Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My AC is not working in my 2010 rogue.. I hear the fan going but it doesn't blow cool air. I assumed that the refrigerant needed to be recharged, so I bought a can. The can has a meter which shows the current pressure in the system when you hook it up and the pressure registers in the normal range. So if the AC system currently has pressurized refrigerant, what is the next likely cause of the problem? Thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,114 Posts
First, you need to eliminate the clutch on the A/C compressor as being the cause. Turn on your A/C and fans to the max setting. Is the clutch engaging? If not, use a voltmeter to determine if the clutch is seeing 12 volts.

If there's voltage, the clutch may be bad. Replacement of the clutch and/or compressor may be necessary. If there's no voltage, there may not be sufficient refrigerant in the system to engage the low pressure cut-off switch that cycles the compressor. If it seems likely that there isn’t enough refrigerant in the system, the typical culprit is a leak. Use an A/C leak detector to check for leaks, including in the condenser and evaporator. Next, use an A/C manifold gauge set to check the high and low side pressures in the system. Are they set within the recommended ranges provided in the FSM?

You can’t accurately diagnose your car’s AC by using the gauge on a recharge kit. The reason is you’re only seeing pressure on the suction or low side of the entire system. That’s not enough information to diagnose a problem. You can really screw up your car’s A/C if you overcharge or undercharge the system. Overcharging actually REDUCES cooling and undercharging can damage the compressor (refrigerant carries the lubricating oil so low refrigerant = oil starvation for the compressor).

So, if you really want to diagnose and fix your AC system yourself, you’ll need an AC manifold gauge set and hoses. Buy a set or rent a set, but don’t kid yourself into thinking you can make any kind of diagnosis without it.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
9,301 Posts
I've seen a number of A/C clutch field coils fail on 2005+ Nissans. If the clutch doesn't appear to be engaging, another thing you can try is an IPDM active test. It's a test that lets you check the circuit from the IPDM to several components, one of them being the A/C clutch, without even getting your hands dirty! Here's a YouTube vid that shows how to do it (it's not on a Rogue, but the procedure is the same):

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have an ‘01Frontier that after several hundred dollars spent on replacing parts determined that a sensor in the evaporator core ( a $25 part ) was not telling my compressor clutch to engage. It is difficult to replace this part because of its location.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
cagailes281
Nissan Forum
Nissan Forums is the go to place to talk about your favorite Nissan model, including the Rogue, Maxima, Altima and even sports cars like the 370Z and 200SX.
Full Forum Listing