifter, all have had great opinions and are very satisfying. Look into these products, personally soon i am gonna go with the SMC short shifter.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts