Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or are the shifters in the 200sx really long. does anyone know of a shifter that is actually SHORT. i got one on ebay but it just makes the throws shorter and i am stuck with it now. is there one that is like half the length or something out there?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its called go buy a shifter knob and take a hack saw to your shifter lever.... Short throw shifters are throw related not length related. Some come with adjustable hight also but i'd just chop the one you got down..... Make sure you get a shifter knob that attaches with set screws also because the stock knob won't work after cutting it down.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Yea like NJ said just hack it, but the only thing bad about that is it might lengthen up the throw a lil bit more. That was one of the 1st things i did to my car. I took a body saw, and a drop cloth and went to town. Just be cautious not to cut it too low. Cut it a lil higher thatn you want it, you can always cut a lil more off. But you cant make it grow another inch......lol

·
Registered
702 Posts
do sparco shift knobs come with screws? i would bet because of the price but im plannin on getting SMC short shifter and a sparco globe x knob

·
Cone Dodger
3,093 Posts
i don't really trust the knobs with the set-screws, i'd still go for the ol-fashioned know screwing in thing, and aren't real short shifters have that?? safety issue thing when going really fast...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re : shorter Shifter

Now im sure when i post this there will be mixed feeling about the brand that i am about to mention but yes there is a Great short throw shifter out there for the B13 - B14 models and it is the Pacesetter short throw shifter it gives a tighter shift range as well as offering a variable high option, the shifter isnt made by pacesetter only marketed by them I have this shifter in My B-14 combined with a greddy Counter balance shift knob (which ways around 1, 1 1/2 lbs) the combo works great for me so if anyone is interested Please give it a shot it is moderatly priced u can find the shifter for around 60 -65 bucks and the shift knob will run u about 45

Enjoy the ride
SkylineSentra

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Best shifters are made buy B&M... Then spend the bucks on a nice flashy MOMO shift knob....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I did....B&M short shifter and MOMO knob. Cost a lot, but it was well worth it. The shifter shortens the throw a lot, and is also shorter in height as well. It looks really good and functions even better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I like the stock shifter.It makes a good hand rest when playin with the radio.{I'm about 6ft1}Besides it shifts easy.I'd rather have one thats easy to put into gear than one thats takes extra effort too.A shorter shifter really doesn't make you shift quicker its your muscles tricking your brain because you have to push and pull hard to do the same thing.

Thats just my 2 cents...

·
Banned
809 Posts
yea, do what i did, take the shifter, take the stock knob off first, by screwing that hoe as hard as you can counter clockwise, it will pop, and unscrew, then saw off like 3-5 inches, and then saw the screw piece off of that, and then you just mold/sauder/weld it on the shifter, it makes it super small, i like, and its perfect size for a handle to rest your hand on, while messing with the radio: )

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck getting the sock shifter knob off..... I don't know one person that got it off in one piece... lol I had the viece grips out and everything trying to twist it off... I resorted to the good old dremmel and just bought a new shifter knob...

·
Registered
702 Posts
i bought my 200SX with about 20,000 miles in dec. it was a good deal and i was just drivin one day and tryed to take it off (when i stopped of course)...i unscrewed it with a matter of just light twistin maybe a little bit tough but no big deal and it was pretty simple...maybe they are all different. this accordian style shift boot it getting on my nerves...i wanna find a nice blue leather shift boot

·
Registered
327 Posts
Some here I got mine off with a 15" cresent wrench, No real problem. Got a b&m chrome and silver ball now and let me tell you it gets freakin hot!!I mean Hot{1st degree burn hot}!I aim my center a/c ducts at it.Takes about 10 mins. to cool it off to the point I can leave my hand on it.{The price of style I guess}

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I'd rather have one thats easy to put into gear than one thats takes extra effort too.A shorter shifter really doesn't make you shift quicker its your muscles tricking your brain because you have to push and pull hard to do the same thing."

Oh yea? Do you know what a short shifter actually does? It changes the shift fulcrum so that you don't have as long as a throw. Once I first got my short shifter installed it was sort of hard to put in gears, but that's also cause I put in an ES bushing. But after I "broke" everything in, it works great...easy as the stock shifter to put into gears, a more direct feel, and nice short throws. A short shifter isn't a trick or anything like that, it actually works and doesn't just fool your brain into anything.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I know this much.. I have a new shift knob to put on and of course my stupid stock one is NOT BUDGING. stupid thing. Tried it all, vice grips included. i'm too afraid of breaking the damn shifter itself. we're having an install meet here in cali soon so I'm gonna have one of the guys help me out.

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
i used a hack-saw. just cut right down the middle of the stock one. Once i got down to the actual shifter rod, i used a utillity knife to cut the rest of the way down. Then took some plyers and ripped the rest off.

·
Registered
702 Posts
i dont think all of you guys need to hack your stock knob in pieces....it takes some twisting to get the glue off and your done.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts