Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2021 rogue platinum version and I’ve noticed for the last few weeks because I needed the AC that it’s not working. I did start to notice at the end of the colder weather that it didn’t seem to be throwing as much heat either.Set at 61° it’s blowing hot air, it’s 89 out and it’s cooler outside my car than in. I drove to my Nissan dealer who said they hadn’t heard of any issues, however I see on this forum several people had the same issue. I made an appointment for them to see my car on Monday, they couldn’t promise that I’d have it back or that they would look at it before Wednesday and they have no loaner car, so I have a brand new car that I’ll be without and many have said on the forum that Nissan is clueless how to fix it. To me this will fall under the lemon law if this isn’t fixed. I can’t be without a car for 3 days.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't think they changed much in the A/C system on the gen3, so besides low refrigerant, the only common issues will be frozen TXV Valves, stuck compressor swash plates, and road damage to the Ambient Sensor or wiring (it's up in the grille). All three are easy to diagnose. The HVAC uses the same Ambient Sensor as the temp display in the cluster, so if the cluster shows you're in Alaska, that's the problem. Stuck TXV's will only freeze on hot days after a minimum 10~15 minutes of (usually highway) driving, and will seem to fix themselves after the car sits for a little while. Stuck swashes will output good cold if the fan is turned to minimum speed but blow warm as soon as fan speed is increased. For the swash, there's also a Good-No-Good diagnostic that can be scanned from the IPDM. So if the dealer can't diagnose your issue, I have no idea why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There have been numerous complaints about the 2021 rogue and the climate control system and the techs not being able to fix it, saying it will have to come from Nissan. This is a brand new car! There are sensors in the dash that are supposed to trigger the auto climate control. Hot air blowing when the ac is set to 61, on a 89 degree day!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Similar issue on my 2021 Plat Rogue. LO blows cold air and everything else is warm-hot. I noticed too that only LO blows from the rear vents. The moment you change temp air stops blowing all together in rear. Not a happy camper to say the least.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Similar issue on my 2021 Plat Rogue. LO blows cold air and everything else is warm-hot. I noticed too that only LO blows from the rear vents. The moment you change temp air stops blowing all together in rear. Not a happy camper to say the least.
If it blows cold at a 60 setting and warm above then it's definitely a sensor issue. Warm at 60 would be something else, probably refrigerant loss. The loss of vent flow in the rear is different, the system is designed to blow warm air out the floor vents only, cold air out the top vents only. If you check under the seats, you'll find air there. That's normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it blows cold at a 60 setting and warm above then it's definitely a sensor issue. Warm at 60 would be something else, probably refrigerant loss. The loss of vent flow in the rear is different, the system is designed to blow warm air out the floor vents only, cold air out the top vents only. If you check under the seats, you'll find air there. That's normal.
Yes, sounds like sensor for sure. The rear vents I was referring to are the actual vents passengers in the backseat can adjust. When temp is turned up above LO air no longer blows. This is all very disappointing given the fact the car is less than two weeks old.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes, sounds like sensor for sure. The rear vents I was referring to are the actual vents passengers in the backseat can adjust. When temp is turned up above LO air no longer blows. This is all very disappointing given the fact the car is less than two weeks old.
There are also floor vents underneath the front seats. When the air blows warm it will come out there and not through the top vents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are also floor vents underneath the front seats. When the air blows warm it will come out there and not through the top vents.
Ahh, so in my scenario because the air is warm (not by choice) the rear adjustable vents stop working? I played with it some more and turned the heat all the up. Nothing came out from the rear. The rear only blows any type of air when on LO. Could this all be related to potential sensor issues? Could any of this have to do with outside temps? It’s been unseasonably cool this weekend and I honestly don’t know if the problem existed a few days ago? Lastly, will Nissan service cover this or am I looking at a hefty expense? The vehicle has 700 miles on it. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
No, it's designed that way. People don't like hot air blowing in their faces or cold air blowing on their feet, so the system is designed to vent warm air at your feet only and cold air at your face only. Get a flashlight and look in the carpet underneath your front seats, you'll find a completely separate set of vents. Those are exclusively for hot air. The ones in the console are exclusively for cold air. They don't both work at the same time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Lastly, will Nissan service cover this or am I looking at a hefty expense? The vehicle has 700 miles on it. Thanks for your feedback.
With 700 miles on the clock, everything in the car is covered by warranty. There shouldn't be the slightest charge for anything, except maybe a rental car if you need one.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
In case I'm not explaining the sensor well, because it's malfunctioning, the HVAC control thinks it needs to blow warm at 61. So the airflow is shifting to the foot vents, even though it shouldn't. But the airflow isn't stopping, it's just coming out the bottom and not the console vents.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In case I'm not explaining the sensor well, because it's malfunctioning, the HVAC control thinks it needs to blow warm at 61. So the airflow is shifting to the foot vents, even though it shouldn't. But the airflow isn't stopping, it's just coming out the bottom and not the console vents.
Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks again for your help.
This also explains why when I press auto it automatically goes to the floor vents as the system thinks I want heat. Just hoping they can fix the issue. Loving the car besides this little hiccup.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
This also explains why when I press auto it automatically goes to the floor vents as the system thinks I want heat. Just hoping they can fix the issue. Loving the car besides this little hiccup.
Exactly. There are only two sensors that can be responsible, the in-car or the intake. It can't be the ambient because that would show up on the dash. The one we've seen so far at our dealership was the in-car, which is an easy fix. But if there's something endemic, I just hope the part doesn't end up back-ordered. Happy to help, you're most welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still don't get cold air with setting on low. It goes in tomorrow, lets see what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
At 61 mine is blowing warm air out of the top vents, at least on the drivers side. I think at one point the front passenger had cool air and I didn't.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Like I said, no cold even at 60 is something else, probably loss of refrigerant for whatever reason. If it's cold at 60 but warm at any other setting, that's a sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If a brand new car is losing refrigerant...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It wouldn't be the first time a new owner drove off the lot and took a roofing nail in the condenser. Sometimes o-rings fold up on installation at the factory, too. Stuff happens, even if it happens rarely.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2021 rogue platinum version and I’ve noticed for the last few weeks because I needed the AC that it’s not working. I did start to notice at the end of the colder weather that it didn’t seem to be throwing as much heat either.Set at 61° it’s blowing hot air, it’s 89 out and it’s cooler outside my car than in. I drove to my Nissan dealer who said they hadn’t heard of any issues, however I see on this forum several people had the same issue. I made an appointment for them to see my car on Monday, they couldn’t promise that I’d have it back or that they would look at it before Wednesday and they have no loaner car, so I have a brand new car that I’ll be without and many have said on the forum that Nissan is clueless how to fix it. To me this will fall under the lemon law if this isn’t fixed. I can’t be without a car for 3 days.
Yes I am having the same problem. Car was in the shop for over a month. They said they fixed it and it's still not fixed. I have been lied to so many times its rediculous. I am ready to hire an attorney if anyone else is let me know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts