Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is using a highly concentrated acidic based rim cleaner (like the kind they use at dealerships) on a regular basis safe for rims? Can this progressivly damage the coat on the rims?

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
yea it can damage them, your best bet is to use an acid to clean them, then maintain the clean with a less harsh chemical... you shouldnt need to use acid on wheels for every cleaning... remember to WAX!!!

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
^he said it.
painted and clearcoated rims should really be washed once a week like cars. they should also be waxed on a regular basis. waxing protects them and makes moving gunk easier. any safe cleaner is not going to be "no scrub" so really, a mild soap, warm water and a little scrubbing will be safe, effective and cheap.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before this post i didnt even know you were supposed to wax rims. Heres another question. I use a kind of wax called "nu finish". Its a really old brand of wax but it seems to work fine. Is that safe to use on rims? Can i use any kind of wax on rims or are there specified brands?

·
Whoa...
2,073 Posts
Orbital199 said:
Before this post i didnt even know you were supposed to wax rims. Heres another question. I use a kind of wax called "nu finish". Its a really old brand of wax but it seems to work fine. Is that safe to use on rims? Can i use any kind of wax on rims or are there specified brands?
use any wax on your rims that would work on your car.. they are a painted metal with a clearcloat on them...

***NOTE***90-96 300zx wheels are not clearcoarted and can be easily damaged by acidic wheel cleaners!! not sure about other years or models, just know this one from experience**

1 - 6 of 6 Posts