Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my clutch, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna get an ACT or JWT stage 2 clutch. I think the JWT clutch is designed for for more power, which would be useful if I even went turbo but I'm sure it costs more. I also like the idea of maintaining the stock pedal feel w/ the JWT clutch, but again it depends how much the JWT clutch costs.

Also I was looking at installing a lightened flywheel while I'm replacing the clutch. I've been looking at a fidanza flywheel since they are much cheaper than any others I've seen ($350). Their website dosen't list the weight of their flywheel, but ptuning.com has it listed as 7.75lbs which seems a bit too light. I'm also looking at the JWT one in NPM which is 10lbs. If 7.75lbs is the weight of the fidanza flywheel, would this be too light for a daily driver?

Also does anyone know what the JWT clutch or flywheel costs? They have no info on their website about it.

I'm trying to make up my mind soon since my current clutch is dead so I can't drive my car.
Finally I've read a writeup of the clutch replacement procedure but can anyone tell me of any particular difficulties I might encounter?

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about lightening my stock flywheel, but since I don't have a spare one, or really any way to get around w/o my car I decided to buy a lightened flywheel.

In the end I decided on buying a fidanza flywheel ($300) and a JWT clutch. I finally called up JWT and their flywheel is $425, which isn't too bad but more than I wanted to spend. I'm still not exactly sure how much the fidanza flywheel weighs, the best answer i got was 'around 8lbs'. Hopefully it's not too light for daily driving.

EDIT: Assuming everything goes well I'll probably be selling my stock flywheel in a week or so if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I lightened "a" stock flywheel to 11lbs (stock is ~18lbs), for use in my auto to manual swap. Other than a few test drives around the block, I can't comment too much on the flywheel. But, I went the stock lightened based on Wes's experience with his.

Just by curiousity, how much did the JWT clutch cost you? I threw in a used clutch in mine when doing the swap, just to make sure the trans and everything worked ok. Now that I have the trans out for some new syncros and Phantom Grip LSD, I am going to put an ACT or JWT clutch in.

·
Boost anyone?
1,625 Posts
I am also in this dilemma. I want to go with either an ACT clutch or a JWT clutch. First I wanted to go with ACT cause i have had prior experience with them and i loved it. But then on Project 200sx, they used a JWT clutch which Mike Young says is really good.

Johnand: How did you lighten the stock flywheel??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Wes, sorry, missed that part ;)

Teknokid, I just took the flywheel to an automotive machine shop and told them to lighten, balance, and surface the flywheel. They took it down to 11lbs, and said that was as light as they could comfortably get it. I would agree with them. 11lbs is about as light as I would go on the factory flywheel. Anymore, and I believe the you would compromise it's strength.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I personally have always gone with Clutchmasters Stage 3. for ultimate grab and stock pedal feel. the fidanza is not too light. i have one on my Mazda Mx-6 V6. You will notice your RPM's rise and fall much quicker but that feels great when you are racing.
~lalo

·
Registered
47 Posts
wes said:
JWT stage 2 is about $450 or thereabout. I believe the JWT flywheel is about $400-$500 as well. I lightened the stocker to 10 LBS, have had it for over 2 years now (flywheel) and have had zero problems, cost me a whopping $60 to do it.
could you give the name and phone number of the shop that did your flywheel? Nobody in my area (Baton Rouge, LA) does it so I'm just gonna send it off. thanx in Advance

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
hotboy said:
could you give the name and phone number of the shop that did your flywheel? Nobody in my area (Baton Rouge, LA) does it so I'm just gonna send it off. thanx in Advance
The shop no longer works on street cars. Look in the phone book under machien shops. Call around someone local has to do them.

·
Drifting is for amatures
1,578 Posts
not only that.. maybe they can cut you a deal.. give you headwork, and lighten your flywheel..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts